[sci.math.symbolic] Maple for the Amiga

vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) (04/26/88)

Does anybody know about the status of Maple. In particular, I am interested
if Maple v4.2 is available for the Amiga. My EMail, calls and letter have
been met by thundering silence. But I have seen a letter that said that
Maple is available for the Amiga. [This letter was written by one Iris
Pietsch of the symbolic computation group at U. of Waterloo.]
-Nath

kogeddes@watmum.waterloo.edu (Keith O. Geddes) (04/29/88)

In article <489@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu> vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) writes:
>Does anybody know about the status of Maple. In particular, I am interested
>if Maple v4.2 is available for the Amiga.

Maple version 4.2 was recently released for Suns and it will soon be released
on several other host systems.  In particular, the person handling the port
to the Amiga is giving it full attention for the next couple of weeks so it
is expected to be ready for distribution by late May.

Keith Geddes.
kogeddes@watmum.waterloo.{edu,csnet,cdn}
{ihnp4,allegra,decvax,clyde,mcvax,...}!watmath!watmum!kogeddes

vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) (05/21/88)

A while back I had posted enquiries about Maple 4.2 for the Amiga. Waterloo
has at last spoken and here is the scoop: Maple 4.2 is available for the
Amiga. The discounted price for educational institutions is $395.00 (No it
is NOT $295.00). I assume that the list is $790.00. I will post a review
if there is any interest (and if I get the damn thing. Ohio State U has more
paperpushers and than any other place I know and they are worse than the ones
in India [That is the ultimate insult, if you don't know]. (They want to shop
for the best deal, even if there is but a single source).

sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) (05/21/88)

In article <539@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu> vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) writes:

> A while back I had posted enquiries about Maple 4.2 for the Amiga. Waterloo
> has at last spoken and here is the scoop: Maple 4.2 is available for the
> Amiga. The discounted price for educational institutions is $395.00 (No it
> is NOT $295.00). I assume that the list is $790.00. I will post a review
> if there is any interest....

Please do!  I'm interested!  How does Maple compare with, say, Reduce
or Macsyma?  Is there a graphic user interface for it?

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730

Fone:  (617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford.arpa
UUCP:  ...{cbosgd,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,mit-eddie,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

	"Those who will be able to conquer software will be able to
	 conquer the world."  -- Tadahiro Sekimoto, president, NEC Corp.

vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) (05/22/88)

I just learnt from R. Marianni (did I get it right?), who ported Maple to
the Amiga that you need a hard disk. Also the OSU beaurocracy takes its
own time to process the papers. (I have to put up with this to get the
discount). So it may be September before you see my impressions.

rmariani@watmum.waterloo.edu (Rico Mariani) (05/22/88)

In article <32499@linus.UUCP> sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) writes:

>In article <539@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu> vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) writes:
>
>> A while back I had posted enquiries about Maple 4.2 for the Amiga. Waterloo
>> has at last spoken and here is the scoop: Maple 4.2 is available for the
>> Amiga. The discounted price for educational institutions is $395.00 (No it
>> is NOT $295.00). I assume that the list is $790.00. I will post a review
>> if there is any interest....
>
>Please do!  I'm interested!  How does Maple compare with, say, Reduce
>or Macsyma?  Is there a graphic user interface for it?

Well I can't really say how Maple compares to those two packages as I've
never used either of them.  But from what I hear Maple is more complete
than Reduce and "equal but different" than Macsyma.  Take that with a
grain of salt, there are better people to make that comparison.

Maple 4.2 for the Amiga is completed and shipping.  The above pricing
seems right (the $395 is right, I don't know about the $790 list).

Amiga Maple is a port of the standard Maple 4.2, it runs in a standard
console window (or redirected from files etc.).  The interface is text
only.  There is an Amiga plot facility where plots can be generated
in hires or hires-interlace mode on the Amiga in addition to the
normal plot flavours.  Other than this, Amiga Maple 4.2 is just a straight
port.

Amiga Maple 4.2 requires a hard disk and at least 1 megabyte of extra memory
in order to do non-trivial computations.

If there are any questions about the Amiga port you can address them
to me (while I'm here which isn't going to be for too long).  Questions
about Maple in general are better handled by the Symbolic Computation
Group (maple@watmum.waterloo.edu).

	-Rico

P.S.  The last name is Mariani not Marianni or any other spelling permutation.

	rmariani@waterloo.edu