[sci.math.symbolic] Mathematica->McDraw->Word: text is clipped

GFX@psuvm.psu.edu (07/27/90)

I use Mathematica to generate graphs and edit them in McDraw before
pasting into Word.  I label various things in Apple's Times 9pts.
Problem is that the last letter of several labels is clipped by Word: the
text box is too small to hold all of the text.  Is there a neat solution,
other than resizing manually all text boxes in McDraw?

Also, if I generate a 3d gray-scale graph, I can't seem to be able to
copy/paste it into McDraw without losing the shades of gray.  Doctoring
charts in Mathematica isn't the fastest way to go.  Any suggestion for
a (cheap?) software that supports color and will allow me to edit the
graphs?  Nothing fancy, just something to add/delete objects and text
should be enough.

Last: Is there a machine readable version of Mathematica's reference book?
Something a la Hypercard's help stack would be a welcome add on.

Thanks.  Stephane

peirce@claris.com (Michael Peirce) (07/28/90)

In article <90208.011258GFX@psuvm.psu.edu> GFX@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>I use Mathematica to generate graphs and edit them in McDraw before
>pasting into Word.  I label various things in Apple's Times 9pts.
>Problem is that the last letter of several labels is clipped by Word: the
>text box is too small to hold all of the text.  Is there a neat solution,
>other than resizing manually all text boxes in McDraw?

Assuming you're using the latest release of MacDraw II 1.1 the problem might
be that the different programs are using and not using Fractional Character
Widths.  MacDraw has this as a preference and you might try turning it on
and off to see what results you get.

Using Fractional Character Widths in one program then not using it in another
(or vice versa) can give you differring text lengths leading to your text
fitting then not fitting into a box.

>Also, if I generate a 3d gray-scale graph, I can't seem to be able to
>copy/paste it into McDraw without losing the shades of gray.

I'm afraid you can't import real (RGB) color into the current release of
Mac Draw II...

 Claris Corp. | Michael R. Peirce
 -------------+--------------------------------------

eran@elaine7.stanford.edu (eran yehudai) (08/02/90)

In article <90208.011258GFX@psuvm.psu.edu> GFX@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

>  Last: Is there a machine readable version of Mathematica's reference book?
>  Something a la Hypercard's help stack would be a welcome add on.

Variable Symbols Inc. is a Berkeley based company that is about to
release a Mathematica Help Stack, an on-line help system
for the Macintosh, based on HyperCard. Also in the workings is a Help
Package which will greatly enhanced Mathematica's built-in on-line
help facility on other platforms.

For more information, contact Variable Symbols at  P.O. Box 9013 Berkeley,
CA 94703-1308; (415)486-8073, or e.mail nb@Sunburn.Stanford.EDU

--
Eran Yehudai
eran@thsun1.slac.stanford.edu