[comp.databases] Authoring Systems

louis@auvax.UUCP (Louis Schmittroth) (07/24/87)

I am looking for an applications generator to be used to develope
computer-based instruction programs which must run on both MS/DOS and
UNIX.  Ideally this should be an authoring system which generates C
program modules which could also be used as a front end for a DBMS.  It
would be nice if an experienced (non-programmer) user could develope
CAI modules, but the system should allow a programmer to customize an
application.  One such system I have looked at briefly is JAM and
FORMAKER from JYACC.  They have ads in UNIX/WORLD, and I have their
demo disk for MS/DOS.  Is there anyone out there with experience using
JYACC's software?

The authoring system should really be a front end to generate C code
and call on a library of functions supplied with the package.  It
should have a screen builder and should generate a data dictionary, but
also flow control facilities.

I will also be evaluating Windows for C and Windows for Data from
Vermont Creative Software, and would appreciate hearing any comments
about this package or any others that you have used.
--

Louis Schmittroth		           My employer has no opinions.
Computer Science

ram@elmgate.UUCP (Randy Martens) (08/06/87)

In article <284@auvax.UUCP> louis@auvax.UUCP (Louis Schmittroth) writes:
>I am looking for an applications generator to be used to develope
>computer-based instruction programs which must run on both MS/DOS and
>UNIX.  Ideally this should be an authoring system which generates C
>program modules which could also be used as a front end for a DBMS.  It
>The authoring system should really be a front end to generate C code
>and call on a library of functions supplied with the package.  It
>should have a screen builder and should generate a data dictionary, but
>also flow control facilities.
------
There is a product Produced by Quantum Software Systems of Ottawa, Ontario,
Canada, called QNX.  It is designed towards 80286 based PC's and makes
them run like greased bats out of hell.  It is the NICEST PC OpSys I have
ever seen.  It is full blown UNIX, full blown "C", and lots of nice features
including windowing, DBMS, networking, menu builder, editor, lots of function
libraries & so forth.  It does real-time/multi-tasking/multi-processing very
well.  Part of the package is a tool called QDOS which allows you to
run MSDOS inside a UNIX shell, and have the DOS applications think that
they are on their very own little DOS machine, and let the QNX control
them and run other tasks in paralell.  It also includes the ability to create
applications in the UNIX environment. and crosslink them to run as dos .EXE
files.

Quantum can be reached at (613)-591-0931 or (613)-726-1896.

Randy Martens - Hi ! I am new to the net.
Mail - Eastman Kodak, dept. 646 2-9, 901 Elmgrove Road, Rochester, NY, 14650
"Reality - what a Concept !" - R.Williams