[sci.math.symbolic] CALL FOR DISCUSSION: comp.lang.math.symbolic

BEBO@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Bebo White) (03/30/91)

This is a CALL FOR DISCUSSION regarding the creation of a new group
to discuss symbolic manipulation programs. A working name for this group
is comp.lang.math.symbolic.

This group could include general discussion of the use of such programs
as REDUCE, MACSYMA, MAPLE, SCHOONSCHIP and, of course, MATHEMATICA. There
does not appear to be an existing forum directly covering this area.

One reason for the suggestion of this group is to provide a gateway
feed with the Listserv list REDUCE-L. The owners of that list would
rather see a wider audience for that list rather than gatewaying it
to a group such as bit.listserv.reduce-l (which does not exist).

This is the first time that I have called for a CALL FOR DISCUSSION and
hope that this procedure is satisfactory. If I receive sufficient response,
I will post a CALL FOR VOTES.

Bebo White
---> the opinions expressed are mine alone and not necessarily those
     of SLAC, Stanford University or the DOE

In article <91088.123536BEBO@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU> BEBO@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Bebo White) writes:
>This is a CALL FOR DISCUSSION regarding the creation of a new group
>to discuss symbolic manipulation programs. A working name for this group
>is comp.lang.math.symbolic.
>
>This group could include general discussion of the use of such programs
>as REDUCE, MACSYMA, MAPLE, SCHOONSCHIP and, of course, MATHEMATICA. There
>does not appear to be an existing forum directly covering this area.

 Have you tried sci.math.symbolic  ?   (I unsubscribed to that a long time
ago, because it has very little else other than MAPLE, MACSYMA etc.)
  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940

ghot@ms.uky.edu (Allan Adler) (03/30/91)

I am puzzled. What does the proposed newsgroup do that sci.math.symbolic
does not already do ?

Allan Adler
ghot@ms.uky.edu

booth@yukawa.yukawa.uchicago.edu (Michael J. &) (03/30/91)

In article <1991Mar29.225030.8576@ms.uky.edu> ghot@ms.uky.edu (Allan Adler) writes:
> I am puzzled. What does the proposed newsgroup do that sci.math.symbolic
> does not already do ?
>
> Allan Adler
> ghot@ms.uky.edu

I agree.  It's not clear to me what the difference would be.

Mike Booth
Michael J. Booth  	      Internet: booth@yukawa.uchicago.edu
Enrico Fermi Institute	      Bitnet: booth%yukawa.uchicago.edu@UCHIMVS1
University of Chicago	      Decnet,Hepnet: uchep:booth
5640 S. Ellis		      Phone: (312) 702-7696
Chicago, IL 60637

ljdickey@watmath.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (03/30/91)

>In article <91088.123536BEBO@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU> BEBO@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Bebo White) writes:
>This is a CALL FOR DISCUSSION regarding the creation of a new group
>to discuss symbolic manipulation programs. A working name for this group
>is comp.lang.math.symbolic.

I think that the group     "sci.math.symbolic"     already
comes quite close to what you want.  I would recommend not
fragmenting that group.

--
Prof L.J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, U of Waterloo, Canada N2L 3G1
	Internet:	ljdickey@watmath.waterloo.edu

mcguire@cs.tamu.edu (Tim McGuire) (03/31/91)

rickert@mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert) writes:
> BEBO@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Bebo White) writes:
>>This is a CALL FOR DISCUSSION regarding the creation of a new group
>>to discuss symbolic manipulation programs. A working name for this group
>>is comp.lang.math.symbolic.
>>This group could include general discussion of the use of such programs
>>as REDUCE, MACSYMA, MAPLE, SCHOONSCHIP and, of course, MATHEMATICA. There
>>does not appear to be an existing forum directly covering this area.
> Have you tried sci.math.symbolic  ?   (I unsubscribed to that a long time
>ago, because it has very little else other than MAPLE, MACSYMA etc.)

I agree that sci.math.symbolic is the place for general discussion of symbolic
manipulation programs.  Of the individual languages mentioned, there might
be enough Mathematica traffic to warrent a Mathematica group.  Whether the
proper name would be sci.math.symbolic.mathematica or comp.lang.mathematica
I will leave to others who understand the hierarchy (or anarchy) of
USENET better than I do.

Tim McGuire
mcguire@cs.tamu.edu

(Follow-ups directed to news.groups -- do we wish to slug this out in
sci.math.symbolic, too?)