[comp.databases] Relational DB table generation S/W

sjohnson@cetc.Wichita.NCR.COM (Steve Johnson) (02/17/88)

Does anyone know of any software out there that can generate
the tables once the relationships between the data are defined
for the relational model?

Writing up all of the tables by hand is quite tedious and
inflexible when changing and manipulating the design during
the construction of a relational database when defining
entities, associations, attributes, and normalizing the
data.

Has anyone used any type of software of this kind? Does it
work well?  Where can you purchase the software and
approximate prices?

--
Steve Johnson: Information Systems & Services NCR-CETC Wichita, KS 67226
NCR:530-4726   <S.Johnson@Wichita.NCR.COM>

trogers%yosemite@Sun.COM (Tom Rogers) (02/19/88)

>Does anyone know of any software out there that can generate
>the tables once the relationships between the data are defined
>for the relational model?

Schemadesign is an interactive schema designer/editor that currently
works only on Sun bit-mapped displays. With it you can define all tables,
relationships (it uses the ER model), and fields within the database, and then
generate a new schema/dbms or reconfigure an existing one. The generated
database is a valid SunUnify relational dbms. Schemadesign is part of
a front-end package called SunSimplify which includes other tools and an
access method level interface. SunSimplify runs only on the SunUnify dbms,
but future versions of SunSimplify will work on other dbms.

There are other schema design packages that run on PCs and RTs, including
Chen & Associates, Inc's ER Designer, CCA's DB Designer, and ETH's
Gambit.

For more information on schema design tools and database user interfaces, see
the following article:

Entity Relationship Database User Interfaces
T.R. Rogers, R.G.G. Cattell
Proceedings 6th ER Conference on Entity-Relationship Approach
New York, Nov '87.

brianc@daedalus (Brian Colfer) (03/03/88)

In article <118@cetc.Wichita.NCR.COM> sjohnson@cetc.UUCP (Steve Johnson) writes:
>Does anyone know of any software out there that can generate
>the tables once the relationships between the data are defined
>for the relational model?

The Informix-SQL/4GL packages have a utility which will:
"... quickly produce and RDSQL command file containing the
CREATE TABLE, CREATE INDEX and CREATE VIEW statements required to
replicate an entire database or a selected table."

>Has anyone used any type of software of this kind? Does it
>work well?  Where can you purchase the software and
>approximate prices?

Works fine I use it when ever I need it.

Call Informix : 415-322-4100

             : UCSF Dept. of Lab. Medicine : brianc@cgl.ucsf.edu
Brian Colfer : PH. 415-476-2325            : brianc@daedalus.ucsf.edu
             :                             : brianc@ucsfcca.bitnet

trogers%yosemite@Sun.COM (Tom Rogers) (03/15/88)

In article <1166@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu>, brianc@daedalus (Brian Colfer) writes:
> In article <118@cetc.Wichita.NCR.COM> sjohnson@cetc.UUCP (Steve Johnson) writes:
> >Does anyone know of any software out there that can generate
> >the tables once the relationships between the data are defined
> >for the relational model?

Schemadesign is a graphical entity-relationship diagram editor for SunUnify
databases. Once all relationships and tables have been defined interactively
using the editor (i.e. mouse and keyboard), a database can be automatically
generated. Schemadesign is part of a package called SunSimplify. SunSimplify
can be purchased from Sun. At this time the software runs only on Suns.