[sci.space.shuttle] STS-26 Wakeup Instant Replay

freed@nss.FIDONET.ORG (Bev Freed) (06/22/91)

Due to popular demand, Bev Freed (a.k.a. The Uppity Wench) has
pulled the following material from her press archives for your
enlightenment.  Sorry that one piece is unclear.  Someone must
have lifted the transcript from my files so I went back to the
audio tape. And on a personal note -- I wish they'd do more of
this stuff.  I really get tired of all the school fight songs.

STS-26 Discovery - Sept 1988

FD2 Wakeup

Robin Williams:
GOOD MORNING, DISCOVERY!  GOOD MORNING, DISCOVERY!
Good morning, Discovery....rise and shine, boys.  Time to start doin'
that shuttle shuffle.  You what I mean?  Hey!  Here's a little song
comin' from the billions of us to the five of you.  Rick!  Start 'em
off, baby.  The Hauck-ster!  To you!

[Sung to the tune of The Green Acres Theme]

On orbit is the place to be,
Free-wheeling on Discovery.
Earth rollin' by so far below.
Just give 'er the gas and look at this baby go!

We can't believe we made it here
So high above the atmosphere.
We just adore the scenery.
Yeah, Houston's great, but gimme that zero-gee!

Hey!  Look out the window!  That's me!
Cap'n, I'm hungry.  Let's eat!
Maybe we'll land at White Sands.
Uh-oh.  Hey, look, Ma!  No hands!

This is the life!  Oh, what a flight!
Earth orbit, we are here!

FD3 Wakeup

[Sung to the tune of "I Get Around" by the Beach Boys]

Round, round, orbit round.  We orbit round.
Yea, orbit round, round, round.  We're off the ground.

We orbit round.  Man, we're goin' to town.
Whenever we touch down, they come from miles around.

Well, we rode 'er on off of Pad39B.
The most sophisticated baby that you ever did see.
And when we hit the ignition and we left the ground,
Man, our tail was shakin', pushin' 8 million pounds.

We orbit round.  Man, we're goin' to town.
Whenever we touch down, they come from miles around.

Now, we're racking up the miles with a whole lotta power.
We're goin' 17,500 an hour.
Well, we take 'er up high and we can bring 'er down low.
Only only thing we can't do is order pizza to go.

We orbit round.  Man, we're goin' to town.
Whenever we touch down, they come from miles around.

FD4 Wakeup

Robin Williams:
"Hi.  Pinky?  It's me, Robin.  I went to Claremont Men's College while
you were going to Harvey Mudd.  Hehehehehe!  Hey, here's a song goin'
out to all those [unclear] girls."

[Sung to the Mickey Mouse Club Theme Song]

There's a college way up north that's made for you and me.
H-A-R-V-E-Y M-U-double-D.
Harvey Mudd.  Harvey Mudd!  Harvey Mudd.  Harvey Mudd!
Forever let us hold our slide rules high.
High!  High!  High!
Calculus and Newton's Law and relativity.
H-A-R-V-E-Y M-U-double-D.

There's a college way up north that's made for you and me.
H-A-R-V-E-Y M-U-double-D.
Harvey Mudd.  Harvey Mudd!  Harvey Mudd.  Harvey Mudd!
Forever let us hold our slide rules high.
High!  High!  High!
Calculus and Newton's Law and relativity.
H-A-R . . .
Are you awake yet?
V-E-Y . . .
Why?  Because it's time to eat breakfast from a toothpaste tube.
M-U-double-D.

FD 4 Crew wakeup back to Mission Control

Begin theme: "Star Trek"

William Shatner:
"Good morning, Houston.  Is everybody awake down there?  This is
Captain James T.  -- No, hold on, I'm gonna do this properly.  Star
date 1989.  This is Captain James T. Kirk of the Starship Enterprise
on temporary assignment to the Space Shuttle Discovery.  Here in space
(shall I call it the Final Frontier?) the Discovery crew is alert and
awaiting your morning orders for its five-day mission to perform new
experiments, to seek out new information, to boldly go where no
astronauts have gone before.  That's fine for them, but can somebody
help me find my ship?  It's lost, and I've gotta beam outta here.
Keep up the good work, Houston.  Kirk out!"

[Shatner indeed said "1989" -- Bev]

FD5 Wakeup

[Sung to the tune of "Fun, Fun, Fun" by the Beach Boys]

Well, we fired our main engines and our boosters just to get off the
ground, now.
Man, they heard it for miles.  We really put out a deafening
sound now.
And then we made it to orbit.  Now we're goin' just as fast as we
can now.
And we'll have fun, fun, fun 'til we gotta put the shuttle away!

Well, we're movin' so fast, but, man, we're hardly usin' any
gas now.  (We're moving so fast now.  We're moving so fast.)
And the odometer's spinning like top, but it ain't gonna
last now. (Ain't gonna last now.  It ain't gonna last.)
Yeah, we can make it 'round the planet and back in just an hour and a
half now.  (An hour and a half now.  An hour and a half.)
And we'll have fun, fun, fun 'til we gotta put the shuttle away!

Well, we knew all along we'd have to give another crew a
turn now.  (Give 'em a turn now.  Give 'em a turn.)
So, we'll line ourselves up for a final de-orbital
burn now.  (De-orbital burn now.  De-orbital burn.)
And though we've been here before, you know some day we're all gonna
return now.  (Gonna return now.  We're gonna return.)
And we'll have fun, fun, fun 'til we gotta put the shuttle away!
And we'll have fun, fun, fun 'til we gotta put the shuttle away!
Ahoo Oo Oo Oooo oooo ooo (repeat)

--- Opus-CBCS 1.20.18
 * Origin: NSS BBS - Ad Astra! (412)366-5208 *HST* (1:129/104.0)
--
Bev Freed - via FidoNet node 1:129/104
UUCP: ...!pitt!nss!freed