[sci.math.symbolic] Russell's set... paradox... stone too big to lift

markb@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Mark Biggar) (08/04/87)

The real problem with "Can God create a stone too big to lift?" is that
"lift" is ill-defined.  Lift above what?

Mark Biggar
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,akgua,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!markb

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (08/06/87)

In article <4760@sdcrdcf.UUCP> markb@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Mark Biggar) writes:
>The real problem with "Can God create a stone too big to lift?" is that
>"lift" is ill-defined.  Lift above what?

While we're on the subject, I just noticed that nobody has defined
"stone" either.  What if "stone" means "object weighing 14 pounds"?
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  {ihnp4,seismo}!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi