[comp.databases] Informix for MS DOS question

gunnar@hafro.UUCP (03/02/87)

Has anyone out there tried Informix on an ordinary IBM PC/XT running
MS DOS ?  We are particularly interested in the performance of such a
system -- i.e.  can the PC handle Informix, or is an AT really
needed. Also, we would like to know whether a lot was left out of the
system, in order to fit it into the PC ?

Please reply by mail. If anyone wants us to, we will summarize to the
net.

Thanks

Gunnar

Gunnar Stefansson                       {mcvax,enea}!hafro!gunnar
Marine Research Institute, Reykjavik    gunnar@hafro.UUCP

pavlov@hscfvax.UUCP (840033@G.Pavlov) (03/04/87)

In article <332@hafro.UUCP>, gunnar@hafro.UUCP (Gunnar Stefansson) writes:

> Has anyone out there tried Informix on an ordinary IBM PC/XT running
> MS DOS ?  We are particularly interested in the performance of such a
> system -- i.e.  can the PC handle Informix, or is an AT really
> needed.

In the last issue, Digital Review reported on an extensive set of benchmarks
comparing micro versions of Ingres, Informix, and Oracle.  Ingres "won" the
large majority of the "tests" and Oracle did very poorly.  Informix was some-
where in-between.

From my own experience with micro-Ingres (and several of the pc-oriented dbms's
such as DBASE III), I would recommend a PC only if the applications are severe-
ly limited in size (e.g., tables limited to 500 recs or less; 3-way joins max).

RTI (Ingres developer) recommends AT-class micros only.

  greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny