[net.unix-wizards] out of order messages

lauren@RAND-UNIX.ARPA (01/16/85)

I'm starting to see unix-wizards messages out of origination
sequence, from the same person and site.  In theory, I don't
think this should be occurring if all messages are being
delivered in order.  For example, three of my messages, sent
in order by me into the network, were delivered out of order
by BRL.  Any ideas?

--Lauren--

geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) (01/20/85)

In article <7379@brl-tgr.ARPA> Lauren Weinstein writes:

>I'm starting to see unix-wizards messages out of origination
>sequence, from the same person and site.  In theory, I don't
>think this should be occurring if all messages are being
>delivered in order.  For example, three of my messages, sent
>in order by me into the network, were delivered out of order
>by BRL.  Any ideas?

Sure.  If BRL batches them and then sends them out via UUCP, the articles
could wind up in different batch files.  Then UUCP, in time-honored fashion,
processes files in directory order rather than time order (on both ends,
no less!), so the articles quickly become randomized.
--

	Geoff Kuenning
	...!ihnp4!trwrb!desint!geoff

lauren@RAND-UNIX.ARPA (01/27/85)

The problem is related to multiple mailer processes at BRL, not
UUCP sorting.  And, by the way, most versions of UUCP sort files
to some extent, some in comparatively small batches, others in
batches as large as the directories if necessary.

--Lauren--