[comp.databases] ORACLE on the cheap... questions

tbetz@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Betz) (06/25/88)

Just today received ORACLE's offer of ORACLE-PC for $199, and ORACLE-*NIX
for $399.00, both including their SQL*Forms, Plus, Report, Calc, and Pro*C
Pre-Compiler.

This is a pretty heavy mark-down, and makes me suspicious... but also piques
my interest.  It's an obvious grab for market share, but I want to inquire:
does Oracle support such things as transaction logs, roll-back and roll-forward,
the features that Zim and Progress, among others, offer?

Is it strictly an SQL, or does it have some of the richness of functions
available with Progress, and to a greater extent, with Zim?

Tom Betz
ZCNY                               {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!tbetz
Yonkers, NY, USA 10701-2509
"Opinions? What opinions? These are >facts<!!"

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (07/03/88)

As quoted from <5165@dasys1.UUCP> by tbetz@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Betz):
+---------------
| Just today received ORACLE's offer of ORACLE-PC for $199, and ORACLE-*NIX
| for $399.00, both including their SQL*Forms, Plus, Report, Calc, and Pro*C
| Pre-Compiler.
|
| This is a pretty heavy mark-down, and makes me suspicious... but also piques
| my interest.  It's an obvious grab for market share, but I want to inquire:
| does Oracle support such things as transaction logs, roll-back and roll-forward,
| the features that Zim and Progress, among others, offer?
|
| Is it strictly an SQL, or does it have some of the richness of functions
| available with Progress, and to a greater extent, with Zim?
+---------------

The only restriction in the $199/$399 version is in the license:  you can
only use it for development, to use it as a "live" system you have to fork
over the rest of the full price.  --But, judging from how many people pay
for "shareware" programs, I daresay that in practice people use it as if
they had a full license anyway.  (I do *not* advocate doing so, I'm merely
making an observation.)

Oracle has rollback, rollforward, and transaction logs.  The version I used
(5.1) wasn't too hot on the speed front (watch, however, for Turbo Oracle)
and SQL*Forms and SQL*Report are miserable compared to tools designed for
Unix (they both act like what they are:  designed for VMS -- and they are
therefore lacking in flexibility Unix types take for granted, such as
support for multiple terminals/printers).

The SQL supports quite a few more functions than (say) Informix or Unify,
but not as many as Progress.  Nor can new functions be linked into SQL.
(Oracle, if you're listening, this would be a big help!!!  So would (a)
making multiple terminals w/graphics in SQL*Forms work and (b) releasing
that new SQL*ReportWriter for more than just VMS.)
--
Brandon S. Allbery, uunet!marque!ncoast!allbery			DELPHI: ALLBERY
	    For comp.sources.misc send mail to ncoast!sources-misc

rbradbur@oracle.UUCP (Robert Bradbury) (07/09/88)

In article <8208@ncoast.UUCP>, allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:

> The only restriction in the $199/$399 version is in the license:  you can
> only use it for development, to use it as a "live" system you have to fork
> over the rest of the full price.  --But, judging from how many people pay
> for "shareware" programs, I daresay that in practice people use it as if
> they had a full license anyway.  (I do *not* advocate doing so, I'm merely
> making an observation.)

The $199/$399 customers are also not entitled to upgrades.  Soooo when
version 6 comes out they will have to pay if they want the latest and greatest.

> Oracle has rollback, rollforward, and transaction logs.  The version I used
> (5.1) wasn't too hot on the speed front (watch, however, for Turbo Oracle)
> and SQL*Forms and SQL*Report are miserable compared to tools designed for
> Unix (they both act like what they are:  designed for VMS -- and they are
> therefore lacking in flexibility Unix types take for granted, such as
> support for multiple terminals/printers).

I *hate* statements like "wasn't too hot on the speed front".  Exactly
*what* are you doing that gives you that impression?  We beat Informix
and Ingres in a good percentage of the DeWitt benchmarks on a number of
machines.  The functionality of a full-function RDBMS (transaction logs,
security, rollback, roll-forward, read-consistancy, etc.) imposes a
certian amount of overhead.  You cannot compare the performance of
database systems which have those features with those that do not.

SQL*Report is a very old program and is being replaced with a new report
writer which is as good as anything currently on the market.  SQL*Forms
was *NOT* designed for VMS or UNIX.  It was designed to be portable across
a variety of operating systems (VM,MVS,AOS,VMS,UNIX,DOS,AEGIS,etc.) and
to do that we have our own terminal definitions.  (You can support any
type of terminal you are willing to provide a terminal defninition for -
there is even a utility on UNIX systems to turn termcap definitions into
Oracle terminal definitions.)  Can I ask how many menuing systems based
on termcap you have running under VM, MVS and DOS?  :-)

> The SQL supports quite a few more functions than (say) Informix or Unify,
> but not as many as Progress.  Nor can new functions be linked into SQL.

Well, you in fact can add functions to SQL if you know what tables to modify
and can relink the kernel.  We have customers who are running with special
functions.  The problem with this is that it requires shipping an Oracle
link kit (I assume you have megabytes of disk space to spare :-)) and
it results in a support nightmare ("oh, you added these functions and your
database is now corrupted...  hmmm, you don't think it could be the functions
you added do you?")

> (Oracle, if you're listening, this would be a big help!!!  So would (a)
> making multiple terminals w/graphics in SQL*Forms work and (b) releasing
> that new SQL*ReportWriter for more than just VMS.)

We do listen, you have to realize though that the marketplace we are trying
to serve is not just the UNIX marketplace.  SQL*FORMS will work with
multiple terminal types if you provide the terminal description.
The UNIX group is actively working on shrinking the time between VMS
announcement and general UNIX availabiliy.  The goal for the end of
the year is a 45 day lag on primary UNIX ports and no more than a 90
day lag for secondary UNIX ports.  I would expect your sales person
could do some investigation and come up with an availability date
for SQL*ReportWriter on UNIX.

--
Robert Bradbury
Oracle Corporation

davek@rtech.rtech.com (Dave Kellogg) (07/13/88)

In article <178@turbo.oracle.UUCP> rbradbur@oracle.UUCP (Robert Bradbury) writes

>I *hate* statements like "wasn't too hot on the speed front".  Exactly
>*what* are you doing that gives you that impression?  We beat Informix
>and Ingres in a good percentage of the DeWitt benchmarks on a number of
>machines.

I have several comments on Robert's recent posting, the least important
of which is that what he says above is simply not objectively true.

I have neither seen a published report nor participated in any formal
benchmark that would confirm his claim of DeWitt superiority. In fact,
I've never participated in any informal benchmark that would confirm his
claim, either.

More important, however, are the two brief notes below.

A Note on Standards
-------------------

Just as the TP1 "standard" is elusive, so is the "DeWitt" (or Wisconsin)
benchmark.  In the case of TP1, vendors select whatever pieces of the well-
defined DebitCredit benchmark that suit them, and call that TP1.  In the case
of DeWitt, vendors tend to select whatever subset of queries of the DeWitt
test that suits them, and call that the "DeWitt" benchmark.

