[comp.databases] Need file formats for Dbase III

lawitzke@eecae.UUCP (John Lawitzke) (12/05/87)

> I need help finding a published document that contains the current
> specifications for Dbase III files.

There is book out titled something like "File Formats for MS-DOS" or
something similar (it been a while since I've seen the book) That goes
into file format for various "famous" application programs like dBase,
Lotus, Supercalc, et. al.

I've never read it or used it, I can only tell you that it exists and
I've seen it at one of finer bookstores near the University.

--
j                                UUCP: ...ihnp4!msudoc!eecae!lawitzke
"And it's just a box of rain..." ARPA: lawitzke@eecae.ee.msu.edu  (35.8.8.151)

rcw@qetzal.UUCP (Robert C. White) (12/06/87)

In article <4452@eecae.UUCP>, lawitzke@eecae.UUCP (John Lawitzke) writes:
> > I need help finding a published document that contains the current
> > specifications for Dbase III files.
>
> There is book out titled something like "File Formats for MS-DOS" or
> something similar (it been a while since I've seen the book) That goes
> into file format for various "famous" application programs like dBase,
> Lotus, Supercalc, et. al.

The book you want is entitled:

File Formats for Popular PC Software - A programmer's Reference
By Jeff Walden

Wiley IBM PC Series
Laurence Press, Series Editor
A Wiley Press Book
John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
New York, Chichester, Brisbane, Toronto, Singapore

Formats for the following PC Software is discussed:

Lotus 1-2-3, Ability, Dbase II and Dbase III, DIF Format, Multimate,
Microsoft Multiplan, IBM Plans, SuperCalc3, Visicalc, Wordstar,
Wordstar 2000.

Robert White

--
//////////////////286 Moderator -- comp.unix.microport\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Email to microport@uwspan for info on the newsgroup comp.unix.microport.

drc@dbase.UUCP (Dennis Cohen) (12/06/87)

> I need help finding a published document that contains the current
> specifications for Dbase III files.

The Advanced Programmer's Guide for dBASE II and dBASE III, published by
Ashton-Tate Publications, authored by Jay Hanson, Luis Castro, and Tom Rettig
contains this information as well as a large amount of sample code for doing
a variety of things with dBASE.  I've seen it in Dalton's, WaldenBooks, Crown
and others in So. Cal.

Dennis Cohen
Ashton-Tate Glendale Development Center