[comp.databases] Results of Informix-TURBO query

aland@infmx.UUCP (Dr. Scump) (06/10/88)

In article <711@vsi.UUCP>, friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
> Hiho,
>
> Note for the Informix trivia buff: My sources tell me that
> Informix-TURBO was actually developed by Plexus

Uh, right.  Sure surprised the heck out of us.  We didn't even have
a PORT for a Plexus machine before last December.

Was one of your "sources" named Joe Isuzu, by any chance?  Did you
buy any real estate from these guys?  :-]

> Informix-TURBO was actually developed by Plexus -- maybe it's OK
> after all :-).

Wow, somebody else is trying to take credit for Informix-TURBO.
Maybe it *is* O.K. after all; would they try to take credit
for a *bad* product?

> Steve Friedl    V-Systems, Inc. (714) 545-6442      3B2-kind-of-guy
                                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   TURBO runs even better on a *real* machine :-]
   (Just kidding, AT&T)

> friedl@vsi.com     {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl    attmail!vsi!friedl

(Disclaimer: I speak for myself, not the company.  Besides, everybody
             else here is too busy rolling on the floor, laughing).

--
 Alan S. Denney  |  Informix Software, Inc.  |  {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland
 Disclaimer: These opinions are mine alone.  If I am caught or killed,

friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) (06/13/88)

In article <235@infmx.UUCP>, aland@infmx.UUCP (Dr. Scump) responds:

> Uh, right.  Sure surprised the heck out of us.  We didn't even have
> a PORT for a Plexus machine before last December.

Lucky for me I hedged my statement.  I have a friend at Plexus
who (I thought) had told me that they had done Turbo under
contract with Ifx Corp.  I just spoke with him and he said that
while Informix indeed did TURBO themselves, Plexus did the
network version that presumably will be available from Informix
in the future.  He mentioned that Plexus got multi-million $ for
this, and they recently had to "give them everything we did".
I've seen Plexus' XDP stuff and it is very impressive.

Disclaimer: my friend is not in the database group at Plexus and
said he is not close to those that are.  In any case, my initial
posting was incorrect, and for that I apologize.

Flames from Informix to friedl@vsi.com, I'll summarize and post :-)

--
Steve Friedl    V-Systems, Inc. (714) 545-6442      3B2-kind-of-guy
friedl@vsi.com     {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl    attmail!vsi!friedl

Nancy Reagan on the Mac-II architecture: "Just say Nu"