[sci.math.symbolic] Mathematica on AIX/RT systems

kehoe@scotty.dccs.upenn.edu (Brendan Kehoe) (10/25/90)

 One of our professors is interested in a package called 'Maxima' --
he said it has something to do with creating your own symbolic rules,
integration, etc etc. He said that it came out of MIT & that he's used
it at Univ. of Delaware in the past. Have any of you heard of it? Any
ideas on where I could get ahold of it?
 Thanks ..
Brendan Kehoe | Soon: brendan@cs.widener.edu [ Sometime this week ... pray! ]
For now: kehoe@scotty.dccs.upenn.edu | Also: brendan.kehoe@cyber.widener.edu
"It's a distinctly non-trivial task to decompile a stripped, encrypted binary
 into something that can be understood." - Keith Bostic, on the Internet worm

cedman@lynx.ps.uci.edu (Carl Edman) (10/25/90)

In article <31703@netnews.upenn.edu> kehoe@scotty.dccs.upenn.edu (Brendan Kehoe) writes:
    One of our professors is interested in a package called 'Maxima' --
   he said it has something to do with creating your own symbolic rules,
   integration, etc etc. He said that it came out of MIT & that he's used
   it at Univ. of Delaware in the past. Have any of you heard of it? Any
   ideas on where I could get ahold of it?

Well, I think you would have more luck if you asked for MACSYMA by its
real name :-). And, yes it is quite famous. In some ways the grandfather
among computer algebra programs which means that it has had LOTS of time
to grow. Last I heard the PC version requires about 40 MBytes of hard
disk space. :-).

	Carl Edman

Theorectial Physicist,N.:A physicist whose   | Send mail
existence is postulated, to make the numbers |  to
balance but who is never actually observed   | cedman@golem.ps.uci.edu
in the laboratory.                           | edmanc@uciph0.ps.uci.edu

clj@ksr.com (Chris Jones) (10/25/90)

In article <31703@netnews.upenn.edu>, kehoe@scotty (Brendan Kehoe) writes:

> One of our professors is interested in a package called 'Maxima' --
>he said it has something to do with creating your own symbolic rules,
>integration, etc etc. He said that it came out of MIT & that he's used
>it at Univ. of Delaware in the past. Have any of you heard of it? Any
>ideas on where I could get ahold of it?

Undoubtedly he's referring to "Macsyma", which, last I knew, is owned by
Symbolics (it did come out of MIT originally).  Symbolics is in Burlington MA,
and Symbolics.COM is their highest level domain address, but I can't give you a
more specific address for information.
--
Chris Jones    clj@ksr.com    {world,uunet,harvard}!ksr!clj

aspgpas@cidsv01.cid.aes.doe.CA (Peter Silva) (10/26/90)

I've heard of it, never used itm but I know how it's SPELLED
(always tricky in trademarked stuff):  Macsyma is what you're looking for.
It's on pretty much any UNIX system, I seem to remember hearing saga's
about wanting GB's of memory etc... it's rather large, apparently.

I also know some useless history.   It's a behemoth that was under development
at MIT for at least 10 years with probably at least a couple of dozen
different
people working on it at different times.   So I'm not useful...

Peter Silva			OS Support
psilva@cid.aes.doe.ca		Dorval Computing Centre
(514) 421-4692			Atmospheric Environment Service

rd0k+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Drew Dean) (10/26/90)

I've seen "maxima" as the DoE implementation of Macsyma.  It's about
$1500 for a site license, I believe. (There may/may not be different
prices for educational institutions, if there is, I think that's the
educational price.)  The version of maxima I've used (very briefly) ran
under Austin Kyoto Common Lisp.  Sign the KCL license agreement, and ftp
rascal.ics.utexas.edu....

Drew Dean
rd0k@andrew.cmu.edu