In article <3103@ihlpf.ATT.COM>, lukas@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Lukas) writes:
> I have a shell script like:
>
> 	sacego -q line_obj <<-eof |
> 			opr ...
> 		ans1
> 		ans2
> 		ans3
> 		eof
>
> (ans? are answers to prompts from sacego) which does not work, and
> generates obscure messages, e.g.:
>
> 	/tmp/sh63112: cannot open
>
> When I put the pipeline all on one line, vis:
>
> 	sacego -q line_obj <<-eof | opr ...
>
> all works fine.

/bin/sh, in all of the implementations that I have used, has trouble with
here files ( <<EOF et al ) in pipelines and in the background.  In scripts,
when I want:

	foo (<-END-OF-LIST &
		list
		of data
	END-OF-LIST

I use the following instead, because sh gets confused about the name of
the temp file:

	(
	foo (<-END-OF-LIST
		list
		of data
	END-OF-LIST
	) &

In a pipeline, similar treatment works:

( foo <<-EOF
  EOF
  ) | etc

Sometimes the bug is noted on the sh(1) man page, other times it is not.
	Kent Forschmiedt -- uucp: tikal!camco!happym!kent

kent@happym (12/27/87)

In my previous posting, I meant "foo <<-END-OF-LIST", not "foo (<-END-OF-LIST"
	Kent Forschmiedt -- uucp: tikal!camco!happym!kent