[comp.databases] Support by email

jw@pan.UUCP (Jamie Watson) (06/09/88)

Has anyone ever had any luck getting support issues and questions handled by
email from any of the major Unix database companies?  We are currently using
Informix, and they have a strict rule that they will not provide telephone
support to European customers.  They offer only fax or telex service.  Fine,
except I work at home, and I have neither a fax nor telex machine here.
After one attempt to get some (simple) questions answered, I suddenly got
some email from someone at Informix, but since then I have heard nothing.

We are certainly not unconditionally determined to use Informix, and for us
support is a major issue.  If one of the other database companies has found
out that email facilities of some sort are included with every Unix machine,
and is willing to use them, we would definitely consider changing.

jw

friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) (06/13/88)

In article <406@pan.UUCP>, jw@pan.UUCP (Jamie Watson) writes:

> Has anyone ever had any luck getting support issues and questions handled by
> email from any of the major Unix database companies? We are currently
> using Informix, and they have a strict rule that they will not provide
> telephone support to European customers.  They offer only fax or
> telex service.

Isn't *that* helpful?

(* grant flame permission to friedl; *)

Support from Informix?  We have asked if they provide some kind of
email support and they said absolutely not "for security reasons".
One would think a company as large as Informix could find a way to
do this *if* they wanted to be helpful.

Informix Corp. is a classic example of a company who feels their
customers are beneath them.  If their *products* weren't so good
we would go elsewhere.

(* revoke flame permission from friedl; *)

Whew.  That feels much better.  Thank you.

--
Steve Friedl    V-Systems, Inc. (714) 545-6442      3B2-kind-of-guy
friedl@vsi.com     {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl    attmail!vsi!friedl

Nancy Reagan on ptr args with a prototype in scope: "Just say NULL"

bestwick@rtech.UUCP ( RTI UK) (06/15/88)

In article <406@pan.UUCP>, jw@pan.UUCP (Jamie Watson) writes:

> Has anyone ever had any luck getting support issues and questions handled by
> email from any of the major Unix database companies? We are currently
> using Informix, and they have a strict rule that they will not provide
> telephone support to European customers.  They offer only fax or
> telex service.

INGRES is fully supported by Relational Technology offices in London, Paris,
Frankfurt, and other cities.  We offer the same support in Europe as we do in
the US - including telephone support, consultancy, and training.  We also
port INGRES to European machines at our technical centre in London.

I work in the European INGRES support organisation, so I'm probably biased -
but I think we give a good service.

--
John Bestwick,

Relational Technology International, London, England.
{amdahl,mtxinu,sun}!rtech!bestwick			 bestwick@rtech.uucp

aland@infmx.UUCP (Dr. Scump) (06/17/88)

In article <406@pan.UUCP>, jw@pan.UUCP (Jamie Watson) writes:

> Has anyone ever had any luck getting support issues and questions handled by
> email from any of the major Unix database companies?  We are currently using
> Informix, and they have a strict rule that they will not provide telephone
> support to European customers.  They offer only fax or telex service.  Fine,
>
> jw

The only limitation we had on foreign telephone support was on *outgoing*
calls - we do receive foreign calls (in fact, give them priority).  Return
communication, if necessary, is normally by Fax or Telex only, however.
External email was set up only this year, and the establishment of an
email destination for support communication is in the works.

For European customers, however, this is usually unnecessary.  We now have
support offices in London and Munich.  The London office handles England,
Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Ireland, and Sweden; the Munich office handles
W. Germany, Italy, Spain, and *Switzerland*.  Since these offices took
over local support a month ago, customers who have sent us (in the U.S.)
questions have been referred to the appropriate European office for
future questions (or should have been :-]).

