[comp.databases] Has anybody ever heard of a database package called QRS?

showard@ucqais.uc.edu (Steve Howard) (07/27/88)

[ posting this for a friend... ]

Has anybody heard of a database package called QRS?  Or QRS-file?
Or something like that...  It runs on an AT and may have been made by IBM.
(Obviously, we don't know anything about this package).

It is being given out with Intecom/IBX PBXs.  It is used to manipulate
databases that are uploaded to Intecoms mainframe.  We would like to
manipulate the data, but we were only given the package with "canned"
procedures (and no manuals).  We would like to do things to the database
that the pretty little procedures won't do :-(

If anybody has information regarding this product, could you please forward
it to me.  Thank You.

--
Steve Howard      Univ of Cincinnati  College of Business Administration
(showard@uccba.uc.edu)   UUCP:  {pyramid,decuac,mit-eddie}!uccba!showard

greg@mdbs.UUCP (Greg Feldman) (07/29/88)

In article <1480@ucqais.uc.edu> showard@ucqais.uc.edu (Steve Howard) writes:
>[ posting this for a friend... ]
>
>Has anybody heard of a database package called QRS?  Or QRS-file?

MDBS, Inc. makes QRS, a Query Retrieval System.  It is actually
one of many modules that accompany the core MDBS III database.
(We REALLY like acronyms here, QRS, RTL, IDML, PVRU, DMU, DBRS, are
 all additional components! :-))  QRS is used for database
 queries, and may be used for data upload.

>It is being given out with Intecom/IBX PBXs.  It is used to manipulate
>databases that are uploaded to Intecoms mainframe.  We would like to

Intecom is one of our clients, they probably developed the system you
have including the "canned" stuff.

>manipulate the data, but we were only given the package with "canned"
>procedures (and no manuals).  We would like to do things to the database
>that the pretty little procedures won't do :-(

Understandable.  First you need to be sure Intecom has made available
the database schema (they can hide it from folks like you).  From the
QRS prompt try:

-->display r

if they made their schema public, you can see the records in your data
base.  You may then contact them or us for QRS manuals and you'll be on
your way!

if you get a message like "Data dictionary not accessible", that means
they have hidden the data dictionary from public viewing.  This ensures
the work they put into schema design remains proprietary, and won't be
copied.  You'll have to contact Intecom to get the schema layout in
this case before the QRS manuals will do you much good.

Feel free to call me directly if you have any additional questions.

(PS, IBM or somebody may also have a package called QRS, if so
 please notify us as there may be a trademark collision.  QRS has been
 around since 1981. )

Technical Support for mdbs products:
KMAN (a relational db environment),
GURU (an expert system development environment),
MDBS III (a post-relational high performance dbs)
(Our products run in VMS, UNIX, OS/2 and MSDOS.)

is available by emailing to:	support@mdbs.uucp
		or
	{rutgers,ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax}!pur-ee!mdbs!support

	The mdbs BBS can be reached at: (317) 447-6685
	300/1200/2400 baud, 8 bits, 1 stop bit, no parity

Greg Feldman (greg)
Technical Services Consultant

Micro Data Base Systems Inc.
P.O. Box 248