[comp.databases] Relational

roger@esquire.UUCP (Roger Reid) (01/09/88)

In article <2556@sfsup.UUCP> prj@sfsup.UUCP (P.Jayne) writes:
>As for my other "mistakes" I will reply after a few more flames.  The only
>poster so far who knows of an actual complex database using "relational
>technology" responded by email.  My fellow loud-mouths are all using the net
>and it's great!  Keep them flames coming.

We have what we believe to be one of the most complex relational
database applications around running here on Britton Lee IDMs.
They were done relational because there was no other way to
do it that would work as well as we needed it to (network
would have saddled us with all kinds of decisions far too
early in design - We would have lost all flexibility and hence
most of the usefulness of the system). Hierarchical couldn't
have describe the thing usefully.  The analytical flexibility
we require can (at this time) only be satisfied by the
relational model.  (It also saves us all kinds of disk
space due to as we have almost no redundant data).

It runs on BLI hardware because of its complexity: there is
no way a software based system could run the thing (not enough
CPU cycles in a month). If we were to begin from scratch today
it is quite possible that Sybase running on a backend Unix
machine could take the place of the BLI - tho that has not been proven.

It would cost my firm a significant portion of their billings
to not use the relational model running on hardware simply
because we could not keep track of the intense amount of
detail necessary otherwise.

If people are interested enough I might be able to post a more detailed
article, after checking with my bosses that I am not giving
away proprietary information.  Send mail if you want to encourage me.

As for other models, there are applications for which we use a
locally developed single unique key, hash based set of functions.
The key to this argument is to use the right tool for the right job.
You don't use a $40000 piece of hardware or a $27000 piece
of software to keep track of phone numbers, unless of course you
are the West German phone company (which uses BLI's for directory
assistance - an example of the largest (as opposed to the most complex)
application of relational db).

pavlov@hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) (01/15/88)

In article <271@esquire.UUCP>, roger@esquire.UUCP (Roger Reid) writes:
> In article <2556@sfsup.UUCP> prj@sfsup.UUCP (P.Jayne) writes:
> >....... The only
> >poster so far who knows of an actual complex database using "relational
> >technology" responded by email.
>
> We have what we believe to be one of the most complex relational
> database applications around running here on Britton Lee IDMs.
> They were done relational because there was no other way to
> do it that would work as well as we needed it to .....

  We do not have the most complex application on a relational dbms, but it
  is substantial nevertheless: apx. 250 tables, the need for 80-100 logical
  views into various overlapping subsets of the tables, etc.

  We chose a relational dbms because it was our estimate that we would have
  to at least triple our programming staff otherwise (rather difficult on
  research budgets...).  Why ? because the database has to also be highly
  dynamic, with 4-6 tables being added per month, 1-2 being retired, and new
  views of the data added at the rate of 2 per month.

  The relational dbms (which is not that important, but it happens to be com-
  mercial Ingres, which does give you QUEL) has allowed us to build a complete-
  ly data-independent set of core applications.  As new tables are brought on-
  line, "administrative" tables are updated which describe specialized details
  about the tables, new logical views, etc, to the core applications.

  - thus, we have reduced structure modification to a data updating task, for
    most cases.

  Has this resulted in a "slower", less efficient system ?  Maybe.  But I do
  know that I can maintain highly acceptable throughput with additional hard-
  ware for a fraction of what the additional programming staff would cost.
  And, the programmers on board can concentrate on new applications instead
  of constantly rehashing the existing software base...

   greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny.

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (01/15/88)

Another large scale system--I am told by a friend at USX (aka US Steel) that
their sales and marketing database is built using a relational system.

And isn't the New York Stock Exchange system relational?

roger@esquire.UUCP (Roger Reid) (01/16/88)

In article <29896UH2@PSUVM> UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) writes:

>And isn't the New York Stock Exchange system relational?

I think that's true - in any case, many of the large brokerage houses
here on Wall Street use BLI's for order systems - definatly non-trivial!
Sybase is starting to make some inroads in that arena also.  These
are clear examples of where you NEED dedicated hardware (whether
it's something like a BLI or something like Sybase on a backend
processor) to do the work - it will just completely overwhelm the
CPU to do this kind of crunching on the host machine.
					       Roger Reid