There are two points which should be noted here.  First, I am not suggesting
that Robert's firm has used a DeWitt subset, as I am not familliar with their
tests.  Second, and more important, I am neither suggesting nor do I believe
that there is anything inheritantly wrong with DeWitt subsets or TP1 tests
(which are essentially DebitCredit subsets).

DebitCredit is a tough benchmark which tests a system for a large number of
factors that are important in Online Transaction Processing.  TP1 tests, on
the other hand, generally test only for basic transaction throughput against
fairly small databases.  However, this is not a question of good vs. evil
as long as one *recognizes* the differences between the tests and is not
mislead into mistaking a test for its distant cousin.  The same argument
holds true for DeWitt subset "X" vs. DeWitt subset "Y".

Different benchmarks test different things, and in general, those different
things bear little resemblance to any user's actual reality.  Bearing this
in mind could prove quite useful, as I expect the coming months to bring a
barrage of numbers from all the various DBMS vendors.

For further information on the "DeWitt" benchmark, see the paper entitled
"Benchmarking DBMS Systems, A Systematic Approach" by Dr. David DeWitt and
(I believe now, Dr.) Dina Bitton of the University of Wisconsin.

I will investigate the copyright on this document and see if I am able to
distribute copies to interested parties.  Please send e-mail to me and I'll
let you if/when I can send you one.

A Note On "The Net"
-------------------

I have always enjoyed comp.databases as an open, unpolluted forum for both
users of commercial database products and any persons interested in DBMS
systems.  From time to time users may express displeasure with a given system
(no major vendor has failed to be victimized in the last year or so), and
the vendors have either remained silent, offered explanations, or posted re-
markably unbiased postings on the technical issues regarding their products.
I might add also, that I have always enjoyed Robert's postings for this
same candor.

This "WE beat vendor X" type quote, however, disturbs me.  If this continues,
and becomes standard operating procedure for this newsgroup, it could easily
mean that comp.databases will degenerate into nothing more than a forum for
vendor cross-fire.  This degeneration is not unfeasible given that companies
like Relational Technology, Informix, and Oracle employ literally thousands of
people, and each could easily place a designated "net monitor" to fire back
accusations at the other vendors.

A little inter-vendor "teasing" is probably inevitable, but that's where
I think it should stop.  Cluttering the net with "WE beat so-and-so" will
neither reward the readers of this group, nor, in actualitly, any given
DBMS vendor.

David Kellogg

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------

gupta@cullsj.UUCP (Yogesh Gupta) (07/14/88)

In article <2316@rtech.rtech.com>, davek@rtech.rtech.com (Dave Kellogg) writes:

> For further information on the "DeWitt" benchmark, see the paper entitled
> "Benchmarking DBMS Systems, A Systematic Approach" by Dr. David DeWitt and
> (I believe now, Dr.) Dina Bitton of the University of Wisconsin.

	Benchmarking DBMS Systems, A Systematic Approach
				by
	    Dr. Dave DeWitt, Univ. of Wisconsin
	    Dr. Dina Bitton, currently at Cornell Univ.
	    Dr. Carolyn Turbyfill, currently at Sun Microsystems

Just setting the record straight.
--
Yogesh Gupta                    | If you think my company will let me
Cullinet Software, Inc.         | speak for them, you must be joking.

pavlov@hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) (07/14/88)

In article <178@turbo.oracle.UUCP>, rbradbur@oracle.UUCP (Robert Bradbury) writes (in response to another article):

> I *hate* statements like "wasn't too hot on the speed front".  Exactly
> *what* are you doing that gives you that impression?  We beat Informix
> and Ingres in a good percentage of the DeWitt benchmarks on a number of
> machines.

  A while ago I attempted to arrange a set of cooperative benchmark runs
  with other sites running other dbms's.  The two Oracle sites I talked to
  claimed that their license agreements forbade publication of benchmark
  results.  Don't know if this is completely true, but that is what I was
  told.

  The only independent comparison benchmark (Ingres, Informix, and Oracle)
  was a rather extensive one performed by a Palmer & Associates, Inc.
  (Duluth, Ga).  This was performed on an IBM AT and involved apx. 130 sep-
  arate query or update processes.  Several lines from the "executive sum-
  mary" of the report:

   "In general (using a geometric mean of normalized data approach) Ingres
    was from 1.63 to 2.86 times faster than Informix, and Ingres was from
    10.56 to 29.00 times faster than Oracle."

   "Oracle was clearly outdistanced by both Ingres and Informix with 5 first
    place, 40 second place and 65 third place finishes." (in retrievals)
   "Oracle won 4 of 20 update record queries."

    - etc.

  This is not to say that this is the definitive word on these dbms's. But I
  have to give it more credence than the "results" that have come from the
  individual vendors themselves.

> SQL*Report is a very old program and is being replaced with a new report
> writer which is as good as anything currently on the market.

  The glossies and demo disk that Oracle sent me show that the new report
  writer is, indeed, a vast improvement over the old (comparable to the
  difference between a Model T Ford and a Taurus).  It is also an extra-
  cost option.

> SQL*Forms
> was *NOT* designed for VMS or UNIX.  It was designed to be portable across
> a variety of operating systems (VM,MVS,AOS,VMS,UNIX,DOS,AEGIS,etc.) and
> to do that we have our own terminal definitions.  (You can support any
> type of terminal you are willing to provide a terminal defninition for -
> there is even a utility on UNIX systems to turn termcap definitions into
> Oracle terminal definitions.)  Can I ask how many menuing systems based
> on termcap you have running under VM, MVS and DOS?  :-)

  This is also true of other multi-operating system software, including other
  dbms's.  Some, Like Ingres, though, use the termcap syntax for this purpose,
  regardless of which operating system the product is running under.

> The UNIX group is actively working on shrinking the time between VMS
> announcement and general UNIX availabiliy.  The goal for the end of
> the year is a 45 day lag on primary UNIX ports and no more than a 90
> day lag for secondary UNIX ports.

  Maybe the same rigorous schedule could be adopted for new Oracle product
  announcements ..... :-) :-)

   greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny

DMasterson@cup.portal.com (07/15/88)

In message <2316@rtech.rtech.COM>, davek@rtech.rtech.COM writes:
>A Note on Standards
>-------------------
>[much deleted on "hard-to-follow" benchmark standards]
Perhaps its time that the various DBMS vendors used one of the yearly
symposiums on DBMSs to sit down and agree on an understandable benchmark that
everyone can handle and that has some meaning (you don't have to test
everything about a DBMS for the benchmark to have meaning).  Perhaps this test
could be broken up into subparts (user interface, 4GL processing, SQL
integrity vs. ANSI, relational capabilities vs. Codds rules, distributed
capabilities vs. Date's rules, performance per query type, thru-put, etc.)

>A Note On "The Net"
>-------------------
>[much deleted on Net and comp.databases etiquette]
True.  The rule for this area should be "vendor - defend thyself, but don't
pick on the other guy"!

