[comp.databases] Benchmarks and Real Performance

forrest@blia.BLI.COM (Jon Forrest) (05/22/87)

There have been several postings recently regarding benchmarks of
the popular RDBMS's. I'd like to remind people that test benchmarks
are well and good but the performance of the production system
often falls short of the expectations gained from tests.
One way to help remedy this problem is to use a database machine.
Of course, the same difference between test and production performance
could occur on a database machine, but the performance of a database
machine will probably let you do more before this happens.

This fact has helped us sell our database machines to places
that have already bought a software-only RDBMS only to find that
when push came to shove, what they had wasn't fast enough. Our
new database machine, which I'm told will be 10 times faster than
what we already have, will make this even more relevent. Of course,
this will also be true with our competitors products.

Jon Forrest
ucbvax!mtxinu!blia!forrest

jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) (05/24/87)

in article <2700@blia.BLI.COM>, forrest@blia.BLI.COM (Jon Forrest) says:

> One way to help remedy this problem is to use a database machine...
>
> This fact has helped us sell our database machines to places
> that have already bought a software-only RDBMS only to find that
> when push came to shove, what they had wasn't fast enough...
>
> Jon Forrest

I object to this type of posting.  There have been many times in the past
when I have been tempted to plug Relational Technology in this newsgroup,
but I have always resisted.  To do so would have been inappropriate.
I thought there was a general rule that vendors are not supposed to use the
net to promote their products.  For example, you don't see chip manufacturers
filling up comp.arch with arguments about why their CPUs are better.  I believe
that DBMS vendors' contributions to comp.databases should be purely technical
and as objective as possible.  Without this, the content of the newsgroup
will devolve into propaganda.
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent..."

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!j unC

forrest@blia.BLI.COM (Jon Forrest) (05/25/87)

In article <851@rtech.UUCP>, jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) writes:
> in article <2700@blia.BLI.COM>, forrest@blia.BLI.COM (Jon Forrest) says:
> >
> > One way to help remedy this problem is to use a database machine...
> >
> I object to this type of posting.  There have been many times in the past
> when I have been tempted to plug Relational Technology in this newsgroup,
> but I have always resisted.  To do so would have been inappropriate.

I don't agree. If there were some reason you thought your product was
better than the competition for technical reasons then I think a posting
would have been in order, especially if you prefaced your posting
title with the fact that it contained a plug for your company. I recently
complained that the ba.seminars was too commercial because seminars
were being announced that had fees that were for more than the cost
of putting on the seminar. Much to my surprise, the responses to my
complaint were not in agreement with me. Apparently, people's
threshold of sensitivity toward commercialness isn't has low as mine.

> I thought there was a general rule that vendors are not supposed to use the
> net to promote their products.  For example, you don't see chip manufacturers
> filling up comp.arch with arguments about why their CPUs are better.  I believe

Oh yes you do. The point is that the discussion is technical.
If you re-read my posting you will notice that it is actually
discussing one technical advantage of database machines over
software only RDBMS's. I didn't mention any aspects of our database
machine. In fact, since we now have some competition (Teradata, Sybase)
my posting is hardly a plug for Britton Lee. Also notice that I didn't
single out any one software RDBMS.

So, if any of you think that your company's product is better than
the competition I, for one, would like to hear about it. Let's just
try to keep the discussion technical.

Jon Forrest
ucbvax!mtxinu!blia!forrest

authorplaceholder@tiger.UUCP.UUCP (05/26/87)

Bravo Jeff!!!

Discussions of technology are wonderful and hopeful, but if I want an
advertisement, I'll read a tabloid.

In this newsgroup, at least, I for one appreciate the discretion of
the DBMS vendors (excepting one of course) to not blatantly plug their
respective products.

After all, performance is relative to the user's application needs
anyway.

Jeff McReynolds
AT&T Network Systems
Oklahoma City, OK
...ihnp4!occrsh!jlm

anderson@aero.UUCP (05/26/87)

In article <851@rtech.UUCP> jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) writes:
>in article <2700@blia.BLI.COM>, forrest@blia.BLI.COM (Jon Forrest) says:
>>
>> One way to help remedy this problem is to use a database machine...
>>
>> This fact has helped us sell our database machines to places
>> that have already bought a software-only RDBMS only to find that
>> when push came to shove, what they had wasn't fast enough...
>>
>> Jon Forrest
>
>I object to this type of posting.
>--
>Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
I too object, especially to the blattenly misleading advertizement.
I use several Britton Lee's in different os environments; I also use
RTI's INGRES and Oracle's ORACLE, in addition to another dozen products.
AND I REFRAIN ALWAYS FROM PLUGGING ONE OVER THE OTHER IN GENERAL DISCUSSION!!
I ESPECIALLY NEVER COMPARE APPLES AND ORANGES - H/W DBMS AND S/W DBMS.
I can speak clearly on the similarities and differences between features,
and can provide reasonable measures of performance for specific configurations.

BETTER is a relative that only makes sense for well described environments.

I agree with Jeff that this forum is for discussion of database technologies.

I wonder why it is instead used for requesting ridiculous survey results,
with even less substantial advertisements in response.

ecec@ur-tut.UUCP (Eric Carleen) (05/27/87)

I'd be interested in hearing plugs by vendors for their own products.
I hope the plugs would be technical.  It would be a great way to learn
about the various databases; certainly no one is as familiar with the
shortcomings of database X than the maker of database Y.

If ridiculous, false, or unfair claims were made, they would be subject
to the criticism of the readers of this group, which includes the other
vendors.  The result would be an informed discussion greatly superior to
the advertisments that are in the trade publications.

I'm aware that no one wants to see this newsgroup turned into one long
commercial, but I'd also like to learn more about the products that are
available.

What do people think?

                            Eric Carleen
                            University of Rochester Medical Center
                            UUCP:  {seismo|allegra}!rochester!ur-msbvax!edc
                            Bitnet: heartedc@uorhbv
                            Phone: (716)-275-5391

itkin@bene.UUCP (Steven List) (05/28/87)

In article <11872@aero.ARPA> anderson@aero.UUCP (Tom Anderson) writes:
>In article <851@rtech.UUCP> jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) writes:
>>in article <2700@blia.BLI.COM>, forrest@blia.BLI.COM (Jon Forrest) says:
>>> One way to help remedy this problem is to use a database machine...
>>>
>>> This fact has helped us sell our database machines to places...
>>>
>>> Jon Forrest
>>
>>I object to this type of posting...
>>--
>>Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
>I too object, especially to the blattenly misleading advertizement.
>I use several Britton Lee's in different os environments; I also use
>RTI's INGRES and Oracle's ORACLE, in addition to another dozen products.
>AND I REFRAIN ALWAYS FROM PLUGGING ONE OVER THE OTHER IN GENERAL DISCUSSION!!
>I ESPECIALLY NEVER COMPARE APPLES AND ORANGES - H/W DBMS AND S/W DBMS.

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I don`t mind at all having employees of
various vendors discuss the relative merits of their systems, as well as
having users of those systems discuss them.  I would be very interested
in Tom's evaluation of the differences (note DIFFERENCES not necessarily
better or worse) between various systems in different environments and
for different applications.

We at Benetics have been working with UNIFY for the past five years, and
a number of us (myself included) are extremely knowledgeable about UNIFY
and ACCELL both from the internals and user perspective.  Why should I
not share my impressions and opinions here?  Isn't this a public forum
for discussion?  I don't find Jon`s original posting offensive, nor do I
object to Jeff and Tom's responses.  But I think this is an opportunity
for some interesting and educational exchanges.

So, Tom, please do post your opinions and evaluations.  You don't need
to plug to express an opinion.  And if you find one to be better than
the other in certain circumstances, that may very well benefit me
enormously.  The same goes for Jeff and Jon - go ahead and express
yourselves.  I'm anxious to hear what you have to say.  I might even
express an opinion or two myself somewhere along the way.

Steven

peter@utah-gr.UUCP (05/28/87)

I don't think this article was out of line with respect to the "no
advertising" understanding (rules wrt usenet postings? you have got to
be kidding).  It did contain some factual info, and contained a line of
reasoning.   The point could have been made stronger (my opinion, see
disclaimer below) but more importantly it was made in general terms,
and did not isolate Britton Lee as THE solution, just as AN example solution.
I don't  see that it is different from somebody (whether related or not
to X or Y) claiming system X does 14 phony baloney transactions per
second, while system Y does 12.

My view on usenet is  that it is pamphleteering in
the high tech age.  If somebody gets too far out of line wrt
advertising or blithering they will be cut off, some how, some way.
I think some advertising should be allowed; everyone would
like to hear about new features/performance figures/etc even if it is
from the horses mouth.  As long as the data is "fair", and all parties
can be heard, things should work out fine.  I guess we could have
advertising rot 13'd.

Anyways, keep those data base wars going.

Disclaimer:  I used to work for Britton Lee (before Mr. Forrest's time),
have friends that work at Sybase, and think the Teradata machine is pretty
neat (and strange).   Database machines seem like a good idea to me, what
do the people squacking about advertising think about them?  Shouldn't the
articles on advertising in comp.databases have been posted in
news.discussions.advertising(just wondering, this renaming has got me confused)?

dennisg@pwcs.StPaul.GOV (Dennis Grittner) (05/29/87)

In article <1392@ur-tut.UUCP> ecec@tut.cc.rochester.edu.UUCP (Eric Carleen) writes:
>I'd be interested in hearing plugs by vendors for their own products.
>I hope the plugs would be technical.  It would be a great way to learn
>about the various databases; certainly no one is as familiar with the
>shortcomings of database X than the maker of database Y.

As a user of a Britton-Lee and a user of Informix as well as
Informix-SQL as well as a former user of Unify I would like to
add my thoughts that I'd love to hear from various database (
software and hardware ) folk with TECHNICAL plugs for their
product(s). Let's hear debate about the performance per dollar ( how
about that one Ingress ) the various methods of networking
databases ( Oracle , Ingress how about it ), or about the actual
communications interface ( how about that XNS stuff Britton-Lee )
and a whole lot more.

I don't want to see a whole lot of drivel from vendors - but it
might be darned useful to hear about new concepts and features
from the vendors here where we could poke around at them
collectively rather than isolating us one at a time at a show or
a sales call.

"Building nuclear arms for peace is like f***ing for chastity"

--
Dennis Grittner		City of Saint Paul, Minnesota
(612) 298-4402		Room 700, 25 W. 4th St. 55102

walker@cod.UUCP (06/03/87)

Newsgroups: comp.databases
Subject: Re: Benchmarks and Real Performance (minor plug for my company)
summary:
Expires:
In article <332@bty.UUCP> yost@bty.UUCP writes:
>> Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I don`t mind at all having employees of
>> various vendors discuss the relative merits of their systems, as well as
>> having users of those systems discuss them.

Well then,  count  me  in  this  "minority"  too.  I,  also,  am  currently
evaluating  DBMSs (RDBMSs to be exact) and have not ruled out the idea of a
"back-end" DB machine to boot :).  I have learned some  interesting  things
from this newgroup but would like to learn a lot more that might help me in
my decision.

We're doing some rapid prototyping (hence  RDBMS)  for  both  hardware  and
software  on  UNIX  based  "workstations".  Our task entails such things as
message processing (involving field checking and storage of "formatted" but
variable length text), geographic displays (bit map storage would be nice),
sophisticated  MMI,  and  manipulation  of  more  traditional kinds of data
(which lends itself well to "traditional" RDBMSs).  On top of all  this  we
are  going  to  have a number of "workstations" with several "operators" at
each that will be tied together and all have to access the same database in
a time-critical fashion.

We would like sophisticated 4GL capability AND GOOD PERFORMANCE!!  So far I
haven't  found  the  "best  of all worlds".  There are RDBMS products which
have capabilities like binary and unlimited  text  data  types  but  slower
performance,  etc.  I  would  love  to  hear  from vendors and users alike.

Remember too that vendors who tout their products in this forum are subject
to criticisms, complaints, and exceptions -  what  better  way  to  compare
sales hype with reality.  So let's open up the floor for all!

   Janet M. Maclaughlin, Code 722   MILNET/ARPANET: walker@nosc.arpa
   Naval  Ocean  Systems  Center    UUCP: [ihnp4,akgua,decvax,dcdwest,ucbvax]!
   San Diego, California   92152                        ||
   (619) 225-2316  (AV) 933-2316               sdcsvax!noscvax!walker

martin@uhccux.UUCP (06/03/87)

In article <711@cod.UUCP> walker@cod.nosc.mil.UUCP (Janet M. Walker) writes:
>In article <332@bty.UUCP> yost@bty.UUCP writes:
>>> Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I don`t mind at all having employees of
>>> various vendors discuss the relative merits of their systems, as well as
>>> having users of those systems discuss them.
>
>Well then,  count  me  in  this  "minority"  too.  I,  also,  am  currently
>evaluating  DBMSs (RDBMSs to be exact) and have not ruled out the idea of a
>"back-end" DB machine to boot :).  I have learned some  interesting  things
>from this newgroup but would like to learn a lot more that might help me in
>my decision.

Same here.  We're evaluating RDMSs for use in distributed medical information
systems, running on workstations with multiple fileservers separated in some
cases by over a 100 miles.  Our requirements include storage of bit-mapped
images (1024 x 1024 x 16), e.g., radiographs, MRI and CT scans, sonograms,
etc.; support of multiple security class definitions (physician, nurse,
patient's physician, emergency room physician, chief radiologist, location,
etc.)  which allows data to be assigned to multiple security classes
according to node/relation/virtual relation (compiled)/field etc. in order
to regulate who can access what data in a highly confidentail medical
environment; support for data storage on WORM drives (most medical
information is by law write-once read mostly).

On the mundane financial side, we need heterogeneous database access,
since the market we're going after is mired in conventional technology,
and we need the ability to interface with IBM databases running on
IBM mainframes.

Because we are using graphics workstations, our application also requires that
the RDBMS have a robust 4GL with a user interface built on top of X-windows,
preferably using a user-interface development tool such as Apollo's "Dialog",
since X-windows has become a standard for graphics workstations and rumor
has it that "Dialog" may become a user-interface standard for graphics
workstations.

We're also implementing a knowledge-based system to interact with the
user entering information into the RDBMS to enforce data integrity from
the standpoint of the medical knowledge base, where most of the medical
knowledge base is actually stored on the RDBMS.  I have a paper which will
be published in an upcoming issue of the Journal of Medical Informatics
which describes the automated construction of a computer thesaurus type
knowledge base using an RDBMS instead of the conventional FRL approach.

And we're really not interested in PC implementations, since the low-end Apollo
and Sun workstations are now in the same price range as the high-end PCs.

We'll be evaluating Ingres, as soon as our demo copy arrives, and have not
ruled-out the use of a database machine as opposed to a file/process server
running a software RDBMS.

Any takers?

Regards,
	Brian K. Martin, M.D.
	CEO, Martin Information Systems, Ltd.
	3420-A Hinahina Street
	Honolulu, Hawaii 96816
	(808) 735-5661

ARPA: uhccux!medix!martin@nosc.mil
UUCP: { ihnp4,ucbvax,dcdwest,seismo }!sdcsvax!nosc!uhccux!medix!martin

bert@infoswx.UUCP (06/04/87)

I also think there should be more practical information
in this newsgroup.  Technical discussions of various methods of
accomplishing a task, even if by people who have ties to
a commercial interest in a product, can be valuable as long
as they don't degenerate into sales blurb hype.  The net
seems to be fairly good at policing itself in that regard...

As for 4GLs - I recently undertook to use Informix-4GL for the
development of an applications program here.  We use the Informix
ESQL, ISQL and C-ISAM products with good results.  However,
since the application in question involves more than just
pure user-interface to and reports from our db, Informix-4GL
is not a good tool.  The interface to C included is more trouble
than it is worth, and restriction after restriction awaits
those who try to do anything outside the 4GL, which is required
in our case.

The 4GL itself is OK, as long as you can do your ENTIRE application
in it.

This is of course just an opinion I arrived at after working with
it for about a month.

I would be interested in a posting summarizing your responses
to your 4GL question.

Bert Campbell @infoswx

bouwhof@cs.vu.nl (Bouhof W) (06/05/87)

To: ecec@tut.cc.rochester.edu.UUCP
From: Bouhof W <bouwhof@cs.vu.nl>
Newsgroups: comp.databases
Bcc:

In article <1392@ur-tut.UUCP> you write:
>I'd be interested in hearing plugs by vendors for their own products.
>I hope the plugs would be technical.  It would be a great way to learn
>about the various databases; certainly no one is as familiar with the
>shortcomings of database X than the maker of database Y.
>
>If ridiculous, false, or unfair claims were made, they would be subject
>to the criticism of the readers of this group, which includes the other
>vendors.  The result would be an informed discussion greatly superior to
>the advertisments that are in the trade publications.
>
>I'm aware that no one wants to see this newsgroup turned into one long
>commercial, but I'd also like to learn more about the products that are
>available.
>
>What do people think?
>
>                            Eric Carleen
>                            University of Rochester Medical Center
>                            UUCP:  {seismo|allegra}!rochester!ur-msbvax!edc
>                            Bitnet: heartedc@uorhbv
>                            Phone: (716)-275-5391

Although I'm an enthousiastic UNIX user, I recently also became
rather fond of TANDEM's stuff.  Here, we are discussing DBMSs
and therefore ther should also be a place for Tandem's
NonStop SQL (I'm no shareholder) which is called the most
relational approach to DBMS and which in a recently performed
benchmark (done by Codd and Date's bureau) managed to handle
208 OLTP transactions per second in a simulated 25,000 automatic
teller machine environment.

In comment to Eric Carleen's article I wish to add that it is
indeed interesting to learn more about the available products
and to comment (here only briefly) on their merits.

Is there anyone who can elaborate on the new NonStop SQL in
relation to other (R)DBMS and especially to the myths of the
supposed inherent slowness of the relational approach.  Is there
here a real milestone as stated by Date??

Edwin F. Setzpfand
(on vu44!bouwhof)

bh@ptsfa.UUCP (Brian Holliday) (06/10/87)

=
=The 4GL itself is OK, as long as you can do your ENTIRE application
=in it.
=
=This is of course just an opinion I arrived at after working with
=it for about a month.
=
=Bert Campbell @infoswx

I am sold on Informix 4GL.  The interface to C gives me no problems.
There are no restrictions that I am aware of.  You can integrate C
routines into your application, and pass your arguments on
the stack (4GL ==> C, and C ==> 4GL).  You can also execute a
program, by using Informix 4GL's equivalent to "system" (EXECUTE).

I would not say that it is perfect, though.  You do have to live
within the boundaries of the 4GL, as the user interface is in a
certain format.  There are some bugs (which can be worked around).
It is not the fastest database in the world.  Compiled 4GL
executable binaries are *huge*, which could be a problem if you do not
have enough main memory -- the EXECUTE stops working (a 3B5 UNIX
problem: the fork hangs) -- but there is a funky work-around.

The application I am developing has 2 integrated C routines (one
gets shell variables, one is my funky "system" call).  I could add
more integrated C routines if the application needed it.  The
application also executes several shell scripts, which execute
totally outside of the 4GL environment.  One of the system calls
gives the user a Bourne shell.

I am quite sure that 4GLs are the wave of the future for database
programming.  There may be better 4GLs than Informix (Informix 4GL is
the only one I know, so I can't say), but for my purposes right now,
Informix 4GL is good enough.  I can develop applications very quickly
with it, so it has paid for itself.  It does take longer than a month to
find all the potholes, and figure out how to work around them, though.

NOTE: I do not work for Informix, Inc.  These comments are my own, and do
not necessarily represent my company's view.
						Brian Holliday (ptsfa!bh)