[net.unix-wizards] Sun maintenance tip

sid@linus.UUCP (Sid Stuart) (01/30/85)

Subject: Maintenance tip for Suns
Newsgroups: net.unix-wizards

I just ran across a hardware problem on my new Sun 2/120's.
It is actually a problem with the 130 megabyte disk drives
that are sold with the Suns. It looks like the four screws
that attach the disk to the mounting bracket work themselve
loose. When one or more screws come loose, the mounting bracket
can break from fatigue. When all the screws come loose or the
mounting bracket breaks, your disk drive falls. This can impair
its function.

We recieved two drives in December and both of them have screws that
are out and broken brackets. I would suggest that if you have the
130 meg drive for a 120, you might want to have someone open
up the enclosure and check it. Do not, do not ship it in for
repair without checking this, at least to the Lexington facility,
as they will claim any resulting damage is your fault. (Hmmm,
"Could this guy have an axe to grind?", you ask yourself.)

Another interesting tidbit about Suns has to do with the RS-232 ports.
I got two Sun 170's in last summer and the ports did not work. After
talking to a friend, I found out that Suns can come from the factory with
the ribbon cable for the ports plugged into the wrong place on the
processor board. My ports worked when I moved the cable from the
bottem port on the board to the top port. Good luck on yours.

				Who needs to worry about quality control?
				sid at linus