[comp.databases] Information on database, statistical, and graphic programs needed.

bobc@tekgen.TEK.COM (Bob Crane) (07/03/87)

Currently, our group has a set of test stations that get various
data from hybrid components.  The problems is that the test stations
with their corresponding computers aren't compatible with each other,
so we have decided to make provisions to transport all data (via GPIB)
to a database on the IBM PC.  The PC will not only store the data but it
will have to be able to statistically analyze and graph the data.
Typical graphs would be histograms and x-y plots, but multiple histograms
(side by side) and three dimensional plotting would also be nice.

So what are the hottest software packages on the market today that
would most efficiently handle this sort of job?

Symphony by Lotus Co. might do the job but I'm not quite sure how
strong its databasing features are.  Anybody use Symphony alot?

I realize that my problem description is very vague but I am just
trying to get a feeling for all the (many) software
programs available for the PC that do this sort of thing.

Any and all responses appreciated.

Thank you.

Bob Crane
bobc@tekgen                Tektronix, Inc.
tektronix!tekgen!bobc      MS 13-880
                           Beaverton, Oregon 97077

mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) (07/04/87)

Bob Crane (bobc@tekgen.TEK.COM) asks about statistics and graphics for
a database application.

I don't know if you want a statistics program separate from you data-
base application, but Statgraphics (STSC, Inc., 2115 East Jefferson St.
Rockville, MD 20852, 301 984 5123) has very easy, menu-driven statistics
and rich graphing facilities, including 3-D graphs.  Written in inter-
preted APL, it's no speed demon, but it's quite good, through moderate
sized datasets.

--Mike Volow, Psychiatry, Durham Veterans Administration Medical Center
  Durham, NC, 27712             919 383 3568
  mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP

mjr@well.UUCP (Matthew Rapaport) (07/05/87)

In article <1409@tekgen.TEK.COM> bobc@tekgen.TEK.COM (Bob Crane) writes:
>So what are the hottest software packages on the market today that
>would most efficiently handle this sort of job?

Microrim's Rbase System V has an excellent graphics add-on package
that will do everything you want PROVIDED your data meets Rbase's
limits (not more than 80 tables in a database with a total number
of attributes not exceeding 400, etc.)  If your application meets
these tests, Rbase Sys V. should do the job when you add (for a
hundred or so dollars) the graphics package.

mjr@well
Matthew Rapaport