[comp.databases] Database experiences

Mark_David_McWiggins@cup.portal.com (10/19/87)

Someone above asked for database recommendations/experience ...

My company does warehouse automation applications.  We use networked
PC's and are currently looking for a 4GLish system to standardize
on. We've looked at demo versions of Progress, Zim, and Sculptor and
bought the full (SCO Xenix V) version of Informix 4GL.

All of these suffer from at least one "fatal flaw," in our view. We
sell to unsophisticated users, many of whom don't know a database
from a toaster, but they do know they like flashy windows.  This
kills Progress and Zim, both of which look pretty clunky.

Sculptor performed impressively and its windows were quite fast and
might well have served, but it's a "keyed file system" and not a
relational database.  Each file can have only one key.  Exit
Sculptor.

We bought Informix 4GL after reading the net and seeing no serious
flames and on another recommendation, thinking it would at least be
suitable for a small project we're doing.  Wrong!  The spec calls
for a "browser", with the current record highlighted, and the
product doesn't allow for this.  You can highlight fields in a form,
but EVERY FIELD gets highlighted if you specify highlighting!  The
tech support person was unable to suggest a C workaround, nor could
we think of one. There are other annoyances: unhelpful error
messages, a core dump when running the compiler, a slooow two-level
preprocesor implementation, a language that seems relatively quite
low level, yet still leaves holes ... $1239 down the drain.

We've developed our own many-moving-parts 4GLish system with YACC &
C, using Btrieve (nice DOS version, Xenix version seems flaky; any
other file manager could easily be substituted) and Windows for Data
(strange documentation, but a very nice product).  This will serve
for the moment, although we're still looking at alternatives.  We're
going to an Ingres seminar in a few weeks ...

Recommendation: don't buy without getting your hands on for at
least half a day.  Wish we hadn't!

rupley@arizona.edu (John Rupley) (10/20/87)

Would someone comment on /rdb?  There has been little mention of
it, at least recently, in this newsgroup, although /rdb seems to
have been targetted intelligently for UNIX systems.  How does it
compare in power, speed, interface, etc, with the such standards
as Informix or Oracle?  Any serious flaws?

ries@trwrb.UUCP (Marc Ries) (10/21/87)

In article <1037@cup.portal.com> Mark_David_McWiggins@cup.portal.com writes:
[purged]

>We bought Informix 4GL after reading the net and seeing no serious
>flames and on another recommendation, thinking it would at least be
>suitable for a small project we're doing.  Wrong!  The spec calls
>for a "browser", with the current record highlighted, and the
>product doesn't allow for this.  You can highlight fields in a form,
>but EVERY FIELD gets highlighted if you specify highlighting!  The
>tech support person was unable to suggest a C workaround, nor could
>we think of one.

 I am not sure how you are attacking  this  problem,  but  it  is
 definitely  possible  to  highlight the current record within an
 Informix 4GL program without causing all of the other fields  to
 highlight *and* with a C routine.

 In  general,  the  Tele-Tech  Support   people   are   glorified
 secretaries.   The  *real*  4GL  people  are  reserved  for  the
 consulting and custom programing jobs.

 The error messages *are* unhelpful.

 I have never had a core dump during the compile  (many  run-time
 dumps, but never during a compile)

 If you can give me a *real* UUCP return address,  I  could  send
 you more info.

--
		Marc A. Ries

		sdcrdcf!---\