[comp.databases] Soliciting comments on Oracle and RDM

jim@forgen.UUCP (Jim Hood) (03/10/88)

I would be interested in receiving comments from people who have
had good or bad experiences with either "Oracle" or "RDM". We have
had a VMS "corporate strategy" imposed upon us, but until this grand
vision is globally installed we're working with a "distributed micros"
scenario. Oracle and RDM are of interest because they both have MS-DOS
and VMS versions; if there are others that also fall in this catagory
I would be receptive to comments.

Unless you feel that there's a strong general interest in this question,
send comments via email, and I'll summarize to the net if appropriate.
--
Jim Hood
{decvax!utcsri pyramid!utai uunet!mnetor ihnp4!utzoo}!lsuc!forgen!jim

pavlov@hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) (03/12/88)

In article <188@forgen.UUCP>, jim@forgen.UUCP (Jim Hood) writes:
> I would be interested in receiving comments from people who have
> had good or bad experiences with either "Oracle" or "RDM".......
> Oracle and RDM are of interest because they both have MS-DOS
> and VMS versions; if there are others that also fall in this catagory
> I would be receptive to comments.

  Relational Technology's Ingres also runs on minis and MS-DOS machines; we
  chose it over Oracle.  RTI doesn't advertise as much and is apparently
  not as adept at catching the attention of the "analyst" crowd, but we
  chose not to hold that against the company ...

    greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny