[comp.databases] Benchmark Discussions

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (07/21/88)

As a general observation on the recent intense discussions on
benchmarking, I suspect that many of us don't get involved in
benchmarking, the database software we use was generally
chosen for other reasons and in any case we are stuck with
what we've got. In my case, "stuck" is the right word. I won't
mention the name of the junk we're forced to use, but it
begins with an I and ends with 5.0; it's the worst piece of
commercial software I've ever used and extremely expensive to
operate to boot (no pun intended). Admittedly, I haven't used
any of its competitors. Personally, I've downloaded as much of my
database as I can from a Vax 8650 into a Mac II to save huge
quantities of money and time.

Maybe a comp.databases.benchmark is in order so that this
group can focus more on the hows and whys of databases
and the hype war can have its own place.

Steve Goldfield

jfjr@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Jerome Freedman) (07/23/88)

In article <12378@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) writes:
>As a general observation on the recent intense discussions on
>benchmarking, I suspect that many of us don't get involved in
>benchmarking, the database software we use was generally
>chosen for other reasons

  After a micro career change I am getting involved in database
  work and I am VERY interested in benchmarking. I am sorry
  I missed the last discussions.

>what we've got. In my case, "stuck" is the right word. I won't
>mention the name of the junk we're forced to use, but it
>begins with an I and ends with 5.0; it's the worst piece of
>commercial software I've ever used and extremely expensive to
>operate to boot (no pun intended).

  I tend to agree - the I word is yesterdays technology today
  the SunIword product doesn't even fully support the sun console
  (I don't mean suntools I mean the bare console)

>Maybe a comp.databases.benchmark is in order so that this
>group can focus more on the hows and whys of databases
>and the hype war can have its own place.
>
>Steve Goldfield

   I'd love too

Jerry Freedman, Jr       "Why did
jfjr@mitre-bedford.arpa      Unix come from the east?"