[sci.math.symbolic] Maple for the NeXT

wgilbert@watmath.uwaterloo.ca (William Gilbert) (04/22/91)

From the Kitchener-Waterloo Record on April 13, 1991 from an interview
with the Maple software group:

And Next, the new educational computer developed by Apple co-founder Steve
Jobs, has asked Maple to produce a Next-compatible version of its
software.
	The worldwide marketplace for symbolic math software is currently a
two-horse race between Maple and Mathematica, a product of the larger
Wolfram Research Inc., of Champagne, Ill.
"I see us actually passing the (market) leader, Mathematica, in two and a
half to three years" [Neumann said]
Will Gilbert,   Pure Math Dept, University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
wgilbert@math.UWaterloo.ca        NeXT mail:wgilbert@fatou.UWaterloo.ca

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr21.191124.14582@watmath.waterloo.edu> wgilbert@watmath.uwaterloo.ca (William Gilbert) writes:

>>   From the Kitchener-Waterloo Record on April 13, 1991 from an interview
>>   with the Maple software group:

>>   And Next, the new educational computer developed by Apple co-founder Steve
>>   Jobs, has asked Maple to produce a Next-compatible version of its
>>   software.
>>           The worldwide marketplace for symbolic math software is currently a
>>   two-horse race between Maple and Mathematica, a product of the larger
>>   Wolfram Research Inc., of Champagne, Ill.
>>   "I see us actually passing the (market) leader, Mathematica, in two and a
>>   half to three years" [Neumann said]

This is good news!  I have tried Maple V and Mathematica 1.2  (under
X, off a Dec 5200, as well as the Mathematica 1.2 on the NeXT) and find
the first one fater, easier to use, with a good help system (the
Mathematica 1.2 I got with my NeXt station does not have help at all).
It will be an incentive for Wolfram to finally ship a complete and
useable Mathematica;  as far as I can tell from browsing thtough the
Mathematica 2.0 book, it still lacks the differential-geometry
packages Maple has.
The main feature the NeXT version of Mathematica which makes it
attractive is the "Notebook" facility, which Maple still lacks.
Having a choice will make both systems better!

Greetings,
Hardy
			  -------****-------
Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy);  Department of Physics, University of California
Irvine CA 92717; (714) 856 5543; hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu or MMAYER@UCI.BITNET

benseb@nic.cerf.net (Booker Bense) (04/23/91)

In article <HARDY.91Apr21222959@golem.ps.uci.edu> hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) writes:
>In article <1991Apr21.191124.14582@watmath.waterloo.edu> wgilbert@watmath.uwaterloo.ca (William Gilbert) writes:

[quote deleted ]

>This is good news!  I have tried Maple V and Mathematica 1.2  (under
>X, off a Dec 5200, as well as the Mathematica 1.2 on the NeXT) and find
>the first one fater, easier to use, with a good help system (the
>Mathematica 1.2 I got with my NeXt station does not have help at
all).

- This is a problem with compatablity between NextStep 2.0 and
Mathematica 1.2.  A working Mathematica interface has a useful
help command ( it will do function name completetion and provides
internal documentation on the function. ) This is supposed to be
fixed in MMA 2.0. When will it arrive ?

>It will be an incentive for Wolfram to finally ship a complete and
>useable Mathematica;  as far as I can tell from browsing thtough the
>Mathematica 2.0 book, it still lacks the differential-geometry
>packages Maple has.

- There are lots of user developed packages for MMA. I'm sure there
are the basics for Differential Geometry somewhere. This is also
true of Maple. I don't have access to Maple %-(! , so I can't say
whether it's easier to develop libraries for MMA or Maple. However,
if you get seriously into MMA , Rom Meader's book is essential.
Many of the complaints about MMA ( slowness , no type
specification...) can be significantly improved by adopting a
different programming style. The obvious Fortran induced way of doing
things (i.e. Do loops ) is generally the slowest and worst way to do
things. It is quite easy to double or triple the speed of your
code if you take advantage of the MMA's internals. Developing
specialized packages for MMA is fairly easy once you get past the
first one. Developing efficient packages is harder, although from what
I could see of the recent demo of MMA 2.0 they have increased the
support within MMA for doing this. I think the general direction that
MMA is taking is moving away from the ``super calculator'' approach
into a ``integrated language '' approach. In 2.0 it will be much
easier to incoporate external programs into MMA.

>The main feature the NeXT version of Mathematica which makes it
>attractive is the "Notebook" facility, which Maple still lacks.
>Having a choice will make both systems better!

-IMHO, the notebook is the most important feature of MMA.
Much of it's faults can be forgiven for this. I would not use
MMA if it were not for the notebook.

- Booker C. Bense
prefered: benseb@grumpy.sdsc.edu	"I think it's GOOD that everyone
NeXT Mail: benseb@next.sdsc.edu 	   becomes food " - Hobbes

bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) (04/23/91)

In article <HARDY.91Apr21222959@golem.ps.uci.edu> hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) writes:
>  [quotation deleted  --SJB]
>
>This is good news!  I have tried Maple V and Mathematica 1.2  (under
>X, off a Dec 5200, as well as the Mathematica 1.2 on the NeXT) and find
>the first one fater, easier to use, with a good help system (the
>Mathematica 1.2 I got with my NeXt station does not have help at all).

     Actually, 1.2 *does* have a fair amount of help stuff and it
works just fine under NS 1.0a.  NS 2.0 broke it and nobody expects
it to be fixed until Mathematica 2.0 comes out.  It strikes *me* as
a minor miracle that the help stuff broke, yet the rest of it, oddly
enough, still seems to work okay.

>  [text deleted  --SJB]
>			  -------****-------
>Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy);  Department of Physics, University of California
>Irvine CA 92717; (714) 856 5543; hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu or MMAYER@UCI.BITNET

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
                                  Systems Programming
                                  Northern Illinois University
                                  DeKalb, Illinois 60115
* Internet:       bennett@cs.niu.edu                                 *
* BITNET:         A01SJB1@NIU                                        *
*  "Spent a little time on the mountain, Spent a little time on the  *
*   Hill, The things that went down you don't understand, But I      *
*   think in time you will."  Oakland, 19 Feb. 1991, first time      *
*  since 25 Sept. 1970!!!  Yippee!!!!  Wondering what's NeXT... :-)  *