>David Kellogg
>
>+--------------------------------------------------------------------------
>| Relational Technology (INGRES) New York City
>| (212) 952-1400 	...!ucbvax!mtxinu!rtech!davek
>|
>| The above opinions are merely my own and should not be
>| construed as any official statement of Relational Technology
>+--------------------------------------------------------------------------

David Masterson				 ^-^
DMasterson@cup.portal.com		(@v@)
(The opinions above are not		 \_/
 necessarily those of this station)	=^=^=

greggy@infmx.UUCP (greg yachuk) (07/16/88)

In article <590@hscfvax.harvard.edu>, pavlov@hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) writes:
>   A while ago I attempted to arrange a set of cooperative benchmark runs
>   with other sites running other dbms's.  The two Oracle sites I talked to
>   claimed that their license agreements forbade publication of benchmark
>   results.  Don't know if this is completely true, but that is what I was
>   told.

This is indeed true.  We (here at Informix) were unable to publish our
benchmarks versus Oracle because of this very license agreement.  There
are ways around it, though.  You just have to be sneaky (but fully legal)!

>    greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny

Greg Yachuk		Informix Software Inc., Menlo Park, CA	(415) 322-4100
{uunet,pyramid}!infmx!greggy			!yes, I chose that login myself

And they offered us a roof above our heads
And like fools we beleived every last word they said.	-- The Christians

deal@kodak.UUCP (Stephen M. Deal) (07/16/88)

Greg -
	As much as you tried to introduce some objectivity into the
	comparison of DBMS products, someone will undoubtly bring
	up some facts  that you left out. Examples are: What version
	of each product was used? Did all of the products run on the
	exact same machine or did one of the products require more
	than 640k? :-)

	In my book, benchmarks aren't worth anything unless:
		a) All the products are run on the SAME machine.
		b) Each product runs the same set of transactions.
		c) Each vendor is permitted to tune their own product.

	Oh yes, how many applications REALLY require 50+ TPS?

	BTW, in a recent (~May, 1988) issue of Digital Review they discussed
	the predominant VAX/VMS RDBMSs. What I found interesting is that
	in the editorial of that issue DR states that DR Labs
	has been trying to benchmark Oracle for some time. The
	reason that they haven't done it (or published results if they have)
	is for the same reason that you gave, Oracle will not allow
	benchmarks to be published.

	Perhaps the reasoning is that the benchmark might be done improperly
	and produce erroneous results. Evidently Relational Technology took
	the risk and agreed to a benchmark of INGRES and INGRES/STAR.
	I would hope that DR continues to produce benchmarks on products
	using identical machines and transactions.

--
    Steve Deal	 UUCP: ..rutgers!rochester!kodak!deal

    Disclaimer:	"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion,
		 the above is mine and not that of my employer."

rbradbur@oracle.UUCP (Robert Bradbury) (07/16/88)

In article <590@hscfvax.harvard.edu>, pavlov@hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) writes:
> In article <178@turbo.oracle.UUCP>, rbradbur@oracle.UUCP (Robert Bradbury) writes (in response to another article):
> >

>   A while ago I attempted to arrange a set of cooperative benchmark runs
>   with other sites running other dbms's.  The two Oracle sites I talked to
>   claimed that their license agreements forbade publication of benchmark
>   results.  Don't know if this is completely true, but that is what I was
>   told.

This is true.  The license agreement prohibits publication of benchmark
results.  One reason for this is that some vendors will publish results
comparing apples with oranges and not make it completely clear to the user.
A benchmark was done last year at a Silicon Valley computer manufacturer
(who shall remain nameless); Unify later packaged and started publishing
these numbers showing it as having much faster insert rates than the other
RDBMS (without pointing out the much lower level interface it was using
to perform these inserts -- yes, Virginia; we can append records to the
database file faster than other people can parse and execute SQL statments...
:-) ).  Oracle threatened UNIFY with legal action due to the violation of
the license agreement and UNIFY has since that time stopped publishing
the numbers.  At the same time I heard some rumor that Informix was
taking Oracle to court involving "restraint of trade" involving this
license clause.

Yes, YOUR RDBMS dollars are paying lawyers to play these games.  sigh.

>   The only independent comparison benchmark (Ingres, Informix, and Oracle)
>   was a rather extensive one performed by a Palmer & Associates, Inc.
>   (Duluth, Ga).  This was performed on an IBM AT and involved apx. 130 sep-
>   arate query or update processes.  Several lines from the "executive sum-
>   mary" of the report:
>
>    "In general (using a geometric mean of normalized data approach) Ingres
>     was from 1.63 to 2.86 times faster than Informix, and Ingres was from
>     10.56 to 29.00 times faster than Oracle."
>
>    "Oracle was clearly outdistanced by both Ingres and Informix with 5 first
>     place, 40 second place and 65 third place finishes." (in retrievals)
>    "Oracle won 4 of 20 update record queries."
>
>     - etc.
>
>   This is not to say that this is the definitive word on these dbms's. But I
>   have to give it more credence than the "results" that have come from the
>   individual vendors themselves.

This is *EXACTLY* the type of thing I was refering to in my original
posting.  You *fail* to mention the versions which were being compared
in this benchmark.  Oracle, Informix and Ingres have had a history of
leapfrogging each other in performance benchmarks over the last 5 years.
If you take production releases at one point in time you get one set of
results; at another point in time you get another set.  You don't mention
what operating system the benchmark was performed on, what the system
configuration was, how much time was spent tuning the systems, etc.
And of course numbers from a PC AT are generalizable to VAXes, Suns,
Sequents, etc. :-)

I'd suggest you contact our UNIX marketing dept and request results for
a recent benchmark done at PACBELL.  As Oracle was picked over the other
vendors one would probably presume that the benchmark results were not
as bad as the study you are quoting.

I appreciate the comments that we do not want this to decay into a
we-beat-so-and-so on the following tests debate.  At the same time
I as an individual who has spent many long nights running these
benchmarks in competitive situations (and in the early days losing
many of them) get a little testy when people present a picture of Oracle's
performance which reflects past history more than current reality.

I will agree that DeWitt/TP1 tests give a very narrow view of DBMS performance
and that given differences in the various systems involved that it is
difficult to make reasonable comparisons.  The bottom line is that
if you want to know how your application will perform on these systems
YOU MUST BENCHMARK YOUR APPLICATION.  And even then I'll bet that
in a good percentage of the cases I can take your best efforts
and beat the application, RDBMS and operating system with a stick and
make your initial results look fairly silly.  (This is not to say
that you don't know what you are doing, just that I haven't seen
a benchmark yet where a clever person couldn't bend the results
significantly.)

As an example of how poor benchmarking efforts are I'll make the
statement that no one who has ever benchmarked RDBMS systems on
UNIX has ever bothered to verify which RDBMS really guarantee that
when you commit your transaction the data is physically on the disk.
(I'm sure I'll get some comments on this - :-)).  I make that statement
because in 5 years of benchmarking comparisons no one has ever told me
they knew how to monitor system calls or go in and examine the UNIX
FILE table to determine blocks were being written through the cache to the
disk.  The best they usually do is unplug the machine to see if the database
got corrupted -- sorry folks but that doesn't provide *proof* unless
you do it a few thousand times when you are executing 30 transactions
a second.

Oracle in fact lost a number of benchmarks over the years because
other vendors were ignoring the issue of data integrity.

>   The glossies and demo disk that Oracle sent me show that the new report
>   writer is, indeed, a vast improvement over the old (comparable to the
>   difference between a Model T Ford and a Taurus).  It is also an extra-
>   cost option.