The addresses for Informix European support:

     London                                Munich
     ------                                ------

    Informix Software Ltd.               Informix GmbH
    Lenexa House                         Rosenkavalierplatz 14
    Aspen Way                            D-8000 Munich
    Plane Tree Crescent                  West Germany
    Feltham, Middlesex
    TW13 7AQ
    England

Phone: (+44) 01-890-8641          Phone: (+49) 89-922030
Fax  : (+44) 01-890-7241          Fax  : (+49) 89-9102173
Telex: (851) 265871               Telex: (841) 529339

--
 Alan S. Denney  |  Informix Software, Inc.  |  {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland
 Disclaimer: These opinions are mine alone.  If I am caught or killed,

jw@pan.UUCP (Jamie Watson) (06/23/88)

In article <249@infmx.UUCP> aland@infmx.UUCP (Dr. Scump) writes:

>The only limitation we had on foreign telephone support was on *outgoing*
>calls - we do receive foreign calls (in fact, give them priority).

Sorry, but as someone sitting in Europe who has tried this, I can tell you
for certain that this is not true.  The first time I tried to call, I was
told, in no uncertain terms, that while someone would talk to me *this*
time, non-U.S. sites were not authorized for telephone support, and I
should not call again.  Strictly fax and telex.

>External email was set up only this year, and the establishment of an
>email destination for support communication is in the works.

Forgive me, but based on my experience in software support (~5 years), I
have to say that "setting up" an email destination for support does not
take a significant effort.  In addition, it yields huge benefits to both
parties; the customer is happy because bug reports can be made quickly
and easily, and the support people are happy because this takes a lot of
the pressure off - your phone isn't ringing off the hook all day long,
and you don't have irate customers yelling in your ear constantly.  In
addition, the support person has a real opportunity to *research* a
problem before giving a response, which is often not possible when the
customer is holding on the phone line.

>For European customers, however, this is usually unnecessary.

Don't I wish...

>the Munich office handles
>W. Germany, Italy, Spain, and *Switzerland*.  Since these offices took
>over local support a month ago, customers who have sent us (in the U.S.)
>questions have been referred to the appropriate European office for
>future questions (or should have been :-]).

Sigh.  I'm sure the intentions are good here (at least, I hope they are),
but I'm afraid this just won't cut it.

- We buy our software in the U.S., through a U.S. subsidiary, because we
  got tired of the price-gouging going on in Europe.  Informix is not the
  only company doing this, by far; they are quite typical of what is going
  on.  The European end user price of Informix products ranges from 1.8 to
  2 times the U.S. end user price - and in general the manuals are not
  included, while they are in the U.S.!  Now, as we refuse to pay double
  the price for the "privelidge" of buying in Europe, how anxious do you
  think the European office is going to be to give us support?

- The "technical" people who staff such operations over here are uniformly
  dismal.  I know this is prejuging in the extreme; I'm sorry, but I have
  a business to run.  I can't afford to invest my time, and that of my
  programming staff, in teaching someone's support staff about their own
  product.  I've done it too many times already.

I say again, all I am asking for is an email address, at the main office
of a database supplier, to which I can send bug reports and expect to get
acknowledgement in a few days, and intelligent response within a week or
so.  I don't care what company it is - as far as I am concerned, the top
four of five Unix database companies are essentially indistinguishable
anyway.

jw

Jamie Watson
Adasoft AG
Solothurn, Switzerland
Tel: +41 031/54.35.70

kbc@mdbs.UUCP (Kevin Castleberry) (06/26/88)

Technical Support for mdbs products:
KMAN (a relational db environment),
GURU (an expert system development environment),
MDBS III (a post-relational high performance dbs)
(Our products run in VMS, UNIX, OS/2 and MSDOS.)

is available by emailing to:	support@mdbs.uucp
		or
	{rutgers,ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax}!pur-ee!mdbs!support

	The mdbs BBS can be reached at: (317) 447-6685
	300/1200/2400 baud, 8 bits, 1 stop bit, no parity

Kevin Castleberry (kbc)
Director of Customer Services

Micro Data Base Systems Inc.
P.O. Box 248