[comp.databases] Need a menuing system for use under oracle

gary@rencon.UUCP (Gary Falsken) (03/01/88)

I have a question:   I would like to set up a nice menuing system
under the unix enviroment.  I have heard from oracle corp. that it
should be done under sqlforms, but is that the only way?  If not,
how can it be done?

In this menuing system, I would want to be able to run a few reports,
forms and queries.

Thanks!
--
Gary Falsken
Renaissance Consulting

be@dde.uucp (Bjorn Engsig) (03/04/88)

In article <248@rencon.UUCP>, gary@rencon.UUCP (Gary Falsken) writes:
> I have a question:   I would like to set up a nice menuing system

ORACLE has the menuing system SQL*Menu for use with version 5.1 of
their database, which to my knowledge is available on a number of
Unix boxes.

(What a pitty, ORACLE doesn't read this newsgroup themselves :-| )

--
Bjorn Engsig, E-mail:  ..!uunet!mcvax!diku!dde!be  or  be@dde.uucp
--

bill@bcsfse.UUCP (Bill Sears) (03/08/88)

In article <248@rencon.UUCP> gary@rencon.UUCP (Gary Falsken) writes:
>I have a question:   I would like to set up a nice menuing system
>under the unix enviroment.  I have heard from oracle corp. that it
>should be done under sqlforms, but is that the only way?  If not,
>how can it be done?

This has been a topic of much heated debate among the managers and analysts
of the project that I am working on.  We are using ORACLE SQL*forms on
APOLLO hardware.  Now APOLLO provides this wonderful little tool called
Dialogue for creating menus and cool looking user-interface type stuff, but
it doesn't interface directly with ORACLE.  So we have to invoke iapx as a
separate process every time we want to run a new form.  It takes some time
(approx. 30 seconds) for SQL*forms to setup the mailbox link to the database
server.  This results in a performance problem because of all of the forms
that we run.
Unfortunately, Dialogue and SQL*forms were forced down our throats by the
end-user and now we are being forced to rectify a performance issue that
should never have arisen in the first place.
Two options have been proposed:
    1. Use SQL*forms as our menu system.
       This is unsatisfactory because the "user must have a Dialogue
       front-end for the system to be usable at all."  A quote from the
       users.
    2. Develop C-code which would allow Dialogue to interface directly
       to ORACLE.  This is unsatisfactory because of time constraints
       imposed on the development team by the users.
Getting back to the original question, it seems like the two alternatives
available are using ORACLE products which may or may not save you development
time, or develop your own menu/database interface which involves a larger
initial development effort but will most certainly provide a better environ-
ment for later development.

As an aside, all of the analysts in this group feel that SQL*forms as a
user/database interface is virtually unusable in all but very simplistic
models.  Has anyone had any success using SQL*forms to develop a complex
application?  We have had far more success using PRO*C and HLI.  I realize
that "complex" is a subjective term but we are talking about interface and
coordination of up to 6 tables at a time.

Disclaimer:  The above opinions are those specifically of myself and of
this group.  They do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Boeing
Company in general.
--
	Bill Sears            ...!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!voodoo!bcsfse!bill
			FSE development project

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (03/17/88)

As quoted from <189@bcsfse.UUCP> by bill@bcsfse.UUCP (Bill Sears):
+---------------
| separate process every time we want to run a new form.  It takes some time
| (approx. 30 seconds) for SQL*forms to setup the mailbox link to the database
| server.  This results in a performance problem because of all of the forms
| that we run.
+---------------

...and people wonder why I prefer Unify/Accell...  The Unify menu handler
keeps primed Enter (and Accell/Manager if you run Accell) processes around to
instantly start up applications, communicating with them via pipes.  Very nice!

The ironic thing about this subject thread is that Oracle advertises an
SQL*Menu product... but I have yet to see it except under Mis-Dos.

+---------------
| As an aside, all of the analysts in this group feel that SQL*forms as a
| user/database interface is virtually unusable in all but very simplistic
| models.  Has anyone had any success using SQL*forms to develop a complex
| application?  We have had far more success using PRO*C and HLI.  I realize
| that "complex" is a subjective term but we are talking about interface and
| coordination of up to 6 tables at a time.
+---------------

Well, it's certainly a major pain in the *ss.  A pity, since the Oracle
kernel is a very good product.  But I have to wonder about a product where
simple projections from other files (enter account number, look up and display
account description) are far more difficult to specify than in Informix's
Perform (use "lookup" attribute) or Unify's Enter (if it's an explicit
relationship, just create the field!).  [Alas, that's about the only thing
Enter has going for it.]

As for forms interfaces in general:  if someone took SQL*Forms and Accell
and combined their best features, the result would be one d*mned good forms
handler.  Alas, nobody's done it, and each has its little quirks that can make
development more difficult.  (My experience is that Accell is farther along in
this area, but it could use keyboard macros of the SQL*Forms kind.)

Disclaimer:  I don't work for any of these companies, I just make a living
writing applications under their products.
--
	      Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc
       {well!hoptoad,uunet!hnsurg3,cbosgd,sun!mandrill}!ncoast!allbery