[sci.math.symbolic] Amiga & Mathematica

wbralick@afit-ab.arpa (William A. Bralick) (01/31/89)

Is a version of Mathematica currently produced or being planned
for the Amiga?  I think that the Amiga would be an exceptional
platform for Mathematica, and (I think) it would be a fairly
direct port.

Regards,
--
Will Bralick : wbralick@afit-ab.arpa  |  If we desire to defeat the enemy,
Air Force Institute of Technology,    |  we must proportion our efforts to
                                      |  his powers of resistance.
with disclaimer;  use disclaimer;     |               - Carl von Clauswitz

w-colinp@microsoft.UUCP (Colin Plumb) (02/01/89)

I'm not sure if you're aware, but there is another symbolic math package,
Maple, already running on the Amiga.  While it's missing all the great
graphics, it's a more mature system, and runs in less memory.

It is also written at the University I attend, but that has absolutely
nothing to do with it...
--
	-Colin (uunet!microsoft!w-colinp)
"Don't listen to me.  I never do."

murphy@pur-phy (William J. Murphy) (02/01/89)

In article <876@afit-ab.arpa> wbralick@blackbird.afit.af.mil (William A. Bralick) writes:
>Is a version of Mathematica currently produced or being planned
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^
>for the Amiga?  I think that the Amiga would be an exceptional
>Will Bralick : wbralick@afit-ab.arpa  |  If we desire to defeat the enemy,

Last fall, Mathematica came to purdue to show their wares right after the
NeXT demonstration.  When asked that very question, "Will Mathematica be
available on the Amiga?" The answer was YES.

The Kernal for M is the same for all machines (If I remember correctly),
but the graphical/user interface is what will take the time to port.
I would expect that M will not run too well without adding another couple
of Meg to the Amy 2000 as well as a harddrive. In fact, I would think that
the A2500 will be a pretty good base for Mathematica.

Oh, The person who presented to Purdue, was Nancy Blachman (Blackman?),
I don't have her e-mail address in front of me, but will find it later
so you can post your questions directly to her.

Bill Murphy
murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu

farhi@athena.mit.edu (Bill Hoston) (02/03/89)

Stephen Wolfram made a few visits to the Boston area late last year
and I got the opportunity to speak with him.  He said that there is
work being done on an Amiga port of Mathematica (he said it wasn't too hard
since the kernel was the same on all systems).  He complimented the
computer and said that it was a nice platform for the program.  At the
time he said that he hoped to have the program running on a very basic
system (he even mentioned the possibility of a rom card for A500's).
He gave me the impression (it was more than an impression) that the
biggest stumbling block for the project was Commodore.  Anyway,  I
just wanted to say that I don't think the program will call for lots
of extra memory or a hard drive (take my word for what it is worth).

	Bill Hoston
	farhi@athena.mit.edu