[comp.databases] Unify/Accell Transaction Logging, etc.

wayne@charlie.OZ (Wayne Jennings) (02/05/88)

Has anyone written any useful routines to interrogate the
transaction log/keep audit trails of any kind including printing
of the file in a useful ascii readable format?

Has anyone written any useful unload/reload routines for
Unify databases?

Has anyone written any routines to test the logical structure of
the Database?

Has anyone written any other useful routines that other
Unify/Accell users could find useful?

Where are all the Accell/Unify Users in the states hiding!!!!!!
There does not seem to be much correspondence between them.!!!!

nfm1470@dsacg3.UUCP (Paul E. Bronsdon) (02/08/88)

In article <6597@charlie.OZ>, wayne@charlie.OZ (Wayne Jennings) writes:

> Where are all the Accell/Unify Users in the states hiding!!!!!!
> There does not seem to be much correspondence between them.!!!!

Charlie, I also asked the same question to the net a couple of months
ago, with only one response. We here at DLA Systems Automation Center
have been UNIFY 3.2 Users for about 2 years and have recently aquired
UNIFY 4.0/ACCELL. Since we are new with using this new software, any
comments or helpful hints regarding UNIFY 4.0/ACCELL would also be
appreciated.

As to where are all the ACCELL/UNIFY user hiding, I have no idea. I know
for a fact there are quite a few of them out there because of the number
of people I saw at a UNIFY Users Group meeting in Washington, DC last
January. Hopefully, some of those people might read these postings and
will post some sort of response.  Don't Be Bashfull !!

*Paul Bronsdon  KA8ZZW << DLA Systems Automation Center, Columbus, Ohio >> *
*PHONE: 614-238-9474    UUCP:{uunet!gould,cbosgd!osu-cis}!dsacg1!pbronsdon *

nfm1470@dsacg3.UUCP (Paul E. Bronsdon) (02/08/88)

In article <6597@charlie.OZ>, wayne@charlie.OZ (Wayne Jennings) writes:
						--------------
Opss!!! Wayne, sorry about calling you Charlie.
Boy is my face red!!

lchirica@polyslo.UUCP (Laurian Chirica) (02/11/88)

In article <683@dsacg3.UUCP> nfm1470@dsacg3.UUCP (Paul E. Bronsdon) writes:
>In article <6597@charlie.OZ>, wayne@charlie.OZ (Wayne Jennings) writes:
>
>> Where are all the Accell/Unify Users in the states hiding!!!!!!
>> There does not seem to be much correspondence between them.!!!!
>
>Charlie, I also asked the same question to the net a couple of months
>As to where are all the ACCELL/UNIFY user hiding, I have no idea. I know
>for a fact there are quite a few of them out there because of the number
>of people I saw at a UNIFY Users Group meeting in Washington, DC last
>January. Hopefully, some of those people might read these postings and
>will post some sort of response.  Don't Be Bashfull !!

- At CAL POLY we use UNIFY/ACCELL for teachig database courses (since
  Sept. 85).
- I do not remember who the person was, but sometime ago somebody
collected names and addresses of UNIFY/ACCELL users.  I think I
still have a list somewhere.  If you are insterested I can mail it
directly to you.
- I understand that there was a West Coast UNIFY Users Group
meeting recently.  Someone even promised to post a report on that
meeting.  I'd be interested to see a report on the Washington DC
meeting as well.  I did not know that there was one.
- Has anyone tried ACCELL/CP?
- We do have a communication problem!! Maybe that UNIFY users are too
busy developing applications to read the net news.

Laurian M. Chirica
Computer Science Department
California Polytechnic State University
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407 (805) 756-1332

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (02/11/88)

>In article <6597@charlie.OZ>, wayne@charlie.OZ (Wayne Jennings) writes:
>
>> Where are all the Accell/Unify Users in the states hiding!!!!!!
>> There does not seem to be much correspondence between them.!!!!

I think the reason for this is that most UseNet folk are *not* serious
database applications people.  Sure, there are lots of theorists, but
the troopers are busy trying to get the accounting software to work.

                                                                    lee

forsyth@aa.ecn.purdue.edu (Dale M Forsyth) (02/11/88)

developing the database for record keeping for a moderately large church
using UNIFY on a TANDY 6000 (originally model 16b) using xenix.  We used
until recently version 1.00.00 of unify from TANDY, and recently installed
version 3.2, and are feeling great about it.  Except for learning
difficulties (I was only becomming a database designer, on my own), we have
had no real troubles.  I do, however, have questions that it would be nice
to be able to discuss.  I am generally only a reader of this group, however,
and have VERY limited posting abilities.  If a mailing list develops out of
this discussion, please include me on it.
    Mail to me should be to qqc@h.cc.purdue.edu  (not pur-ee or aa.ecn)
Dale M. Forsyth  Assoc. Prof.  Purdue University

gary@fairlight.oz (Gary Evesson) (02/12/88)

	There's one of us here! We are currently running UNIFY 3.2, but will
be going over to 4.0 as soon as someone finishes porting it for our machine. I
would also like to here more from UNIFY users!

						gary@fairlight.oz
						Gary Evesson.

lchirica@polyslo.UUCP (Laurian Chirica) (02/13/88)

In article <32636UH2@PSUVM> UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) writes:
>>In article <6597@charlie.OZ>, wayne@charlie.OZ (Wayne Jennings) writes:
>>
>>> Where are all the Accell/Unify Users in the states hiding!!!!!!
>>> There does not seem to be much correspondence between them.!!!!
>>

>I think the reason for this is that most UseNet folk are *not* serious
>database applications people.  Sure, there are lots of theorists, but
>the troopers are busy trying to get the accounting software to work.

I beg to disagree.  Maybe there are not *many* serious users.  But look
for example at the recent posting of source code for UNIFY/ACCELL.
That's serious work in my book.  Thanks Mark and keep up the
good work!
-- Laurian

george@ditmela.oz (George michaelson) (02/13/88)

From article <315@fairlight.oz>, by gary@fairlight.oz (Gary Evesson):

> 	There's one of us here! We are currently running UNIFY 3.2, but will
> be going over to 4.0 as soon as someone finishes porting it for our machine. I
> would also like to here more from UNIFY users!
>
> 						gary@fairlight.oz
> 						Gary Evesson.

I used UNIFY extensively in the UK, doing a passwd & mail table management
system for ucl-cs unix hosts (this was before "yellow pages" were freely
available) and found it a real pain in the neck.

I am amazed at how badly unify code ported between sun vax & pyramid
implementations  and the effect it had on the CPU.  Any non-trivial lookup
completely floored the system. I could kill a dual processor pyramid 98x
faster than 40+ users running scheme and doing s/w development
and that is saying something.

The fixed length string definition & the dumb use of <space> for string padding
was a complete nightmare. To do anything I had to write a whole bundle
of wrap-up inside my code to cover for the abysmal data model. As regards the
mapping of nice names to numeric values I regard the use of non standard C
such as $define and  the binary only pre-processor code as a wicked mistake.
The C interface worked indifferently with the BSD universe compiler,
trivial changes to libcpp & inclusion of a small sysV to BSD portability
library could have covered for this problem.

Anything less than a complete DB re-build inevitably corrupted the binary
files. I never managed to take a tapedump, only sun offered text-to DB
dumping (which is a magic way to port code between DB packages but I guess
UNIFY want to lock users in..) which was a drag. NFS use was impossible.

ACCEL I cannot speak for: nobody at ucl was remotely interested in emulating
an IBM PC screens system on their applications.

I suspect there is no RDBMS package which correctly addresses the problems
of existing UNIX practice and has come up out of the micro world. UNIFY
was tested against a large field and we jumped reluctantly at the only
product that attempted to offer a bit of everything.  It was a the best
of a poor bunch.

If you're designing applications that use the ENTER and SQL screens stuff
extensively, have lots of PC's and staff understand them & their mode of
operation, don't want to understand UNIX or C nor do anything unusual
UNIFY and ACCEL may well address your problem. If you can program and have
used vi or emacs forget it.

	SQL sucks. even Ted Codd says so

ACSnet:	G.Michaelson@ditmela.oz.au	DISCLAIMER: my views are my own.
Postal:	55 Barry St, Carlton, Vic 3053
Phone:	(03) 347 8644 				Fax:	(03) 347 8987
--
ACSnet:	G.Michaelson@ditmela.oz.au
Postal:	55 Barry St, Carlton, Vic 3053
Phone:	(03) 347 8644 				Fax:	(03) 347 8987

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (02/15/88)

My statement that most UseNet folk are not serious database users is
easy to misinterpret.  I DID NOT SAY that people who read comp.databases
are not serious.  I said that 90% of the folk who read all the other
stuff are not serious database users.

                                     Lee

bmp@ecs.ecs.oz (Bruce Paterson) (02/16/88)

In article <315@fairlight.oz>, gary@fairlight.oz (Gary Evesson) writes:

> 	There's one of us here! We are currently running UNIFY 3.2, but will
> be going over to 4.0 as soon as someone finishes porting it for our machine. I
> would also like to here more from UNIFY users!
>
> 						gary@fairlight.oz
> 						Gary Evesson.
OK. I have not been with this company long ( Email Elec & Petroleum Equip. Div )
, previously known as L & L, but we are extensive users of Unify. At present
we still are using Unify 3.1 D because it hasn't been worth the expense of
porting 3.2 or 4 to the discontinued Unison computer. We will soon be moving
to 3.2 or 4 when we upgrade the machine we sell with our bulk loading system.
We have many C routines, our own compressed database backup, a thorough
database checker etc. developed to overcome the many bugs in 3.1, which
would also work on later versions.

						Bruce Pateron

 (If you really want to ask about anything the best address is srw@ecs.oz)

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (02/18/88)

As quoted from <172@aa.ecn.purdue.edu> by forsyth@aa.ecn.purdue.edu.UUCP:
+---------------
| using UNIFY on a TANDY 6000 (originally model 16b) using xenix.  We used
| until recently version 1.00.00 of unify from TANDY, and recently installed
+---------------

That would be Unify 3.1.

I've worked with Unify 3.1 and 3.2 for the past two years.  I also posted a
review of Accell last April.  Later this week I will finally(!) get a copy of
Unify 4.0 and a somewhat more permanent copy of Accell to work with; I may
post an updated review then, especially since I've had more experience with
other DBMS / 4GL products since then.  (In particular, I just had a rather --
let's just say, unproductive -- run-in with Oracle.)  I've a fairly large
collection of Unify tools (some of which I recently posted, others I can
post or possibly mail if desired, see previous messages) I've developed to
make life simpler for database designers.  (Not that anyone asked for a resume,

Anyway, I'm willing to field questions and try to answer them.
--
	      Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc
       {well!hoptoad,uunet!hnsurg3,cbosgd,sun!mandrill}!ncoast!allbery