Oracle has responded to customer requests to divide products up into
seperatly priced items so you don't have to pay for things you don't
need.  (the flip side of that coin is that you get to pay more for all
the things you do need.)

>   Some, Like Ingres, though, use the termcap syntax for this purpose,
>   regardless of which operating system the product is running under.

Given how difficult TERMCAP is to maintain I wouldn't consider this
a plus.  AT&T converted to TERMINFO to make it faster; they missed the
boat though because terminal descriptions belong in a database.

Sorry this turned out so long but I like to try and present a balanced
view of things.  A current Oracle employee (former RTI employee) told
me recently that he used my rather candid comments about Oracle's
less than stellar performance a few years ago to RTI's great
advantage in some sales situations.  Now that I think the situation
is more even you can be sure that I'm going to make point of
pointing out any holes in any performance claims.

Of course I can't say whether or not this reflects the opinions of Oracle's
management (most of them don't know what to do with me).
--
Robert Bradbury
Oracle Corporation
(206) 784-9474                            hplabs!oracle!rbradbur

pavlov@hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) (07/18/88)

In article <296@infmx.UUCP>, greggy@infmx.UUCP (greg yachuk) writes:

  [ re Oracle's licensing agreement forbidding publication of benchmark
    results ]

> ....................  We (here at Informix) were unable to publish our
> benchmarks versus Oracle because of this very license agreement.  There
> are ways around it, though.  You just have to be sneaky (but fully legal)!

  ... such as Cullinet's recent ad re VAX dbms's (last seen in June 20 Digital
      review, pages 64-65).  This one presents four of those little compari-
      son tables, comparing IDMS/SQL, Oracle, Ingres, and Rdb.  The dbms's are
      named in three of them and all are in the same order in each.  In the
      4th, "transaction processing speed", Cullinet's competitors are called
      "vendor x, vendor y, vendor z".

      One would assume that the same order was used in the transaction table
      as in the others.  If this is the case, then Oracle is the slowest of
      the four.  On the other hand, since Oracle would logically be seen as
      Cullinet's biggest competitior, then there is a chance that the order
      was shuffled, and the "slowest" is not really Oracle.......

      ad nauseum...

In article<180@turbo.oracle.UUCP>, rbradbur@oracle.UUCP(Robert Bradbury) writes:
> ....... The [Oracle] license agreement prohibits publication of benchmark
> results.  One reason for this is that some vendors will publish results
> comparing apples with oranges and not make it completely clear to the user.

   [ followed by an example and several legal maneuvers stemming from
     this issue]

> Yes, YOUR RDBMS dollars are paying lawyers to play these games.  sigh.

  Actually, the majority of the RDBMS dollars paid to the large vendors is
  spent on marketing, no ?  In Oracle's case (if I interpreted the last annual
  statement sent me), this was in the 70% of total revenue range ???   Sounds
  insane, so maybe not.

  Robert objects to the benchmark summary that I quoted:

> This is *EXACTLY* the type of thing I was refering to in my original
> posting.  You *fail* to mention the versions which were being compared
> in this benchmark.  Oracle, Informix and Ingres have had a history of
> leapfrogging each other in performance benchmarks over the last 5 years.
> ..... You don't mention what operating system the benchmark was performed
> on, what the system configuration was, how much time was spent tuning the
> systems, etc......

  Yet, rereading Robert's summary of Oracle's benchmark claims, I could not
  find any of the above information either.  I also have not seen anything to
  substantiate "... a history of leapfrogging each other..."

>                                ........... The bottom line is that
> if you want to know how your application will perform on these systems
> YOU MUST BENCHMARK YOUR APPLICATION. ..............

   How true. But, from what I've seen, not done often enough.  The number
   of selections based solely on "analyses" of vendor-supplied material,
   hearsay, and (even) quantity of advertising is astounding.

> ........ And even then I'll bet that
> in a good percentage of the cases I can take your best efforts
> and beat the application, RDBMS and operating system with a stick and
> make your initial results look fairly silly...........

  Also true but if I have done my homework, then it shouldn't matter.  I will
  be the one programming/designing my database and applications and in general,
  I will take the long view and look at what I can achieve without being too
  clever.

  greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny

aland@infmx.UUCP (Dr. Scump) (07/19/88)

: Brandon Allbery:
| Oracle has rollback, rollforward, and transaction logs.  The version I used
| (5.1) wasn't too hot on the speed front (watch, however, for Turbo Oracle)

: Robert Bradbury, Oracle:
| From rbradbur@oracle.UUCP@munnari.oz Fri Jul  8 16:19:35 1988
| Date: 8 Jul 88 23:19:35 GMT
|
| I *hate* statements like "wasn't too hot on the speed front".  Exactly
| *what* are you doing that gives you that impression?  We beat Informix
| and Ingres in a good percentage of the DeWitt benchmarks on a number of
| machines.  The functionality of a full-function RDBMS (transaction logs,
| security, rollback, roll-forward, read-consistancy, etc.) imposes a
| certian amount of overhead.  You cannot compare the performance of
| database systems which have those features with those that do not.

So, what is the implication here -- that the other products lack these
features?  How about some support for this claim?  What is a "good percentage
of" DeWitts?  How many is "a number of machines" (and out of how many in
the overall sample)?

: Dave Kellogg, Relational Tech:
| From: davek@rtech.rtech.com (Dave Kellogg)
| Newsgroups: comp.databases
| Subject: Re: ORACLE on the cheap... questions
| Date: 13 Jul 88 03:33:41 GMT

|       (Excellent comment on standards and benchmarks and their
|        pitfalls omitted)
|

| A Note On "The Net"
| -------------------
|
| This "WE beat vendor X" type quote, however, disturbs me.  If this continues,
| and becomes standard operating procedure for this newsgroup, it could easily
| mean that comp.databases will degenerate into nothing more than a forum for
| vendor cross-fire.  This degeneration is not unfeasible given that companies
| like Relational Technology, Informix, and Oracle employ literally thousands of
| people, and each could easily place a designated "net monitor" to fire back
| accusations at the other vendors.
| A little inter-vendor "teasing" is probably inevitable, but that's where
| I think it should stop.  Cluttering the net with "WE beat so-and-so" will
| neither reward the readers of this group, nor, in actualitly, any given
| DBMS vendor.
|
| David Kellogg

   Amen.

: G Pavlov, Harvard U.
| From: pavlov@hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov)
| Subject: Re: ORACLE on the cheap... questions
| Date: 14 Jul 88 15:40:55 GMT
|
|   The only independent comparison benchmark (Ingres, Informix, and Oracle)
|   was a rather extensive one performed by a Palmer & Associates, Inc.
|   (Duluth, Ga).  This was performed on an IBM AT and involved apx. 130 sep-
|   arate query or update processes.  Several lines from the "executive sum-
|   mary" of the report:
|
|    "In general (using a geometric mean of normalized data approach) Ingres
|     was from 1.63 to 2.86 times faster than Informix, and Ingres was from
|     10.56 to 29.00 times faster than Oracle."
|
|    "Oracle was clearly outdistanced by both Ingres and Informix with 5 first
|     place, 40 second place and 65 third place finishes." (in retrievals)
|    "Oracle won 4 of 20 update record queries."
|
|     - etc.
|
|   This is not to say that this is the definitive word on these dbms's. But I
|   have to give it more credence than the "results" that have come from the
|   individual vendors themselves.

