[sci.math.symbolic] Mathematica

simon@alberta.UUCP (Simon Tortike) (09/03/88)

We just received the enhanced version of Mathematica for the Mac II today.
It's not cheap---an extra US$300 for the 68881 support---but this is not
PowerMath (which retails in the order of US$100).
Earlier reports on Mathematica for the Mac noted that Dr Wolfram's book
published by Addison-Wesley wasn't included.  Either there was a reason
at the time or they read the gripes in the meantime, but we received a
hard-cover version of the book in the box.

There is an educational institution discount in the order of 15%.
-------------------
Simon Tortike, Department of Mining, Metallurgical and Petroleum Engineering,
The University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, CANADA T6G 2G6.
UUCP: alberta!simon  |  BITNET: stortike@ualtavm  |  AGT: +1 403/432-3338

P.S. If you think Mathematica is expensive, wait until you pay for the
memory upgrade so that it will run!

mccalpin@masig3.ocean.fsu.edu (John D. McCalpin) (12/09/89)

Is Mathematica shipping yet for the Silicon Graphics 4D machines?
I am particularly interested availability for the 4D/25....
I guess I should ask my sales rep about the price....

On a related note:

Is it likely to be possible to get an X-windows front-end for
Mathematica to run on a Silicon Graphics 4D?  This would be in
addition to the native SGI front-end.
I intend to do a lot of work from a remote X-windows terminal, and
don't want to be limited to the raw ascii Mathematica interface when I
am away from the console....
--
John D. McCalpin - mccalpin@masig1.ocean.fsu.edu
		   mccalpin@scri1.scri.fsu.edu

rivin@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU (Igor Rivin) (12/09/89)

In article <MCCALPIN.89Dec8144037@masig3.ocean.fsu.edu> mccalpin@masig3.ocean.fsu.edu (John D. McCalpin) writes:
>Is Mathematica shipping yet for the Silicon Graphics 4D machines?
>I am particularly interested availability for the 4D/25....
>I guess I should ask my sales rep about the price....

Yes, Mathematica Version 1.2 is shipping for SGI machines. You can buy
it either from Silicon Graphics or from WRI ((217)-398-0700).

>On a related note:
>
>Is it likely to be possible to get an X-windows front-end for
>Mathematica to run on a Silicon Graphics 4D?  This would be in
>addition to the native SGI front-end.

Yes, Mathematica runs under X-windows. I believe X-windows itself is
an extra cost product from SGI, but I could be wrong. In any case your
sales rep will probably be more informed about that than I.

--
Igor Rivin                                Wolfram Research, Inc.
rivin@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU or