[sci.math.symbolic] Macsyma for PC?

cjoslyn@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (01/09/90)

Is there one?

O------------------------------------------------------------------------->
| Cliff Joslyn, Cybernetician at Large, cjoslyn@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
| Systems Science, SUNY Binghamton, Binghamton NY 13901, USA
V All the world is biscuit shaped. . .
--

wvenable@spam.ua.oz (Bill Venables) (01/09/90)

In article <2767@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> cjoslyn@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) writes:

> Is there one? [ie a version of Macsyma for a PC?]

Isn't this camel-through-the-eye-of-a-needle stuff?  (Or trying to teach a pair
of elephants to dance in the back seat of a Volkswagen? :-)

I think perhaps Maple is a better bet, but smybolic computation is generally
BIG bikkies, anyhow.
--
  Bill Venables, Dept. Statistics,        | Email:   wvenable@spam.ua.oz.au
  Univ. of Adelaide,  South Australia.    | Phone:           +61 8 228 5418

everett@ut-emx.UUCP (Everett W) (01/09/90)

In article <2767@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu>, cjoslyn@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) writes:

> Is there one?

Yes,  Computer Aided Mathematics Group, Symbolics Inc. has it. Hardware
requirement are
                 1) 386-based PC, IBM compatible.
                 2) 6 MB memery.
                 3) 40 MB hard disk.

  It support VGA, EGA, or CGA. It comes on 5.25" or 3.5" diskettes. Their phone
numbers are:
                (617)221-1250
                (800)622-7962.

              Everett.

afg@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (andrew.goldberg) (01/09/90)

In article <2767@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu>, cjoslyn@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) writes:

> Is there one?

	Yup.  From Computer Aided Mathematics Group, Symbolics, Inc.
	617-221-1250 or 800-622-7962.

	Pros: Claims to be complete port of MACSYMA to pc.

	Cons: Requires 386.  Also 6MB RAM, 20MB free disk space,
	      EGA or CGA or VGA, and Windows/386. According to
	      a recent review in PC Magazine,
	      they have not added any command line editing or
	      graphics to the original MACSYMA system.  By current
	      PC standards, the user interface is primitive.
	      Very Expensive: $2,900 (as of 5/89)

	If your needs and budget are modest, you might get by with Wolfram's
	Mathematica.  I paid $995 for that.  You can probably get
	reasonable educational discounts if you are associated with
	SUNY.

	Andy Goldberg
	AT&T Bell Laboratories
	Parsippany, New Jersey