[comp.databases] INGRES for PC

cim2@pyuxv.UUCP (04/17/87)

The INGRES vendors (RTI) recently did a PC-INGRES demo here, and,
contrary to previous postings on the net, it is NOT full INGRES.
Specifically:
	NO ABF
	NO RBF (really!)
	NO GBF
	NO Multi Statement Transactions
	NO Journaling/Recovery

Personally, the last two make it a totally unacceptable product.
As I said - this info came directly from the RTI salesman & tech rep.

On marketing/pricing, RTI said they were only interested  in corperate
licences, and were pricing the product to keep 'mom & pop shops' (quote)
from buying PC-INGRES, probably over $1500. nuff said.

Robert L. Fair
Bell Communications Research/Computer Horizons Corp
ihnp4!pyuxv!cim2
Usual discalimer applies to all opinions expressed in this article

cuccia@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (04/19/87)

In article <271@pyuxv.UUCP> cim2@pyuxv.UUCP (Robert L. Fair) writes:
>The INGRES vendors (RTI) recently did a PC-INGRES demo here, and,
>contrary to previous postings on the net, it is NOT full INGRES.
>Specifically:
>	NO ABF
>	NO RBF (really!)
>	NO GBF
>	NO Multi Statement Transactions
>	NO Journaling/Recovery

>Personally, the last two make it a totally unacceptable product.
>As I said - this info came directly from the RTI salesman & tech rep.

>On marketing/pricing, RTI said they were only interested  in corperate
>licences, and were pricing the product to keep 'mom & pop shops' (quote)
>from buying PC-INGRES, probably over $1500. nuff said.

>Robert L. Fair

I was the person who made the initial statements about price and
contents of PC-INGRES, information that I received from RTI technical
staff.  In fact, I was impressed by the performance of ABF on the
Compaq '286 clone, certainly better than our VAX 785 during most
times of the day.

I guess the one true answer for this question should come from somebody
from RTI.

Hello?  RTI?  You guys out there?

A lonely voice in the electronic wilderness,
--Nick

pavlov@hscfvax.UUCP (840033@G.Pavlov) (04/20/87)

In article <271@pyuxv.UUCP>, cim2@pyuxv.UUCP (Robert L. Fair) writes:
> The INGRES vendors (RTI) recently did a PC-INGRES demo here, and,
> contrary to previous postings on the net, it is NOT full INGRES.
> Specifically:
> 	NO ABF
> 	NO RBF (really!)
> 	NO GBF
> 	NO Multi Statement Transactions
> 	NO Journaling/Recovery
> Personally, the last two make it a totally unacceptable product.
> As I said - this info came directly from the RTI salesman & tech rep.

  I have been using pc-ingres for the past 10 days.

  ABF and RBF were late through beta-test, etc, and are now being shipped
  separately - but they are definitely part of the package.

  Multi-statement transactions are definitely supported: I have tested this
  thoroughly; Ingres recovers very nicely, unrolling table creates, adds, and
  updates across multiple tables.

  I don't know about GBF (we didn't buy it for our mini version either, so I
  didn't ask about it).  Journaling is not in the release at present; I do
  not know if it is to be added, but suspect not.

  Like you, I am very unhappy about the price.  If RTI was, in fact, simply
  concerned about having to support single-pc-only sites, it could have
  built something into its rate structure that accomodated mini and mainframe
  licensees.  The one mitigating factor is that run-time-only licenses are
  much more reasonable ($400 ??).

     greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny