[comp.databases] Need info on SYBASE

mats@enea.UUCP (Mats Josefsson) (06/09/87)

I have some questions for people who are using an RDBMS product
from Sybase Inc. (or anyone knowing the answers).

First, some background: I'm evaluating RDBMS products to be used
in a software development environment.  The system should aid in
development, production, support and maintenance of a large
real-time software system.  The database is to be used to keep
track of all parts of the system, dependencies between parts,
which parts has been delivered to whom etc.  It should also be
possible to see which delivered systems would be affected by a
software change and so on.  In addition to this we plan to
support the administration of development and delivery projects
as well as the internal organization of the company (Who's assigned
to this project? Which projects are this guy assigned to?).

The system should be able to support around 100 simultaneous
users.  We haven't decided on the hardware yet, but it will
probably be a supermini in the 10 Mips (or 780 equvivalents) range.
We estimate that the database will have about a hundred relations
with a total of a few million tuples.  The real-time system is about
5-10 GBytes of source and documentation. It's not necessary to keep
the source and doc's in the database though.

In the process of evaluating RDBMS systems I've come across the
products DataWorkbench/DataToolset* from Sybase Inc.  Since it is
a fairly new product and the company has no representatives
outside the U.S.A., I wonder if anyone reading this newsgroup
could help me with some questions.

1. Is it really as good as the "glossy brochures" say?  They claim
   for instance to go beyond Codd's 12 rules, supporting DBMS
   enforced integrity, backup and design changes on a "live" system,
   distributed data management etc.  These features would save a lot
   of application development/maintenance time.

2. I need some references to people using the system, preferably
   for an application like ours, but any experiences would do.

3. How is performance (as compared to Oracle, Ingres or others)?
   They claim up to 9 TP1 transactions/second on a Sun 3/160.  I
   don't know how this relates to the competition (Oracle, Ingres).

4. How good is the user interface and the application building
   tools.  They lack an ESQL interface, but claim that their
   solution with a programming language interface is better.

* DataWorkbench and DataToolset are trademarks of Sybase Inc.

Thanks in advance,

--
Mats Josefsson, ENEA DATA, Sweden

UUCP: {seismo,mcvax,munnari,cernvax,diku,inria,prlb2,penet,ukc,unido}!enea!mats
Internet: mats@enea.se

walker@cod.UUCP (Janet M. Walker) (06/11/87)

In article <1977@enea.UUCP> mats@enea.se (Mats Josefsson) writes:
>I have some questions for people who are using an RDBMS product
>from Sybase Inc. (or anyone knowing the answers).

Me too! So please post any replies.  I am very interested in EVERYTHING that
can be said about Sybase and I suspect others are too.

jmc@ptsfa.UUCP (Jerry Carlin) (06/11/87)

In article <722@cod.UUCP> walker@cod.nosc.mil.UUCP (Janet Maclaughlin) writes:
>... I am very interested in EVERYTHING that
>can be said about Sybase and I suspect others are too.

I have a little experience with Sybase but a large mouth so ... :-). I attended
a beta training class and have looked over the manuals and spent a short
amount of time hacking at the software. My biased opinion is that they've
got a product with great potential but which is currently a little "young"
(lacking in features - maybe this is an advantage :-)

Speed looks very good. One DBA type who looked at Sybase is excited about
the potential to put the edit rules and integrity checking in the database
and not in the application programs. Such things as triggers in the database
can really help keep garbage out.

Sybase is definately a company to watch.

--
voice: (415) 823-2441	uucp: {ihnp4,lll-crg,ames,qantel,pyramid}!ptsfa!jmc
CompuServe: 73075,1133	GEnie: jerrycarlin