: Stephen Deal, Kodak
| From: deal@kodak.UUCP (Stephen M. Deal)
| Subject: Re: ORACLE on the cheap... questions
| Date: 16 Jul 88 01:58:01 GMT
|
| 	In my book, benchmarks aren't worth anything unless:
| 		a) All the products are run on the SAME machine.
| 		b) Each product runs the same set of transactions.
| 		c) Each vendor is permitted to tune their own product.

I would add     d) Or, NO vendor is allowed to do application- or benchmark-
                   specific testing (as the user would likely experience in
                   a real-world situation)
        and     e) Similar products are compared (e.g. compiled vs. compiled,
                   interpreted vs. interpreted, closest match of capabilities)

Now, for the fun part.

: Robert Bradbury, Oracle
| From: rbradbur@oracle.UUCP (Robert Bradbury)
| Subject: Re: ORACLE on the cheap... questions
| Date: 16 Jul 88 04:25:26 GMT
|
| In article <590@hscfvax.harvard.edu>, pavlov@hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) writes:
| > In article <178@turbo.oracle.UUCP>, rbradbur@oracle.UUCP (Robert Bradbury) writes (in response to another article):
| > >

| >   A while ago I attempted to arrange a set of cooperative benchmark runs
| >   with other sites running other dbms's.  The two Oracle sites I talked to
| >   claimed that their license agreements forbade publication of benchmark
| >   results.  Don't know if this is completely true, but that is what I was
| >   told.
|
| This is true.  The license agreement prohibits publication of benchmark
| results.  One reason for this is that some vendors will publish results
| comparing apples with oranges and not make it completely clear to the user.

NO KIDDING!!!  Did you happen to miss the ads Oracle ran in UNIX WORLD for
the better part of the year "comparing" Oracle and Informix?

| Yes, YOUR RDBMS dollars are paying lawyers to play these games.  sigh.

Come on!  Just who started this benchmark "game", anyway?

| >     (Quotes the Palmer & Associates benchmarks again)
|
| This is *EXACTLY* the type of thing I was refering to in my original
| posting.  You *fail* to mention the versions which were being compared
| in this benchmark.  Oracle, Informix and Ingres have had a history of
| leapfrogging each other in performance benchmarks over the last 5 years.
| If you take production releases at one point in time you get one set of
| results; at another point in time you get another set.  You don't mention
| what operating system the benchmark was performed on, what the system
| configuration was, how much time was spent tuning the systems, etc.
| And of course numbers from a PC AT are generalizable to VAXes, Suns,
| Sequents, etc. :-)

NO KIDDING!
I think you will have a tough time defending this position to anyone who
has seen your ads in UNIX WORLD. (For example, the June '88 issue, page
10).  This ad claims to depict a "benchmark" in which Oracle claims a
resounding performance victory over Informix.  Some highlights:
   1) regarding your gripe about "you *fail* to mention what versions
      were being compared in the benchmark":  in this ad, you run Oracle
      5.0 (current version) against Informix version 2.0.  Version 2.0
      is OVER TWO YEARS OLD.  The current version for OVER A YEAR before
      this ad ran was 2.10.00 (now 2.10.03 is current).  There were also 3
      other releases in between, including a major enhancement release
      (2.00.05) which came out in December *86*.
   2) Informix-TURBO is displayed in the ad photo, implying that the
      "benchmarks" were run against TURBO, which was NOT TRUE.  TURBO
      did not exist in the version listed as benchmarked.
      (I just dare ya to let an independent run a legit benchmark of
      Oracle vs. Turbo).
   3) The ad states that the benchmark is an "industry standard" benchmark,
      but DOES NOT NAME IT.  It doesn't even name the PRODUCTS used; it
      could have been compiled embedded SQL against an interpreted ACE
      report, for all the ad says.
   4) The ad photo depicts a 3B2, although the benchmark was supposedly run
      on a Sun, implying that the performance stats apply to their "fire
      sale" 3B2 port.

| As an example of how poor benchmarking efforts are I'll make the
| statement that no one who has ever benchmarked RDBMS systems on
| UNIX has ever bothered to verify which RDBMS really guarantee that
| when you commit your transaction the data is physically on the disk.
| (I'm sure I'll get some comments on this - :-)).  I make that statement
| because in 5 years of benchmarking comparisons no one has ever told me
| they knew how to monitor system calls or go in and examine the UNIX
| FILE table to determine blocks were being written through the cache to the
| disk.  The best they usually do is unplug the machine to see if the database
| got corrupted -- sorry folks but that doesn't provide *proof* unless
| you do it a few thousand times when you are executing 30 transactions
| a second.                                             ---------------
  --------

  Won't touch that one...

| Oracle in fact lost a number of benchmarks over the years because
| other vendors were ignoring the issue of data integrity.

Ah, now to the new ad campaign.  Integrity.  You forget that UNIX from
the outset handled writes asynchronously for cooked devices -- I doubt that
any vendor really "ignored" this situation.  This is part of the reason
why several vendors came out with raw i/o capability, I suppose.
Recently, some versions support forced writes (via the O_SYNC flag in System
V and O_WSYNCH in XENIX), but this is new.  The O_SYNC  flag doesn't even show
up in AT&T's printed System V Programmer's Manual Volume 2 (? - I'm at home, I
think it's volume 2.  The one on system calls.)  My copies, anyway :-].

Besides, the real issue in the transaction logging methods with which I am
familiar (4 vendors encompassing UNIX, MVS, and VM, not including Oracle,
so this may not apply to Oracle) is whether the write completed to the
*transaction log*, not the database.  In the implementations I know, the data
on disk is essentially trashed by the recovery process; the most recent backup
is copied over the data and all committed transactions are reprocessed against
the backup, beginning from the backup or a checkpoint.  (Or, the transactions
after the checkpoint are removed, then reprocessed from the log in one other
implementation; I never did really understand that one).

The funniest thing is that they choose the Suns to run their benchmarks.
Sun 3.X machines DO NOT SUPPORT synchronous writes anyway (no O_SYNC flag
here, folks), so any claim that their benchmarks are hurt by "integrity
issues" on these machines is BOGUS.  The only way to force i/o is to use
raw devices; Oracle decries raw devices as being "complex" in their current
ad.   (If my understanding of Sun 3.X synchronicity is wrong, I will post
a followup and apology.  I confirmed this with a friend at Sun about a month
ago).  The current ads do *not* indicate that this integrity claim
applies only to certain (e.g SVR2+) ports, that I recall.

| Sorry this turned out so long but I like to try and present a balanced
| view of things.

Oh?    :-]

Mine also turned out longer that I expected or wanted, but I wanted
to present another side.  Now that everyone has been heard from, can
we take any further discussion to email?  Thanks.

