[sci.space.shuttle] Re : Launch info, etc...

gandalf@pro-electric.cts.com (Ken Hollis) (06/12/91)

Greetings and Salutations:

From: andre@cix.compulink.co.uk (Andre Willey)
>Don't forget to have your car radio tuned into the local station which
>carries the KSC stuff.

FM Station 91.5.  It is a local religious station.

>I don't suppose there's an easy way to get a pass into KSC for a better
>view, if you ask in advance, is there?

The next launch is sometime in August.  You may write to the following
address for a launch pass:

NASA Vehicle Pass
PA - Pass
Kennedy Space Center, FL
                       32899

In general, if you know the launch that you wish, ask for that launch.  If
you
know a general time frame, then ask for that time frame.

                  SPACE SHUTTLE MANIFEST (June 11 1991)

STS      Date    Orbiter    Payload

 43     Aug. 91  Atlantis   TDRS-E (Tracking and Data Relay Satellite),
SSBUV-3
 48     Oct. 91  Discovery  UARS (Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite)
 44     Dec. 91  Atlantis   DSP (Defense Support Program)
 42     Feb. 92  Discovery  IML-1 (Int. Microgravity Laboratory), GAS
Bridge
 45     Apr. 92  Atlantis   ATLAS-1, SSBUV-4
 49     May  92  Endeavour  Intelsat VI Reboost, ASEM
 50     Jun. 92  Columbia   USML-1 (United States Microgravity Laboratory),
EDO
 46     Aug. 92  Atlantis   TSS-1 (Tethered Satellite System), EURECA-1L
 47     Sep. 92  Endeavour  SL-J (Spacelab Japan), GAS Bridge
 52     Sep. 92  Columbia   LAGEOS II, USMP-1, CANEX
 53     Nov. 92  Discovery  DoD
 51     Jan. 92  Endeavour  ACTS (Advanced Communications Technology
Satellite)
 54     Feb. 93  Columbia   EURECA-1R, SPAS-ORFEUS, GAS Bridge, SHOOT
 55     Mar. 93  Discovery  TDRS-F (Tracking and Data Relay Satellite)
 56     Apr. 93  Endeavour  SL-D2 (Spacelab Germany)
 57     May  93  Atlantis   SRAD/TPITS, WSF-1, IEH, ISEM-1
 58     Jun. 93  Columbia   SLS-2 (Spacelab Life Sciences), EDO
 59     Jul. 93  Discovery  Spacehab-1, OAET-1, CAPL, FLOATZONE-1
 60     Aug. 93  Endeavour  ATLAS-2, SPTN-2, SSBUV-A-1
 61     Sep. 93  Atlantis   USMP-2, SPTN-3, CMSE-1, payload oppty

ASEM    Assembly of Station by Extravehicular activity Methods
ATLAS   Atmospheric Laboratory for Applications and Science
CANEX   Canadian Experiments
CAPL    Capillary Pump Loop experiment
CETA    Crew and Equipment Translation Aid
CIRRIS  Cryogenic Infrared Radiance Instrument for Shuttle
CMSE    Candidate Materials Space Exposure (extended duration)
EDO     Extended Duration Orbiter
EURECA  European Retrievable Carrier
FLOATZONE  Floatzone crystal of Cadmium Telluride (CdTe)
FTS     Flight Telerobotic Servicer
GAS     Get Away Special
IBSS    Infrared Background Signature Survey
IEH     International Extreme-UV far-UV Hitchhiker
ISEM    ITA Standardised Experiment
LAGEOS  Laser Geodynamics Satellite
MPEC    Multi-Purpose Experiment Cannister
OAET    Office of Aeronautics, Exploration, and Technology
ORFEUS  Orbiting and Retrievable Far and Extreme Ultraviolet Spectrometer
SHOOT   Super fluid Helium On Orbit Transfer demonstration
SPAS    Shuttle Pallet Satellite
SPTN    Shuttle Pointed autonomous research Tool for astronomy (aka
SPARTAN)
SRAD    Shuttle Radiator Assembly Demonstration
SSBUV   Shuttle Solar Backscatter Ultra-Violet instrument
STP     Space Test Program
TPITS   Two Phase Integration Thermal System
USMP    United States Microgravity Payload
WSF     Wake Shield Facility

>From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>>From: petej@phred.UUCP (Peter Jarvis)
>>Congress can't even decide on how much to appropriate for a minimal Space
>>Station.........

>This may have more than a little to do with the fact that the Space
Station
>has spent roughly a decade and $5G+ on studies to date, with no hardware
>to show for it...

Of course Congress has done nothing to increase this spending (like
changing thier minds every year (or less) on the design & costs).
Admittedly NASA has not done a sterling job at cost estimation, but I lay
AT LEAST equal blame on congress if not more.

Ken Hollis

Contact Ken Hollis through these paths:
     ProLine:  gandalf@pro-electric
     ARPA:     crash!pro-electric!gandalf@nosc.mil
     UUCP:     crash!pro-electric!gandalf
     Internet: gandalf@pro-electric.cts.com

ccoprmd@prism.gatech.EDU (Matthew DeLuca) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun12.073610.26710@crash.cts.com> gandalf@pro-electric.cts.com (Ken Hollis) writes:
>Greetings and Salutations:
>
>From: andre@cix.compulink.co.uk (Andre Willey)
>>Don't forget to have your car radio tuned into the local station which
>>carries the KSC stuff.
>
>FM Station 91.5.  It is a local religious station.

If you're not interested in religious stations, I would highly recommend
AM 580 out of Orlando; they had *excellent* coverage when I was down for the
STS-38 launch late last year, with a minimum of clueless Dan Rather-like
chatter.

--
Matthew DeLuca
Georgia Institute of Technology      "I'd hire the Dorsai, if I knew their