[comp.databases] Relational vs. Network Model Performance

sachar@hou2d.UUCP (04/03/87)

Ignoring the user friendly and other issues, network model bases
databases should have better performance than relational model
based databases due to presence of links. Is anyone aware of
any study or published paper where the performance issues of
these models are discussed and some results (numbers) are reported.
I will summarize the responses if anyone else is interested.

Thanks in advance for any information.

                             Harvi Sachar
                          !ihnp4!speedy!hs

elwell@osu-eddie.UUCP (04/04/87)

In article <1361@hou2d.UUCP> sachar@hou2d.UUCP (H.SACHAR) writes:
>Ignoring the user friendly and other issues, network model bases
>databases should have better performance than relational model
>based databases due to presence of links. Is anyone aware of
>any study or published paper where the performance issues of
>these models are discussed and some results (numbers) are reported.
>I will summarize the responses if anyone else is interested.
>
>Thanks in advance for any information.
>
>                             Harvi Sachar
>                          !ihnp4!speedy!hs

I haven't done much looking around in the literature, so this isn't really an
answer, but I can offer some empirical results from having implemented both
relational and network databases.  Based on my experience so far, the network
model is much faster and more flexible for a given level of (subjective)
implementation complexity.  I must admit that these databases have been
primarily retrieval-oriented, so I was able to play some tricks at the expense
of update speed, but this seemed to affect both models similarly.

I have almost entirely given up on the relational model for real-world
applications, simply because the network model gives better
performance for a comparable investment of effort.  It should not be
forgotten, however, that many applications can be handled by
off-the-shelf software, which is predominantly relational.  If it can be done,
this is often the simplest approach, which is why things like UNIFY and
Informix are successful.  When it comes down to raw performance, though, they
don't quite cut it.  That's the price you pay for the time you save in
developing it.

I'd be interested in hearing about what references you come up with.

-=-

"The greatest warriors are				Clayton Elwell
the ones who fight for peace."			Elwell@Ohio-State.ARPA
		--Holly Near		   ...!cbosgd!osu-eddie!elwell

garyp@cognos.uucp (Gary Puckering) (04/07/87)

In article <1361@hou2d.UUCP> sachar@hou2d.UUCP writes:
>Ignoring the user friendly and other issues, network model bases
>databases should have better performance than relational model
>based databases due to presence of links.

This is a commonly-held fallacy.  Linkage paths represent an
implementation option, just as B-tree, hash and clustered indexes are
options that speed up certain queries.  There is no theoretical reason
why a network dbms should perform better than a relational dbms.  Only
practical reasons.  Most of the systems I've measured tend to perform
somewhat below their network counterparts because:

1)  They do a lot more (there's more code, etc.)

2)  They provide greater data independance (datatype conversions)

3)  They provide more sophisticated locking and transaction management
    (degree 3 consistency, as opposed to degree 2)

4)  They provide varying-length datatypes and null-values, which means
    more overhead in terms of a record management scheme

5)  They are immature products

The last point is perhaps the most important to bear in mind.
Commercial relational systems are still immature in comparison to most
network and hierarchical dbms's.  Ask someone who was involved when
IBM's IMS was introduced.  Comparing DB2 performance to IMS performance
is like comparing an 8-year old runner to a 20-year old runner.  In a
few years I thin the performance debate will fade away.

--
Gary Puckering        3755 Riverside Dr.
Cognos Incorporated   Ottawa, Ontario       decvax!utzoo!dciem!