I speak strictly for myself and not Informix; I am solely responsible
for any inaccuracies.

| Robert Bradbury
| Oracle Corporation
| (206) 784-9474                            hplabs!oracle!rbradbur

--
 Alan S. Denney  |  Informix Software, Inc.  |  {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland
 Disclaimer: These opinions are mine alone.  If I am caught or killed,

davek@infmx.UUCP (David Kosenko) (07/19/88)

In article<180@turbo.oracle.UUCP>, rbradbur@oracle.UUCP(Robert Bradbury) writes:

>                                ........... The bottom line is that
> if you want to know how your application will perform on these systems
> YOU MUST BENCHMARK YOUR APPLICATION. ..............

	Be careful here - you are assuming that the end-user has a single
application that can be benchmarked.  When this is the case, fine.  But
often, a DBMS is purchased without knowing in advance everything  for
which it will be used.  There may be many, many applications that will
be developed using this product, some of which were not even dreamed
of at evaluation time.  Also, the applications can be very, very
different in structure.  In cases such as these, it becomes impossible
to benchmark your application.  This leaves the person in charge of making
a purchase decision dependent upon general benchmark results for performance
evaluation.

Must dash -
Dave
--
Disclaimer:  The opinions expresses herein are by no means those
 of Informix Software.

eric@pyrps5 (Eric Bergan) (07/20/88)

In article <302@infmx.UUCP> aland@infmx.UUCP (Dr. Scump) writes:

>NO KIDDING!
>I think you will have a tough time defending this position to anyone who
>has seen your ads in UNIX WORLD. (For example, the June '88 issue, page
>10).  This ad claims to depict a "benchmark" in which Oracle claims a
>resounding performance victory over Informix.

	Just to add a little fuel to the fire...

	The latest ComputerWorld (dated July 18th) has a two page
Informix ad. In it, it compares revenues for Informix, Oracle, and
INGRES, presumably in some segment of the UNIX marketplace. I'll leave
this graph to the financial people.

	But it also includes a bar graph of "Informix", "Competitor #1",
and "Competitor #2", which is labeled a TP1 benchmark study, and
labels the y axis "transactions per second", without any actual numbers.
Informix is shown to be about 2.5 times competitor #1 and 2 times
competitor #2.

>Some highlights:
>   1) regarding your gripe about "you *fail* to mention what versions
>      were being compared in the benchmark":  in this ad, you run Oracle
>      5.0 (current version) against Informix version 2.0.  Version 2.0
>      is OVER TWO YEARS OLD.  The current version for OVER A YEAR before
>      this ad ran was 2.10.00 (now 2.10.03 is current).  There were also 3
>      other releases in between, including a major enhancement release
>      (2.00.05) which came out in December *86*.

	Ditto for the new Informix ad. No mention of what versions
of any of the products.

>   3) The ad states that the benchmark is an "industry standard" benchmark,
>      but DOES NOT NAME IT.  It doesn't even name the PRODUCTS used; it
>      could have been compiled embedded SQL against an interpreted ACE
>      report, for all the ad says.

	Ditto for the new Informix ad. No mention of what products
were used.

>   4) The ad photo depicts a 3B2, although the benchmark was supposedly run
>      on a Sun, implying that the performance stats apply to their "fire
>      sale" 3B2 port.

	Ditto for the new Informix ad. No mention of what platform was
used for the test results.

	The point I am trying to make is that I don't think you should
necessarily hold an individual employee of a company responsible for
their ad campaigns unless that person actually did provide the copy
for the ad, or approved it. Certainly a one or two page ad is not
going to contain the same level of depth that a performance brief would
have. Yes, I would like to see some more reality injected into the
benchmark wars, but given their very nature, I don't think that is going
to happen in the near future. Nor is it something new - look at the
current DEC/IBM war over IBM's RAMP-C benchmark - that fight has been
going on for several years.

	Could we please tone down the attacks in this group? If you
want to post performance briefs on tests on your respective products,
I think all of us would like to read them. But holier than thou arguments
really don't get us anywhere. We all know that there are benchmarks
that Informix wins, others that Oracle wins, others that INGRES wins,
others that Sybase wins, ... Further, each of the products is constantly
evolving and improving both functionality and performance. I work with
the R&D and porting groups at most of the database companies, and believe
me, there are definite strong points to each of the DBMS's. There are
also weak points, and in every case that I know of, the vendor is aware
of these and working on improving it.

	We now return you to the your regularly scheduled show, "Battle
of the Database Benchmarks".

rbradbur@oracle.UUCP (Robert Bradbury) (07/21/88)

In article <597@hscfvax.harvard.edu>, pavlov@hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov)
 writes:

>  Actually, the majority of the RDBMS dollars paid to the large vendors is
>  spent on marketing, no ?  In Oracle's case (if I interpreted the last annual
>  statement sent me), this was in the 70% of total revenue range ???   Sounds
>  insane, so maybe not.

This is an accurate statement.  Oracle's R&D expenditures have been running
between 13% and 10% of revenues over the last 3 years.  Microsoft's were 11%
last year.  Even semiconductor houses (which one would expect to have to
have very high R&D expenditures) rarely get over 25%.  Of course given the
way annual reports are laid out non-R&D expenditures can only fall into
3 other areas: cost of goods, sales & marketing, general and admin overhead.
The cost of goods is very low in the software business and general and admin
overhead is less than 10% in any company I've looked at.  That means that
most software companies spend a lot of money on sales and marketing.

Of course this isn't all going to pay lawyers.  I suspect that Oracle's
legal staff is quite a bit smaller than AT&T's UNIX licensing staff (:-))
even though we probably have more contracts to deal with.

Part of the "marketing" expense is involved in educating the D.P. community
on things like standards (SQL), portability and connectability.  It also
goes to pay for those great little ads with Oracle F-14's shooting down
Ashton Tate biplanes.  The "sales" expense goes into maintaining regional
offices in most major cities (to provide pre-sales technical support and
education centers where you can take a course in how to use the product).
Also included are the expenses of all the trade shows (Comdex, UniForum, etc.)
I'm amazed myself at how much companies have to spend to promote their
products but I think that is a reflection of the world we live in.

>   Robert objects to the benchmark summary that I quoted:
> >
> > This is *EXACTLY* the type of thing I was refering to in my original
> > posting.  You *fail* to mention the versions which were being compared
> > in this benchmark.  Oracle, Informix and Ingres have had a history of
> > leapfrogging each other in performance benchmarks over the last 5 years.
> > ..... You don't mention what operating system the benchmark was performed
> > on, what the system configuration was, how much time was spent tuning the
> > systems, etc......
>
>   Yet, rereading Robert's summary of Oracle's benchmark claims, I could not
>   find any of the above information either.  I also have not seen anything to
>   substantiate "... a history of leapfrogging each other..."

Touche.  I will have to see what I can come up with to back up these claims.
I suspect that the hard numbers I need to back it up are covered by a
non-disclosure agreement of some sort.  I make the claim based on the fact
that the sort/merge/join modifications made to Oracle 5.0 were done
specifically to outperform earlier releases of Informix and Ingres
which had been improved to outperform Oracle 4.0.

One place to start is UNIX Review June '88 pg 4 where a benchmark done on
a Sun 3/160 using Oracle version 5.0 and Informix version 2.0 has Oracle
doing a select of 1000 rows, a projection of 10000 rows, summed 100 groups
and selected 100 groups in less time than Informix could select the first
1000 rows.  Now I believe these are all DeWitt queries but I'll have to
do some research to be sure.  If the Informix guys are on their toes
I suspect they have a response to this.

