[comp.databases] $199 Oracle Special PC version.

mark@intek01.UUCP (Mark McWiggins) (05/18/88)

I've seen some rather disturbing feedback on Oracle products here, but
no specific mention of this product.  Has anyone here tried it?  Does
it work?  Does it perform well?  Is the user interface flashy?

We're VARs, and I'm pretty jaundiced by now after looking at scads of
database products, but hope springs eternal.  Thanks in advance for any
feedback.
--

Mark McWiggins			UUCP:		uunet!intek01!mark
DISCLAIMER: I could be wrong.	INTERNET:	intek01!mark@uunet.uu.net

wew@naucse.UUCP (Bill Wilson) (05/18/88)

We have tried out Oracle on the PC and are not impressed.
The version we tried needed to be run on a machine with over a Meg
of memory,  I ran it on the AT that I use (IBM, 2 meg onboard) and
thoings did not work out well.  The installation failed a number
of times before taking and once it took, the test programs bombed.
We were not impressed to say the least!

--
Bill Wilson                          (Bitnet: ucc2wew@nauvm)
Northern AZ Univ

DMasterson@cup.portal.com (05/19/88)

In message <296@intek01.UUCP>, mark@intek01.UUCP writes:
>I've seen some rather disturbing feedback on Oracle products here, but
>no specific mention of this product.  Has anyone here tried it?  Does
>it work?  Does it perform well?  Is the user interface flashy?
>
>We're VARs, and I'm pretty jaundiced by now after looking at scads of
>database products, but hope springs eternal.  Thanks in advance for any
>feedback.

I tried Oracle on both an IBM-PC and a VAX recently with disappointing
results.  Don't get me wrong, the system works and provides all the database
capabilities that Oracle is (in)famous for.  The user interface, though,
leaves a lot to be desired (definite room for a VAR to work on).  I understand
that they will be releasing a new version of their Report Writer with a much
flashier interface (I played with their demo), but I haven't heard anything
about the rest of their system.  The areas that Oracle suffers most for in
either the PC or Vax version are:

1.  Documentation - the documents I worked with looked like they had been put
together by first year techies.  They had dozens of instances of unfinished
sentences, half complete paragraphs, two halves of two separate paragraphs
joined, circular references (sec. A says see sec. B which says see sec. A),
duplicate sections (right next to each other), and others I can't think of off
hand.

2.  System setup - Unlike the usual "load and go" methodology on a PC,
Oracle has a number of pitfalls that can really hurt unless your experienced
enough to know what you're doing.  Things like system setup and database
structure are not explained very well.  I had one Oracle rep. intimate to me
that this is the way they keep the Education department in business (if they
don't understand it, they'll come to us to explain it).  Oracle has lost a few
accounts because of this.

3.  User Interface - the main problem here is that Oracle does not take
advantage of the presentation capabilities of the system they are running on
(the new Report Writer changes this).  Also, the various components of the
system look like they were written by different people (we all know that
something this big is going to be written by different groups, but the casual
user shouldn't notice this in using it!).  You get the idea.

David Masterson
DMasterson@cup.portal.com

bobd@bloom.UUCP (Bob Donaldson) (05/19/88)

In article <296@intek01.UUCP>, mark@intek01.UUCP (Mark McWiggins) asks
for feedback on the $199 Oracle PC special.

We have it and have used it some.  It requires AT LEAST 1MEG of extra
memory configured in the ?extended/expanded? (I never can remember which
is which, but it is NOT the Lotus/Microsoft standard) mode.  It seems to
run very slowly on anything other than a tiny database, but that is also
a complaint from many other PC databases when you get into multiple
megabytes.

One note of caution, the fine print in the ad (backed up by a very obvious
on screen display at runtime) reminds you that it is a DEVELOPMENT LICENSE
ONLY - if you use the thing to actually store real data, you have to fork
over for the full license (@ $1200 if memory serves).

Bob Donaldson              ...!ut-emx!juniper!radian!bobd
Radian Corporation
PO Box 201088              (512) 454-4797
Austin, TX  78703

Views expressed are my own, not necessarily those of my employer.

kworrell@urbsdc.Urbana.Gould.COM (05/21/88)

I have the original Oracle 5.0, which does have an error riddled set
of manuals although they do explain most of what you need.

Setup:
	I thought the setup was reasonable.  Given that the system comes
	on 20 disks, their system was ok.  It does kinda suck to have to
	install this on a PS2 when the disks are 5-1/4".

Memory:
	There is a reason why they need extended memory.  The protected
	mode executive is just what it purports to be.  It runs totally
	in protected mode (buffers, code).  This leaves all the
	memory < 640KB for standard dos programs.  Try to run db3 on
	a 640KB machine with 500K of buffers.  This also lets you do
	other things while the database hangs around in memory.

Errors:
	I have seen some errors in the application tools/applications
	but haven't seen any (which I vividly remember) in the sqlplus
	part.  I always remind myself that I have the original version
	for the PCs.  I tend to ignore update requests.

Speed:
	Overall, the only thing I don't really like about the modules
	I have used (sqlplus, sqlforms, proc) is that it all seems a
	bit slow.  This can be fixed.  I have 2MB so maybe I need more
	buffers.

C Interface:
	I was suprised that they didn't have a version of C-codable
	triggers which worked with MSC (just lattice).  All the other
	tools seem to work with MSC.  I am told this is alleviated with
	the release which is supposed to be coming out sometime (or
	maybe it just came out).

Price:
	Remember that the $199 price is for developers only.  If you
	want to use this to do actual db stuff (other than development)
	you either have to upgrade or buy the 'real' version at the
	start.

Kurt J. Worrell	                 USEnet1:    ihnp4!uiucuxc!ccvaxa!kworrell
Gould CSD-Urbana                 ARPAnet:    kworrell@gswd-vms.arpa
1101 E. University               !ARPAnet1:  kworrell@Gould.COM
Urbana, IL 61801                 !ARPAnet2:  kworrell@gswd-vms.Gould.COM
**** Standard Disclaimer ***     BELLnet:    (217) 384-8500, x740

sys_ms@bmc1.uu.se (05/25/88)

In article <715@naucse.UUCP>, wew@naucse.UUCP (Bill Wilson) writes:

> We have tried out Oracle on the PC and are not impressed.
> The version we tried needed to be run on a machine with over a Meg
> of memory,  I ran it on the AT that I use (IBM, 2 meg onboard) and

	And when we are discussing PC SQL products. Have anyone seen
	SYBASE. A SQL database that Apple say is implemented for
	the Macintosh and for VAX.

	We are looking for something to start learning SQL on. It should
	have a network interface to a SQL server on VAX.

			Mats

thad@cup.portal.com (06/01/88)

one quick comment re: SYBASE:

Nice product, but you BETTER have lots of memory on your VAX; it locks up
4MB exclusively.