[comp.databases] British date in dBase III

paul@csnz.nz (Paul Gillingwater) (05/09/88)

In article <1251@its63b.ed.ac.uk> dougie@its63b.ed.ac.uk (Dougie Nisbet) writes:
>There is a command SET DATE BRITISH which allows use to use british
>type dates, once we have started dBASE, but it does not seem to be possible
>to insert the command DATE = BRITISH into the CONFIG.DB file.

Try this in your CONFIG.DB:
COMMAND=SET DATE BRITISH

I find it better to create an INIT.CMD file with such commands in it,
e.g. SET DATE BRITISH.  Then put COMMAND=DO INIT into CONFIG.DB.

--
Paul Gillingwater, Senior Consultant   Call my private BBS - Magic Tower,
Computer Sciences of New Zealand Ltd   NZ +64 4 753561 V21/V23 8N1 24hrs

dougie@its63b.ed.ac.uk (Dougie Nisbet) (05/13/88)

In article <19@csnz.nz> paul@csnz.UUCP (Paul Gillingwater) writes:
>In article <1251@its63b.ed.ac.uk> dougie@its63b.ed.ac.uk (Dougie Nisbet) writes:
>>There is a command SET DATE BRITISH which allows use to use british
>>type dates, once we have started dBASE, but it does not seem to be possible
>>to insert the command DATE = BRITISH into the CONFIG.DB file.
>
>Try this in your CONFIG.DB:
>COMMAND=SET DATE BRITISH

No, this doesn't work. (At least, not with my version - 1.1)
The number of 'SET' commands which you can put in your CONFIG.DB seems
to be a subset of the total number of SET commands, and the 'SET'
part is dropped when it is placed in the file.

>I find it better to create an INIT.CMD file with such commands in it,
>e.g. SET DATE BRITISH.  Then put COMMAND=DO INIT into CONFIG.DB

Many people suggested this solution to me. I think that the CONFIG.DB
file should be able to set up an environment which is *always*
required. i.e. I will always want dates in british format, this is not
application dependant. When I want to use a slightly different working
environment, I can use the command file name as an argument to the
dbase command.

For me to have to call a secondary startup program to set up a default
environment seems unelegant. I could have 5 dbase applications, each
called from five different DOS batch files, and each one would need the
date set.

Yes, it *is* a piddling little detail, so why isn't it possible?

>--
>Paul Gillingwater, Senior Consultant   Call my private BBS - Magic Tower,
>Computer Sciences of New Zealand Ltd   NZ +64 4 753561 V21/V23 8N1 24hrs
>P.O.Box 929, Wellington, NEW ZEALAND   Soon: V22/V22bis/Bell 103/Bell 212A
>Vox: +64 4 846194, Fax: +64 4 843924  "Scott me up, Beamie!"-Lounge Suit Larry

Dougie Nisbet