[comp.databases] Database Recommendations

berger@datacube.UUCP (04/05/88)

This has probably been asked a million times here already, but I don't
have an archive of this group so I'll ask again. Responses can be sent
directly to me via email so as not to bore the entire group.

Can anyone compare, contrast, recommend a Relational Database packages?
We are looking for one that runs on Suns and has an excellent package
for making small ad-hoc applications for in-house use without much
programming effort.

We are going to use it for all the little things you always want to
keep track of in a company. Things like bug reports, rma's, changes,
sales leads, correspondense, and other little odds and ends.

We are currently looking into:
	Ingres
	Sybase
	Informix
	Oracle
	Unify

The ease of creating, modifying and maintaing applications as well as
creating ad-hoc reports, mailing labels, mail-merge and querys are
VERY important.

We would also be interested in commercial packages that are built on
one of these database products that can do these kind of tasks in an
integrated maner.
				Bob Berger

Datacube Inc. Systems / Software Group	4 Dearborn Rd. Peabody, Ma 01960
VOICE:	617-535-6644;	FAX: (617) 535-5643;  TWX: (710) 347-0125
UUCP:	berger@datacube.COM,  rutgers!datacube!berger, ihnp4!datacube!berger
	{cbosgd,cuae2,mit-eddie}!mirror!datacube!berger

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (04/06/88)

In article <53900001@datacube>, berger@datacube.UUCP says:

>Can anyone compare, contrast, recommend a Relational Database packages?
>We are looking for one that runs on Suns and has an excellent package
>for making small ad-hoc applications for in-house use without much
>programming effort.
>
>We are currently looking into:
>        Ingres
>        Sybase
>        Informix
>        Oracle
>        Unify

All of which are designed for large, well designed, "high performance"
tasks.  This sounds like the perfect place for /rdb.  It is a set
of relational tools that is totally integrated into the Unix shell,
and thus involves little extra learning for users.  It is good for small,
adhoc, user supported databases.

Discalaimer:  I've only read the manual for /rdb.  For all I know, it doesn't
work.

     lee

bobd@opus.UUCP (Bob Donaldson) (04/06/88)

In article <53900001@datacube>, berger@datacube.UUCP writes:

> We are looking for one that runs on Suns and has an excellent package
> for making small ad-hoc applications for in-house use without much
> programming effort.

How about EMPRESS from Empress Software, Toronto, Canada.  We use it on
our Suns and are VERY happy with it.  Excellent applications generator,
SQL for queries, easy to use report writer with embedded SQL.  We use
it for both engineering applications and miscellany as you describe.

Bob Donaldson              ...!ut-emx!juniper!radian!bobd
Radian Corporation
PO Box 201088              (512) 454-4797
Austin, TX  78703

Views expressed are my own, not necessarily those of my employer.

mitchell@wdl1.UUCP (Jo Mitchell) (04/15/88)

	I use INGRES on SUN (and VMS).  Its very easy to use and
	we've done dozens of applications in it within the last year.
	However; I've seen one benchmark (sorry, proprietary) of
	EMPRESS, INGRES, ORACLE, and SYBASE: EMPRESS came out
	ahead followed closely by SYBASE then ORACLE and, lastly,
	INGRES.
						- Jo

pavlov@hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) (04/16/88)

In article <3560012@wdl1.UUCP>, mitchell@wdl1.UUCP (Jo Mitchell) writes:

> 	I use INGRES on SUN (and VMS).  Its very easy to use and
> 	we've done dozens of applications in it within the last year.
> 	However; I've seen one benchmark (sorry, proprietary) of
> 	EMPRESS, INGRES, ORACLE, and SYBASE: EMPRESS came out
> 	ahead followed closely by SYBASE then ORACLE and, lastly,
> 	INGRES.
> 						- Jo
    I am not disputing that such a benchmark exists.  But it is counter to any
    that I have seen published.  It also does not gibe with many reported ex-
    periences of Sybase users -

     greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny.

lchirica@polyslo.UUCP (Laurian Chirica) (04/16/88)

In article <266@opus.UUCP> bobd@opus.UUCP (Bob Donaldson) writes:
>In article <53900001@datacube>, berger@datacube.UUCP writes:
>>
>> We are looking for one that runs on Suns and has an excellent package
..... stuff deleted

>How about EMPRESS from Empress Software, Toronto, Canada.  We use it on
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Did they changed their name?  I thought it was Rhodnius ...
I tried an evaluation copy of EMPRESS for a month and looked very good.

--
Laurian M. Chirica  (lchirica@polyslo.UUCP)
Computer Science Department

john@geac.UUCP (John Henshaw) (04/17/88)

In article <3560012@wdl1.UUCP> mitchell@wdl1.UUCP (Jo Mitchell) writes:

>	I use INGRES on SUN (and VMS).  Its very easy to use and
>	we've done dozens of applications in it within the last year.
>	However; I've seen one benchmark (sorry, proprietary) of
>	EMPRESS, INGRES, ORACLE, and SYBASE: EMPRESS came out
>	ahead followed closely by SYBASE then ORACLE and, lastly,
>	INGRES.
>						- Jo

I'm a INGRES(tm) Ultrix(tm) user, and we too evaluated several of the
above DBMSs. This included a benchmark which modeled one of our
applications.

Until a standard benchmark is established, I'll have trouble believing
anything I hear. Generic benchmarks such as TP1 or the DeWitt benchmark
suite are contrived, although one must at least respect their intent. Until
some standard exists, my best advice is do what we did: you're going to
have to do it sooner or later anyway.

-john-
--
John Henshaw,			(mnetor, yunexus, utgpu !geac!john)
Geac Computers Ltd.		If we don't pay for education now, are we

mitchell@wdl1.UUCP (Jo Mitchell) (04/20/88)

	The benchmark that I mentioned was done in-house in Sep of 87.
	It compared the said DBs on various DB capabilities which were weighted
	according to the need of the benchmarkers.  Each DB received
	a score of:
            Score  Capability
		0 not present
		1  Poor
		2 Fair
	        3 Average
		4 Good
		5 Excellent
	You can see how partial this system may be (for instance if Oracle
	received a score of 5 in a category that was weighted of importance
	2 they would receive 10 points; however if Ingres received a score
	of 3 in a category that was weighted 4 they would receive 12 points).

	To satisfy y'all I'm trying to get Ford to release a subset of
	this benchmark.  When and if it happens I'll let you know.