[sci.math.symbolic] Can Mathematica 1.2

hm292hu@unidui.uni-duisburg.de (Fred Hucht) (06/06/91)

Hello
The subject line says it all. Is it possible or not?

Can I tell HIMEM.SYS not to eat all extended memory ?

Thanks,

Fred Hucht, Institute of Theoretical Physics, University of Duisburg, Germany
email: fred@hal9000.uni-duisburg.de

reeses@milton.u.washington.edu (KGB Assassinate CIA NSA FBI secret George Bush Child Pornography Military Heroin Terrorism) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun06.132257.801@unidui.uni-duisburg.de> hm292hu@unidui.uni-duisburg.de (Fred Hucht) writes:
>Hello
>The subject line says it all. Is it possible or not?
>
>Can I tell HIMEM.SYS not to eat all extended memory ?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Fred Hucht, Institute of Theoretical Physics, University of Duisburg, Germany
>email: fred@hal9000.uni-duisburg.de

Problems with DOS 5.00?:-) I don't think there is any way to do what you want,
and HIMEM.SYS is required for using extended memory(to map it, etc.).  I boot
from a DOS 4.01 floppy(I know, a kludge) and it works great.
reeses@milton.u.washington.edu   University of Washington, Seattle
"Reality is a cop-out for people who can't handle drugs"

antonyc@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Antony Chan) (06/09/91)

reeses@milton.u.washington.edu (KGB Assassinate CIA NSA FBI secret George Bush Child Pornography Military Heroin Terrorism) writes:

>In article <1991Jun06.132257.801@unidui.uni-duisburg.de> hm292hu@unidui.uni-duisburg.de (Fred Hucht) writes:
>>Can I tell HIMEM.SYS not to eat all extended memory ?

>Problems with DOS 5.00?:-) I don't think there is any way to do what you want,
>and HIMEM.SYS is required for using extended memory(to map it, etc.).  I boot
>from a DOS 4.01 floppy(I know, a kludge) and it works great.

well, with the ms-dos 5.0 himem.sys, you CAN tell it not to eat
all extended memory by specifying /int15=xxxx where xxxx is the
amount of extended memory (in kb) to leave for int15 access (what
mathematica uses).  also, you'll notice that mathematica will run
in ems, so you can run emm386 on top of himem.sys and use mathematica
that way.  only problem with that is that real mode programs (like
djgpp) will crap out with emm386.

hm292hu@unidui.uni-duisburg.de (Fred Hucht) (06/10/91)

>In <1991Jun9.013619.5924@nntp-server.caltech.edu> antonyc@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Antony Chan) writes:
>>In article <1991Jun06.132257.801@unidui.uni-duisburg.de> hm292hu@unidui.uni-duisburg.de (Fred Hucht) writes:
>>Can I tell HIMEM.SYS not to eat all extended memory ?
>well, with the ms-dos 5.0 himem.sys, you CAN tell it not to eat
>all extended memory by specifying /int15=xxxx where xxxx is the
>amount of extended memory (in kb) to leave for int15 access (what
>mathematica uses).  also, you'll notice that mathematica will run
>in ems, so you can run emm386 on top of himem.sys and use mathematica
>that way.  only problem with that is that real mode programs (like
>djgpp) will crap out with emm386.

Thanks, this is what I want. I tried it and it works...