[sci.space.shuttle] STS-40 Press Kit

TNEDDERH@ESOC.BITNET (Thorsten Nedderhut) (05/16/91)

Peter E. Yee wrote a very long article about STS-40.
Two questions:

1. Does there exist more Space Shuttle abort modes? Can you give me more
   detailed information about them?

2. The article (part II) was missing the pages 43 following.

Regrads
             -Thorsten-
Thorsten Nedderhut                             tnedderh@esoc
mbp Software & Systems GmbH                    ESA/ESOC/ECD/OAD/STB
Dortmund, Germany                              Darmstadt, Germany

fcrary@lightning.Berkeley.EDU (Frank Crary) (05/17/91)

In article <91136.092515TNEDDERH@ESOC.BITNET> TNEDDERH@ESOC.BITNET (Thorsten Nedderhut) writes:
>1. Does there exist more Space Shuttle abort modes? Can you give me more
>   detailed information about them?

Pulling this out of the Rodgers Commision Report (pp178-184):

Return-to-Launch-Site Abort (RTSL): Used if a main engine fails in the
first four min. of flight. After the Soild Rocket Boosters burn out, (if
the failure was in the first 2 min.) and after "excess propellant" is
burned. The shuttle turns around (its still in the atmosphere) and lands at
its launch site.

Transatlantic Landing Abort (TAL): Used if the engines fail later, or
less completely, that in the case of a RTSL. The shuttle alters its
launch profile so that it will fly a ballistic "hop" to a landing site
in Europe or Africa (I believe the primary site is in Spain).

Abort-Once-Around (AOA): If the shuttle works well enough to go into
orbit, but is unable to reach a stable orbit (e.g. so low that atmospheric
drag is a major factor.) The shuttle flys ONE orbit, then re-enters and
lands at Edwards. (Better hope the landing conditions are OK.)

Abort-TO-Orbit (ATO): Occurs in the event of a very late or limited
failure of a main engine. In this case, the shuttle goes into a low, but
stable, orbit. This may or may not cause a mission failure. A zero-gravity
science mission would not care that they were not in the intended orbit,
so long as it is a stable and recoverable orbit (Which the ATO is. If the
orbit isn't, they Abort-Once-Around.) Some missions (Earth  observing,
spacecraft launch, etc. ) may be sensitive to the final orbit. In such a
case the mission would be a failure. (I believe the ATO orbit is too low
to modify significantly with the OMS rockets.)
This abort mode was flown once. Flight 19 (51-F), orbiter Challenger,
(If I'm wrong it was Flight 17(51-B) of Challenger) made an Abort to
Orbit in 1985.

These also exist emergency modes, such as ditching the orbiter in the
ocean. This, of course, destroyes the orbiter, but might save the crew.

After the Challenger loss, these modes were improved to make them safer,
but I belive the main aspects (as I discribed above) were not changed.

				     Frank Crary
				     UC Berkeley

schriber@horizon.COM (Mike Schriber) (05/19/91)

About the Challenger making an ATO:  Does anyone know what caused the abort modeon that flight?

--
Mike Schriber					|  schriber@horizon.com
Science Horizons Guest Account			|  (619)755-6042 voice

In article <150@toad.horizon.COM> schriber@horizon.COM (Mike Schriber) writes:
>About the Challenger making an ATO:  Does anyone know what caused the abort
>mode on that flight?

Malfunctioning temperature sensors shut down one engine (and came close to
shutting down another; they were manually overridden).
--
And the bean-counter replied,           | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"beans are more important".             |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

TNEDDERH@ESOC.BITNET (Thorsten Nedderhut) (05/22/91)

About the Challenger performing the ATO: is it true that is payload was the
german funded D2 mission (Spacelab for microgravity environment? And what were
its foreseen and actual orbits?
Regards
           -Thorsten

Thorsten Nedderhut             |  Jetzt geht's rund, sprach der
mbp Software & Systems GmbH    |  Papagei und flog in den
c/o ESA/ESOC/ECD/OAD/STB       |  Ventilator.
Darmstadt, Germany             |
tnedderh@esoc.bitnet           |  (n.n.)

p515dfi@mpirbn.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de (Daniel Fischer) (05/22/91)

In article <91142.084340TNEDDERH@ESOC.BITNET> TNEDDERH@ESOC.BITNET (Thorsten Nedderhut) writes:
>About the Challenger performing the ATO: is it true that is payload was the
>german funded D2 mission (Spacelab for microgravity environment? And what were
>its foreseen and actual orbits?

No, it was an astronomical mission that used only the SL platform as a means
of transporting telescopes (similar to Astro-1). D2 came later that year, and
then the orbiter was gone...