[comp.databases] SQL and Macintosh

hs@utacs.UTA.FI (Harri Siirtola) (06/28/88)

Does there exist an SQL-based DBMS for the Macintosh? Or anything
that comes close? Any comments would be appreciated.

Please answer by e-mail, I will post summary if wanted.

Harri

---
Harri Siirtola             {seismo,mcvax}!enea!tut!utacs!hs or hs@utacs (uucp)
Univ. of Tampere         hs@utacs.uta.fi or hsiirtola@opmvax.kpo.fi (Internet)
Dept. of Computer Science                     OPMVAX::HSIIRTOLA (BITNET, EARN)
P.O. Box 607, SF-33101 Tampere, Finland         Tel. +358-31-156066 (GMT+2:00)

geller@bnrmtv.UUCP (Phil Geller) (07/06/88)

In article <545@utacs.UTA.FI>, hs@utacs.UTA.FI (Harri Siirtola) writes:

> Does there exist an SQL-based DBMS for the Macintosh? Or anything
> that comes close? Any comments would be appreciated.
>
> Please answer by e-mail, I will post summary if wanted.
>
> Harri
>
> ---
> Harri Siirtola             {seismo,mcvax}!enea!tut!utacs!hs or hs@utacs (uucp)
> Univ. of Tampere         hs@utacs.uta.fi or hsiirtola@opmvax.kpo.fi (Internet)
> Dept. of Computer Science                     OPMVAX::HSIIRTOLA (BITNET, EARN)

I can tell you what I have found after a couple of weeks of
investigation.  . Products are coming, but there is a very limited
selection at the moment.

A list of specific products follows.  Please keep in mind that I have
not tried any of these products.  My information comes reviews or
vendor information.

	o RAIMA Corp. (Bellevue, WA. USA) makes a DBMS called
	  db_VISTA.  It has a front-end called db_QUERY which
	  is a SQL interface.  The limitations are that it is
	  a network, not relational, database model;  the SQL
	  language is for retrieval only - update, insert, and
	  retrieval are not allowed (but are coming in a year (maybe);
	  and it is a c language interface intended for c developers
	  who want to construct their own application and user interface.
	o Alisa Systems, Inc. (Pasadena, CA. USA) has a SQL database
	  link called SequelLink.  It allows a Macintosh to talk
	  to a VAX/VMS host which has a SQL DBMS.  The Mac side
	  supports HyperCard and 4th Dimension as a front-end to
	  the VAX/VMS DBMS.

	o Omnis 3 Plus version 3.3 (Blyth Software), due out in August,
	  is supposed to support SQL. I don't have any specifics.

	o Oracle has has an A/UX system in beta trial.

I'd be very interested in getting a summary of your responses.

Phil Geller
Voice:  (415) 940-2376
UUCP:   ...{hplabs | amdahl | ames}!bnrmtv!geller
mail:   BNR, P.O. Box 7277, Mountain View, CA 94039-7277

hughes@jif.berkeley.edu (eric hughes) (07/07/88)

In article <3626@bnrmtv.UUCP> geller@bnrmtv.UUCP (Phil Geller) writes:

>Products are coming, but there is a very limited
>selection at the moment.
>
>	o RAIMA Corp. (Bellevue, WA. USA) makes a DBMS called
>	  db_VISTA.  It has a front-end called db_QUERY which
>	  is a SQL interface.  The limitations are that it is
>	  a network, not relational, database model;  the SQL
>	  language is for retrieval only - update, insert, and
>	  retrieval are not allowed (but are coming in a year (maybe);
>	  and it is a c language interface intended for c developers
>	  who want to construct their own application and user interface.

I have used db_Query, and it has (to my mind) a lot of limitations.

First, RAIMA advertises the product as "SQL BASED QUERY".  It is not a subset
of SQL per se, although the syntax is reminiscent of it.  It adds a
statement "relation" which specifies the explicit order in which the buffers
should be filled.  Fields are then "select"ed from that relation.  Unless
the new release changes it, joins are only allowed on set links and indexed
fields. (I upgraded to the new version of db_Vista, but not to db_Query)
To my knowledge, no query optimization is done.

Make of all these scattered thoughts what you will.

Eric Hughes
hughes@math.berkeley.edu