--
*** All of the above is my opinion only.  Reader's discretion is advised. ***
Robert Bradbury				206-784-9474

pavlov@hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) (07/21/88)

In article <302@infmx.UUCP>, aland@infmx.UUCP (Dr. Scump) writes:

> Quoting RTI's Dave Kellogg:
>> ....companies like Relational Technology, Informix, and Oracle employ
>> literally thousands of people, and each could easily place a designated
>> "net monitor" to fire back accusations at the other vendors.

   Isn't this already the case (not just dbms vendors) ?  How should one in-
   terpret the appearance of solitary net "users" from very large companies,
   usually technically astute, but whose "contributions" invariably
   boost his/her company's products and with few exceptions denigrates com-
   petitors' ??  "fire back" misses the boat - I would say that the real dam-
   age is usually accomplished much more subtly and "professionally".

   greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny

dror@infmx.UUCP (Dror Matalon) (07/23/88)

In article <599@hscfvax.harvard.edu> pavlov@hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) writes:
>In article <302@infmx.UUCP>, aland@infmx.UUCP (Dr. Scump) writes:
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>> Quoting RTI's Dave Kellogg:
>>> ....companies like Relational Technology, Informix, and Oracle employ
>>> literally thousands of people, and each could easily place a designated
>>> "net monitor" to fire back accusations at the other vendors.
>
>   Isn't this already the case (not just dbms vendors) ?  How should one in-
>   terpret the appearance of solitary net "users" from very large companies,
>   usually technically astute, but whose "contributions" invariably
>   boost his/her company's products and with few exceptions denigrates com-
>   petitors' ??  "fire back" misses the boat - I would say that the real dam-
>   age is usually accomplished much more subtly and "professionally".
>
>   greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny

    Greg,

	Aland (Alan Denny), who posts most of the Informix info, does it on
    his own and with no support from the company. I suspect that Robert
    Bradbury does the same for Oracle, and others for RTI. I suspect that most
    of these people , do it on their own because they care about their
    companies.
	The last benchmark wars did get a little out of hand, but I seriously
    doubt that these were a result of corporate strategy to "subtly and
    professionally denigrate competitors."
	About a year ago somebody from RTI explained why something that
    was thought of as a bug in our product, was a result of the Relational
    Model, and couldn't be solved in any of the products on the market !!!
	So at least in this news group  I don't think things are that bad.

		Dror

Dror Matalon                        Informix Software Inc.
{pyramid,uunet}!infmx!dror          4100 Bohannon drive
                                    Menlo Park, Ca. 94025
                                    415 322-4100

The opinions expressed here Are of mine and probably
Do not reflect Informix Software Inc.

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (07/23/88)

We seem to have some misunderstandings and some time lags here. . . .

As quoted from <178@turbo.oracle.UUCP> by rbradbur@oracle.UUCP (Robert Bradbury):
+---------------
| In article <8208@ncoast.UUCP>, allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
| > Oracle has rollback, rollforward, and transaction logs.  The version I used
| > (5.1) wasn't too hot on the speed front (watch, however, for Turbo Oracle)
|
| I *hate* statements like "wasn't too hot on the speed front".  Exactly
| *what* are you doing that gives you that impression?  We beat Informix
+---------------

Informix 3.3 (which is a good deal faster than that miserable SQL product
that Roger Sippl is now trying to cram down our throats!) and Unify were my
benchmarks.  Admitted, neither does the full set of rollback/rollforward and
transaction logs -- but Unify does two of them with little speed penalty.  I
could see rollback implemented on top of the existing facility with little
trouble, and in fact the functions are provided to do this oneself
"manually" by opening the transaction log.

+---------------
| SQL*Report is a very old program and is being replaced with a new report
| writer which is as good as anything currently on the market.  SQL*Forms
+---------------

And, at about the time I was writing my original message, it came out for
SunOS.  Now for 6.0 and SQL*ReportWriter for Altos -- I told them I'd
evaluate it for them when it came out.

+---------------
| Oracle terminal definitions.)  Can I ask how many menuing systems based
| on termcap you have running under VM, MVS and DOS?  :-)
+---------------

I was thinking more of the graphics.  Accell IDS and Informix-4GL both keep
the graphics in the terminal definitions (termcap in both cases); I saw
nothing to prevent your keeping character graphics in the Oracle terminal
descriptions -- but you force me to use separate screens for separate
terminal types instead.  When I have to support a client which has a random
mixture of Altos III's, Altos V's, and Wyse 50's, that is totally
unacceptable.

+---------------
| > The SQL supports quite a few more functions than (say) Informix or Unify,
| > but not as many as Progress.  Nor can new functions be linked into SQL.
|
| Well, you in fact can add functions to SQL if you know what tables to modify
| and can relink the kernel.  We have customers who are running with special
+---------------

Then you need a more compact version of the link kit, perhaps.  I know of
at least one client that would benefit from having transcendental functions
in SQL... as it turns out, I'm working in C linked into RM/COBOL instead
(ugh!).

+---------------
| to serve is not just the UNIX marketplace.  SQL*FORMS will work with
| multiple terminal types if you provide the terminal description.
+---------------

But I have to declare three different screens to use on terminals with three
different character graphics sequences!!!  PLEASE add character graphics to
the terminal description and use generic characters in the screens!  It's
not all that difficult -- Accell does it all the time.

Oh, yeah -- while I have you by the ear [ ;-) ] ...

The 386- and PC-flavored market you've expanded into isn't a big one for
designing one's own front-ends, so SQL*Forms really needs to be overhauled
to make it more generally functional.  Problems I've had with it include:

* Using the "select/sort" option in the block definition can get one into
  big trouble if one adds a constraint on a field (say, to perform upshifting
  on a query) -- I set up something along the lines of (working from memory,
  the Oracle manuals are 30 miles from here and it's midnight...):

  [prompt is "WHERE:"]
  MYTABLE.MYFIELD = UPCASE(':SOMEFIELD')

  This worked UNLESS there was a single quote in the field, at which point
  the SQL interface threw a fit and scared the sh*t out of the data entry
  operator.  Why is the :FIELD expression a text substitution instead of a
  binding?

* Certain useful operations aren't possible, due to the separation of
  user-initiated operations and database updates.  (KEY-NXTREC != NXTREC)
  This resulted in gobs of hooks on KEY-* and *still* didn't execute my hook
  everywhere it was needed.  (I don't remember what the exact problem was;
  I can try to restore the backup onto my personal system and reproduce it.
  I *do* remember that I couldn't get the following to work:  in English,
  "after query go to next block, query 'detail' records, and return".  In
  fact, there were a few examples in the SQL*Forms manual that, typed into
  a form exactly as printed, produced errors.)

Sometimes I wish I could take all the good parts of all the DBMSes I've
worked with and roll them up together into a single good DBMS.  It's
painfully obvious from the user's (and developer's) standpoint that DBMSes
have quite a bit of maturing to do.  (That's not really a flame, I can't
realistically expect a DBMS to show up "fully-formed and wearing the latest
style hat" -- it's just frustrating to be aware of the limitations and not
be able to do anything about it.  Such is the price of the exponential rate
of software development, as seen from my vantagepoint.)

