[comp.databases] Berkely INGRES vs. Relational Tech. INGRES

glidden@morgoth.UUCP (Ken A. Glidden) (09/04/87)

We have just installed the old Berkeley INGRES which came with Ultrix 2.0.

We need to develop a database of results of groundwater sampling done at a
variety of hazardous waste sites.

Q1: Is the old INGRES adequate, or is it so bug-ridden that I should just
    go out and buy R.T.'s INGRES?

Q2: What are the significant differences between the 2 versions of INGRES?

--
LIVE:   Ken A. Glidden, (617) 969-0050
ARPA:	adelie!morgoth!glidden@harvard.HARVARD.EDU

tiberio@seismo.CSS.GOV (Mike Tiberio) (09/08/87)

In article <434@morgoth.UUCP>, glidden@morgoth.UUCP (Ken A. Glidden) writes:
> We have just installed the old Berkeley INGRES which came with Ultrix 2.0.
> Q1: Is the old INGRES adequate, or is it so bug-ridden that I should just
>     go out and buy R.T.'s INGRES?
> Q2: What are the significant differences between the 2 versions of INGRES?
We tested Berkeley INGRES and RTI INGRES back in 1984 and found the
comercial INGRES faster by a factor of 60 for a three way join, two times
faster for a update and just as fast for a sort. We have used RTI INGRES since,
and we only miss the lack of source code, we used to install our own
functions into quel, we have had to live without them since. I doubt
Berkeley INGRES has kept up in terms of 4GL tools.

seismo!tiberio