[comp.databases] RBASE V Version 1.1

sk0f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Saul Louis Kaplan) (01/14/88)

I have built a database for a utility company and the file size needed is
greater than the 32 MEG limit set by DOS.  Has anyone had any experience with
this.  I am looking for software, which Microrim says exists, which will allow
larger DOS partitions.  Please respond.  Thank you.

Saul Kaplan
SK0F@andrew.cmu.edu

karthur@codas.att.com (Kurt_R_Arthur) (01/14/88)

In article <QVuuYvy00Uo6Nz809z@andrew.cmu.edu> sk0f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Saul Louis Kaplan) writes:

> I have built a database for a utility company and the file size needed is
> greater than the 32 MEG limit set by DOS.  Has anyone had any experience with
> this. I am looking for software, which Microrim says exists, which will allow
> larger DOS partitions.  Please respond.  Thank you.

If you are running a Compaq machine, upgrading to DOS 3.31 will allow disks of
up to 512 MB.  Microsoft should be shipping a generic version of 3.31 in the
near future for other machines.

If you don't have a Compaq, and can't wait for Microsoft to get out a new DOS,
contact Golden Bow systems.  They have several products for harddisk support,
one of which is a facility to allow fixed disks > 32 mb.  Golden Bow advertises
in all of the major trades (PC Week, Byte, PC Magazine).

I have used Golden Bow's Vopt package and have been pleased.

Kurt Arthur
Software Services of Florida, Inc.

karthur@codas.att.com (Kurt_R_Arthur) (01/14/88)

Sorry about the second posting, but I neglected to state a caveat:

If you purchase a package that creates DOS partitions greater than 32 Mb, any
software that directly accessed the disk (like Norton's Utilities) and most
disk cache software will not work.  With that in mind, make sure prior to
purchasing a package that it will work with Rbase, and that you have right of
return if it doesn't (I don't know if Rbase directly accesses a disk or not).

marlin@thelink.UUCP (01/16/88)

From article <QVuuYvy00Uo6Nz809z@andrew.cmu.edu>, by sk0f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Saul Louis Kaplan):

> I have built a database for a utility company and the file size needed is
> greater than the 32 MEG limit set by DOS.  Has anyone had any experience with
> this.  I am looking for software, which Microrim says exists, which will allow
> larger DOS partitions.  Please respond.  Thank you.
>
> Saul Kaplan
> SK0F@andrew.cmu.edu

I have had great success with a product of Storage Dimensions called
SpeedStor. The version 5.2 or greater supports several hundred drive types
is helpful in many areas - low level formats, setting up multiple 32 Meg
partitions on a Hard Disk as well as allowing large drive to accessed as a
single dos unit as you application demands.  Diagnostic software for  a
comprehensive surface analysis of your hard disk and controller testing
is also included. Version 5.2 and above also are delivered with a program
called speed-cache that works well with any drive set-up with the SpeedStor
package.

For more info write :
               Storage Dimensions
               14127 Capri Drive,
               Los Gatos, CA 95030
    Or call    (408) 370-3304

Std. Discliam applies I have no affiliation to Storage Dimensions or Hexis
Design other than that of a satisfied customer.

--
Marlin Sheffield                                       The right answer
52178 Fieldstone      .!iuvax!ndmath!thelink!marlin    at the wrong time