[comp.databases] Problems with C-ISAM / Informix over NFS

robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) (04/22/88)

Hi folks,

I have some problems running C-ISAM (on a Sun 3) on a file system
mounted remote from a server via NFS. The C-ISAM routines always
responds with an error code that, after som R of TFM, tells me
that Informix Corp. doesn't like NFS.

I haven't tried this with Informix-SQL or ESQL/C, but I assume
the same problem exists there. Running C-ISAM and/or Informix
on a local disk works, tough.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

   Robert

aland@infmx.UUCP (Dr. Scump) (05/27/88)

The following response is not meant as a product plug, but Mr. Claeson
brought up a good point regarding NFS use, and I thought there might be
enough interest to warrant posting.

In article <221@pvab.UUCP>, robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) writes:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have some problems running C-ISAM (on a Sun 3) on a file system
> mounted remote from a server via NFS. The C-ISAM routines always
> responds with an error code that, after som R of TFM, tells me
> that Informix Corp. doesn't like NFS.

Not like NFS?  Sure we do!  We're good buddies now!  :-]

However, the current public releases of our products do not handle the
niceties of NFS completely, so its use is disabled.  Typically, you
will get C-ISAM error -125 if you try to use remote data, I believe.

Now for the good news: with the upcoming product releases (C-ISAM
release 3.10.03, Informix-SQL, ESQL/C, and ESQL/COBOL release 2.10.03,
Informix-4GL release 1.10.03, and I4GL Rapid Development System release
1.10.03), there will be standalone and network versions. The network
products come in two flavors: NetDBS (server) and NetStation
(clients).  The network versions will utilize TCP/IP network protocols
*including* NFS.  The Sun 3 ports should be among the first done;
call your distributor for more info and availability dates (my
*unofficial* guess is in about a month).

We have been using the network products in-house for quite a while;
I had almost forgotten they weren't "real" products yet...

> I haven't tried this with Informix-SQL or ESQL/C, but I assume
> the same problem exists there. Running C-ISAM and/or Informix
> on a local disk works, tough.

Indeed, the same situation exists with the backend.  The .03 release
of the backend allows access of remote data as long as the server has
the NetDBS product and is accessed via TCP/IP (or NFS, of course)
and the local machine has the NetSTation product.  You would just add
the remote pathname (e.g. //machine/pathname) to your DBPATH
environment variable for your local session.

I hope this info proves helpful.

--
 Alan S. Denney  |  Informix Software, Inc.  |  {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland
    CAUTION: Objects on terminal are closer than they appear...