[comp.databases] LOTUS WKS Format

neil@swdev.Waterloo.NCR.COM (Neil A. Law) (06/29/88)

    We are creating an application that takes data records captured from
    a remote terminal and converts this data into a format readable by
    a data base or spread sheet program.  Ideally we would like to provide
    one of two formats: ASCII and LOTUS 1-2-3.

    The ASCII format is easy enough to create and provide a method for the
    user to "program" the actual output format.  The LOTUS format is a little
    tougher.  So far I have been unable to track down the format of a LOTUS
    WKS file.

    I would appreciate if some kind soul could email me a definition of a
    WKS file or how I might obtain a definition (e.g. reference books, etc).

    Any information that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

---- Neil ----                                    N.Law@Waterloo.NCR.COM
                 {sdcsvax,cbosgd,pyramid}!ncr-sd!ncrlnk!ncrwat!swdev!neil

jbrown@jplpub1.jpl.nasa.gov (Jordan Brown) (06/30/88)

In article <322@swdev.Waterloo.NCR.COM> neil@swdev.Waterloo.NCR.COM (Neil A. Law) writes:
>    I would appreciate if some kind soul could email me a definition of a
>    WKS file or how I might obtain a definition (e.g. reference books, etc).

File Formats for Popular PC Software, Jeff Walden, Wiley Press, $24.95.
Op-Amp Books in Hollywood has it, and they take phone orders.  213-464-4322.

I haven't really used this book, and have never looked at the 123 section,
but it lists 123 on the cover, so I assume it has *some* info...

lyndon@ncc.Nexus.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) (07/01/88)

In article <7157@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> jbrown@jplpub1.UUCP (Jordan Brown) writes:

>File Formats for Popular PC Software, Jeff Walden, Wiley Press, $24.95.
>Op-Amp Books in Hollywood has it, and they take phone orders.  213-464-4322.
>
>I haven't really used this book, and have never looked at the 123 section,
>but it lists 123 on the cover, so I assume it has *some* info...

It's all there. This book is a *must* for anyone dealing with DOS applications
like 123, Wordstar, Dbase, etc.
--
{alberta,pyramid,uunet}!ncc!lyndon  lyndon@Nexus.CA

terry@wsccs.UUCP (Every system needs one) (07/16/88)

In article <322@swdev.Waterloo.NCR.COM> neil@swdev.Waterloo.NCR.COM (Neil A. Law) writes:
>    I would appreciate if some kind soul could email me a definition of a
>    WKS file or how I might obtain a definition (e.g. reference books, etc).

Lotus sells one entitled "Lotus File Format", or something like it, to
software developers.  I have it, but not in front of me.  It covers token
formats for both Lotus 1-2-3 and Symphony.

| Terry Lambert           UUCP: ...{ decvax, ihnp4 } ...utah-cs!century!terry |
| @ Century Software        OR: ...utah-cs!uplherc!sp7040!obie!wsccs!terry    |
| SLC, Utah                                                                   |
|                   These opinions are not my companies, but if you find them |
|                   useful, send a $20.00 donation to Brisbane Australia...   |
| 'Signatures; it's not how long you make them, it's how you make them long!' |