[comp.databases] Multi-Level Secure DB

jtd@wdl1.UUCP (Jeffrey T. DeMello) (11/11/87)

Is there any info/interest/experience out there in the DB world about
Multi-Level secure databases?

Has anyone out there read proceedings/attended the National Computer
Security Center Invitational Workshop on Database Security.

Has anyone out there made interpretations to the DoD "Orange Book"
as applied to DB's

Jeff DeMello
jtd@ford-wdl1.arpa

anderson@aero.ARPA (Tom Anderson) (11/15/87)

In article <3560003@wdl1.UUCP> jtd@wdl1.UUCP (Jeffrey T. DeMello) writes:
>Is there any info/interest/experience out there in the DB world about
>Multi-Level secure databases?
>
>Has anyone out there read proceedings/attended the National Computer
>Security Center Invitational Workshop on Database Security.
>
>Has anyone out there made interpretations to the DoD "Orange Book"
>as applied to DB's
>
>Jeff DeMello
>jtd@ford-wdl1.arpa

yes, there is a group actively working on the TDI (Trusted DBMS
Interpretations) to the DoD "Orange Book.  The NCSC workshop
was the initial step, leading to a smaller working group preparing
the TDI.  Several papers in the Invitational Workshop attempted
to provide direction for the intended TDI.
(I believe that you can request a copy by contacting
Office of Standards and Products,
ATTN: Chief Computer Security Standards
DoD Computer Security Center
Fort Meade, Maryland 20755)

A schedule for release of the TDI is not firm, i.e., the schedule
for completion and other decisions will affect the timing of the
release.  The only truth is that the document is not currently
available for release.

(I was at the workshop, and am on the working group)

anderson@aerospace