[comp.databases] Ingres, Oracle and Rdb evaluation

shrimali@cwruecmp.UUCP (Tarkeshwar Shrimali) (05/09/87)

     I am evaluating Oracle, Ingres and Rdb for a Vax 8250. If any of
you have done a similar exercise or have experience with either of these
products, I'll appreciate hearing from you.

     If there are sufficient replys I'll summarize and post it.

     Thank you,

     shrimali@case   -via csnet

covici@ncoast.UUCP (05/15/87)

In article <2097@cwruecmp.UUCP> shrimali@cwruecmp.UUCP (Tarkeshwar Shrimali) writes:

>     I am evaluating Oracle, Ingres and Rdb for a Vax 8250. If any of
>you have done a similar exercise or have experience with either of these
>products, I'll appreciate hearing from you.
>

>     If there are sufficient replys I'll summarize and post it.
>
>     Thank you,
>

>     shrimali@case   -via csnet

I may be able to help.  I have evaluated RDB at least and
would be very interested to hear anything about ORACLE or INGRES.

   I was using very small records with lots of keys and RDB
diesn't like that kind of thing.  Apparently,
it keeps all duplicate keys in a linear list so deleting
a key with a large number of duplicate can take quite a while.

   I also found some strange bugs such as the fact that
you cannot have a field named "description" and other
strange things -- particularly with the callable interface.

   I was trying to simulate a large database and I must
add that DEC did tell me that RDB was not good for that.

   I hope this helps.

         John

graham@hslrswi.UUCP (Graham Tritt) (05/20/87)

In article <2097@cwruecmp.UUCP> Tarkeshwar Shrimali
(shrimali@cwruecmp.UUCP) writes:
>     I am evaluating Oracle, Ingres and Rdb for a Vax 8250. If any of
>you have done a similar exercise or have experience with either of these
>products, I'll appreciate hearing from you.
>     shrimali@case   -via csnet

I wonder if someone doesn't reliably store and recall such
questions and answers!  By some chance, I extracted such an evaluation
from David Trueman of Microtel Pacific Research posted Nov 27 1985.

Mark Savage of Affinitec St Louis mas@afinitc.uucp summarized replies
in June 1985 to his questions on relational databases for PCs and
UNIX.  This also contained a useful criteria list and comments on
INGRES, INFORMIX, MISTRESS, etc.

Other sources for evaluations are Datapro reports and Hardcopy magazine
(DEC users) June 86, occasional DATAMATION and MINI-MICRO-SYSTEMS;
I'm sure others on the net can suggest more, and give comments based
on experience.

I have mailed the the source that I have stored for David's posting
to shrimali@cwruecmp.UUCP. But perhaps it is out-of-date by now.

We haven't any major use for a database ourselves but from time to
time have to point others here in the right direction.

At the moment we need a portable VMS/UNIX relational database for a
simple application and I wonder if databases like ORACLE and INFORMIX
are overkill.  How can I explain why DEC RDB (or even DBMS) is not
the best answer?

    Graham Tritt                SOWI, Department 34b1        |  ________|__
    Hasler AG, Belpstr. 23, CH-3000 Berne 14, Switzerland    |  |    _    |
Telephone:    +41 31 632661                                  |  | |_ + _| |
X.400:      graham@hslrswi.hasler                            |__|   |_|   |
Bitnet:     graham%hslrswi.UUCP@cernvax.BITNET                  |_________|
Uucp:       ... {seismo,ukc, ... }!mcvax!cernvax!hslrswi!graham