[comp.databases] Relational DB on PCs and Macs

losee@ecsvax.UUCP (03/30/87)

Can anyone suggest database packages that appear to be really relational
(Unlike DBase III, for example, with its difficult to use join)
that is supported on both the IBM PC and the Mac?
I am looking for a package that can be used for a large intro class and
would like software that can make use of all the micros we have to avoid
congestion.  If it weren't for the presence of the Macs, I would use
RBase, but I don't think it is available for the Macs.

Thanks in advance.

Bob Losee   losee@ecsvax.{uucp/bitnet}

tr@thumper.UUCP (03/31/87)

In article <2841@ecsvax.UUCP>, losee@ecsvax.UUCP (Robert Losee) writes:

| Can anyone suggest database packages that appear to be really relational
| (Unlike DBase III, for example, with its difficult to use join)
| that is supported on both the IBM PC and the Mac?
| I am looking for a package that can be used for a large intro class and
| would like software that can make use of all the micros we have to avoid
| congestion.  If it weren't for the presence of the Macs, I would use
| RBase, but I don't think it is available for the Macs.
|
| Thanks in advance.
|
| Bob Losee   losee@ecsvax.{uucp/bitnet}

I don't know if dBase III is available on the Mac.  I seem to remember
it is.

Anyway, are you familiar with the SET RELATION command?  You can list
more than one file at a time, as if they were joined, without joining.
JOINing is slow, I admit, but SET RELATION is not.

--
Tom Reingold
Internet: tr@bellcore.com

mjr@well.UUCP (03/31/87)

In article <2841@ecsvax.UUCP> losee@ecsvax.UUCP (Robert Losee) writes:

>Can anyone suggest database packages that appear to be really relational
>(Unlike DBase III, for example, with its difficult to use join)
>that is supported on both the IBM PC and the Mac?

Rbase Sys V is the most relational system I've evaluated, and it is
excellent for class & relational theory work.  Alas I don't know
of ANYTHING besides dBase that runs in both environments, though
you might call Ansa Corp. and find out if they have converted
their Paradox to the mac yet...

clive@druhi.UUCP (03/31/87)

in article <2841@ecsvax.UUCP>, losee@ecsvax.UUCP says:

> Can anyone suggest database packages that appear to be really relational
> (Unlike DBase III, for example, with its difficult to use join)

Well, Reflex is a wonderful, easy to use and modify, relational system
on the Mac.  It also makes great-looking reports.  The only caveat is
that you wouldn't want to build a turnkey system on it -- can't hide
the guts.

Someone tried to tell me that it's not really relational in its PC
incarnation, though its report facilities there can make it seem so.
Whatever that means.  I'd look into that myself, though, if I were you.

Clive Steward

jsm@vax1.UUCP (04/01/87)

In article <551@thumper.UUCP> tr@thumper.UUCP writes:
>In article <2841@ecsvax.UUCP>, losee@ecsvax.UUCP (Robert Losee) writes:
>|
>| Can anyone suggest database packages that appear to be really relational
>| (Unlike DBase III, for example, with its difficult to use join)
>| that is supported on both the IBM PC and the Mac?
>
>Anyway, are you familiar with the SET RELATION command?  You can list
>more than one file at a time, as if they were joined, without joining.
>JOINing is slow, I admit, but SET RELATION is not.

SET RELATION supports a virtual join. To join in R:base (5000; I hope
they've fixed this in System V) requires a physical join - a messy
operation involving temporary relations that must be deleted and packed.

cmaag@csd4.milw.wisc.edu.UUCP (04/16/87)

If you can wait a while, you may want to wait for the PC release of Omnis 3.
This is supposed to be *the* data base for the Mac, and I recall seeing
somewhere that the MS/PC-DOS version will be out in the second quarter,
running under MS-Windows.  I will try to locate further details on this
product.