[sci.math.symbolic] Mathematica on Mac SE?

rivin@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU (Igor Rivin) (11/10/89)

In article <21187@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> mck@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
>I'm interested in developing a shell around Mathematica for analysis of
>kinematic and dynamic equations of robot manipulators.  The shell will be
>written in C.
>
>Now the question?  Is it feasible to do this on a Mac SE with a 20MB hard
>disk and 4 meg RAM or should I think about an SE/30 or a IIcx?
>Suggestions are welcome.  Price is an issue.
>
>Mark Kilby
>mck@beach.cis.ufl.edu

It is feasible on an SE, but if your stuff is at all numerically
intensive you should do it on a machine with a Floating Point chip (or
you can get an accelerator card...).

If you are going to be doing development, I would definitely suggest
more than 4MB.

By the way (this may be construed as a PLUG), WRI does have a
development program, whereby you can get some support and discounts.
For information, call 217-398-0700, ask for Lisa Shipley.

--
Igor Rivin                                Wolfram Research, Inc.
rivin@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU or

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (11/10/89)

In article <1989Nov9.214905.1041@Neon.Stanford.EDU> rivin@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU (Igor Rivin) writes:

>By the way (this may be construed as a PLUG), WRI does have a
>development program, whereby you can get some support and discounts.
>--
>Igor Rivin                                Wolfram Research, Inc.
>rivin@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU or
>rivin@wri.com

YIKES!  Somebody from Wolfram!  Listen:  Where is Mathematica available at
University discounts?  From talking to friends, and from my own experience,
I've found that it is not available at:

MIT
Harvard
B.U.
Dartmouth

Doesn't this seem just a little counter-productive?  How many students do you
know who can afford $475 (Plus) or $795 (Mac II)?  This is software I'd love
to own and use, but not at the expense of ONE TERM OF FOOD!

--Mike