[comp.databases] HUGE DATABASE ON THE MAC!

aegis@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU ( Dartmouth Yearbook) (02/28/88)

I work for the Dartmouth Yearbook and we are transfering our
database from a mainframe to a mac.
The database is comprised of ~4000 records with 30 fields per record.

I am considering a Mac SE w/ 20M internal drive.  The software would
probably be 4th Dimension. The database file is approxiamately 5 MegaBytes.
Does anyone know any problems this configuration will have?  Suggestions?
I am concerned about 4D being able to sort a 5MByte file with only 1 Meg
of memory. (4D itself is a 750k)

                              -Much Thanks
                                Eric Korenman

Reply to: aegis@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU

liemandt@Lindy.STANFORD.EDU (Joe Liemandt) (03/02/88)

In article <8283@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU> aegis@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Aegis - Dartmouth Yearbook) writes:

>The database is comprised of ~4000 records with 30 fields per record.
>
>I am considering a Mac SE w/ 20M internal drive.  The software would
>probably be 4th Dimension. The database file is approxiamately 5 MegaBytes.
>Does anyone know any problems this configuration will have?  Suggestions?
>I am concerned about 4D being able to sort a 5MByte file with only 1 Meg
>of memory. (4D itself is a 750k)

4th Dimension will be fine.  It can easily handle 5,000 records on a Plus.
4D stores a pointer in memory for each record. So the theoretical maximum is
about 100,000 records on a 1 meg machine.(4D uses about 550-600k of memory
itself)  I personally have a 7,500 record file in 4D and it runs fine
on a Plus.  Because 4D only stores pointers for records, the size of your
datafile is not a concern, number of records is.

E-mail if you have any more questions.
Joe Liemandt
liemandt@jessica.Stanford.EDU