[comp.databases] safe UNIFY schema access

backstro@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Dave White) (03/07/88)

UNIFY suggests a method less likely to cause chaos.  Create a
subdirectory of $DBPATH (I always call it beware :-), cd to it,
ln ../unify.db to file.db, then ln file.db to file.dbr .  If you set the
value of $DBPATH, set it to "", then invoke SQL.  No need to patch UNIFY
binaries!
--
backstro@silver.bacs.indiana.edu

lcain@cucstud.UUCP (Leroy Cain) (03/10/88)

In article <1118@silver.bacs.indiana.edu>, backstro@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Dave White) writes:
> UNIFY suggests a method less likely to cause chaos.  Create a
> subdirectory of $DBPATH (I always call it beware :-), cd to it,
> ln ../unify.db to file.db, then ln file.db to file.dbr .  If you set the
> value of $DBPATH, set it to "", then invoke SQL.  No need to patch UNIFY
> binaries!
> --
> backstro@silver.bacs.indiana.edu

I try this with Unify 3.2 didn't work.  It said

A data dictionary error has occurred.
For more information please check the error log.

But I have found the problem.
DBPATH=.
not
DBPATH=""
this may differ on 4.0 the disk Unify sent had bad spot on them and
I havn't got a chance to get them replace.

By the way Unify will donate there product to Qualifing colleges.

--
Leroy Cain;      Columbia Union College;      Mathematical Sciences Department
7600 Fower Ave. WH406;  	              Takoma Park, Md 20912