++Brandon
--

As quoted from <2316@rtech.rtech.com> by davek@rtech.rtech.com (Dave Kellogg):
+---------------
| In article <178@turbo.oracle.UUCP> rbradbur@oracle.UUCP (Robert Bradbury) writes
| >
| >I *hate* statements like "wasn't too hot on the speed front".  Exactly
| >*what* are you doing that gives you that impression?  We beat Informix
| >and Ingres in a good percentage of the DeWitt benchmarks on a number of
| >machines.
|
| I have several comments on Robert's recent posting, the least important
| of which is that what he says above is simply not objectively true.
+---------------

And, as I recall, there was the benchmark where they came in dead last!!!
(You know, the one that led to the development of Turbo Oracle.)

The real problem is that even if you use the same benchmark on all DBMSes,
you may still be comparing apples to oranges.  I, for one, wouldn't even
consider running Informix-SQL on a large database (at least, not without
Informix-Turbo).  Not a flame, just an example of the fact that different
DBMSes have different areas of applicability.  (FilePro is even less useful
on large databases -- but for small ones, it's smaller and faster than any
of the big guys.  You have to match the database to the task.  And TP1 tells
us nothing about, for example, whether Oracle or Unify will perform
respectably on a document-filing database I wrote in Informix-SQL.
Applicability for a specific task isn't quantifiable by a general benchmark.)

+---------------
| For further information on the "DeWitt" benchmark, see the paper entitled
| "Benchmarking DBMS Systems, A Systematic Approach" by Dr. David DeWitt and
| (I believe now, Dr.) Dina Bitton of the University of Wisconsin.
|
| I will investigate the copyright on this document and see if I am able to
| distribute copies to interested parties.  Please send e-mail to me and I'll
| let you if/when I can send you one.
+---------------

SInce I'm already talking here, consider this a request.

+---------------
| This "WE beat vendor X" type quote, however, disturbs me.  If this continues,
| and becomes standard operating procedure for this newsgroup, it could easily
| mean that comp.databases will degenerate into nothing more than a forum for
| vendor cross-fire.  This degeneration is not unfeasible given that companies
+---------------

Not as long as the aggressive user/developer-types like me are around.  ;-)
And I *do* mean aggressive -- there are probably *still* people at Informix
who are shuddering at the bug list I handed them for Informix-SQL 1.0 (not
that the bugs haven't been long fixed, but...) [36 bugs, each documented in
excruciating detail, often with workarounds.  The printed document was some
50 pages long] and I managed to p*ss off a few people at Data Progress last
year as well.  I'm currently in the process of annoying some Unify T/S types;
how far that'll go will be determined by how well my copy of Accell 1.4
works when I get it.  (The bug list for 1.3 is approaching the size of the
Informix-SQL 1.x list -- but an indeterminate part seems to be a bug in
Altos's malloc() on the 386/1000.  The symptoms in Accell strongly resemble
the symptoms of Jove 4.7 compiled on the beast.  [NEVER run Version 1.0 of
an OS!])

[You may have noticed that I'm silent on the topic of Ingres.  Show me a
copy for either Altos 386 or Macintosh and that'll change; I'm always
willing to try out new DBMSes, but I need a copy that runs on the systems I
have available to me first!  --And don't talk PC to me unless it runs on an
8088; I'm not about to upgrade the miserable thing.]

Okay, I'll stop terrorizing you DBMS types now.  [ ;-) ]

++Brandon
--

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (07/29/88)

As quoted from <180@turbo.oracle.UUCP> by rbradbur@oracle.UUCP (Robert Bradbury):
+---------------
| (who shall remain nameless); Unify later packaged and started publishing
| these numbers showing it as having much faster insert rates than the other
| RDBMS (without pointing out the much lower level interface it was using
| to perform these inserts -- yes, Virginia; we can append records to the
| database file faster than other people can parse and execute SQL statments...
| :-) ).  Oracle threatened UNIFY with legal action due to the violation of
+---------------

Why?  Because they were right?

I'm currently discussing this with an Informix TS type.  Frankly, whatever
supposed benefit you get from SQL is lost when you have to pass character
SQL statements down a pipe or through shared memory to be parsed at runtime
and then get the data back the same way.  (PIPE_TWO_TASK: is miserable.  But
at least you ship FAST_TWO_TASK: with the kernel:  to get the equivalent in
Informix one must buy Informix-Turbo.)  Not only is Unify's (and Informix
3.3's) database updating low level, but (in the case of Unify) the ESQL is
translated _at_compile_time_ into the same low-level C code... which makes
for blinding speed compared to runtime parsing of complex grammars.  (Network
hooks aren't that difficult, either, Unify has had UNIPROC for quite a while
now.  It passes requests, but *not* in the form of ASCII grammars.)

Do not make the assumption that people will accept loss of speed in return
for a *little* more portability.  A bytecode network interface is just as
amenable to an ANSI standard as SQL is, and it's faster because it doesn't
need to be parsed and the statements end up being smaller anyway.

+---------------
| This is *EXACTLY* the type of thing I was refering to in my original
| posting.  You *fail* to mention the versions which were being compared
| in this benchmark.  Oracle, Informix and Ingres have had a history of
| leapfrogging each other in performance benchmarks over the last 5 years.
+---------------

I would *love* to bench Informix 3.3 against Oracle based on this statement.
Maybe I will (of course I can't publish the results, but it should be
interesting nonetheless).  --Certainly an application that had been running
in 3.3 for years slowed down abruptly when moved into Oracle....  (Again,
SQL parsing and shipping data through (pipes|shared memory) has disastrous
effects on speed.  I expect Informix-SQL is no better.)

+---------------
| a recent benchmark done at PACBELL.  As Oracle was picked over the other
| vendors one would probably presume that the benchmark results were not
| as bad as the study you are quoting.
+---------------

We implemented the *same* application on the *same* machine in *four* DBMSes.
I don't think you want to hear the results, and neither will Informix because
they shatter a few of Mr. Sippl's cherished myths.  It is this which provided
the objective proof of what I had noticed on my own previously (i.e. SQL is
less efficient than low-level access).  I should like to try it in a few
others as well and see what happens; there are other considerations in the
use of SQL than just the need to parse it at runtime.

+---------------
| many of them) get a little testy when people present a picture of Oracle's
| performance which reflects past history more than current reality.
+---------------

But the future of the DBMS is, quite frankly, *slower* then the past.  At
least, so far; and while you can speed up the hardware to compensate the
older DBMSes will be ported to that new hardware and keep its lead.

+---------------
| if you want to know how your application will perform on these systems
| YOU MUST BENCHMARK YOUR APPLICATION.  And even then I'll bet that
| in a good percentage of the cases I can take your best efforts
| and beat the application, RDBMS and operating system with a stick and
| make your initial results look fairly silly.  (This is not to say
+---------------

...don't forget to look at the interface as well.  I tossed the Progress
Test Drive after trying to build some screens that turn out to be trivial
in both Accell/Generator and SQL*Forms.  In that case, speed is worthless if
you can't figure out how to implement the application in the first place.
(Note that recent releases of Progress are supposed to have a screen generator
in them, so this argument may or may not still apply).  Progress's frame
handling language -- a language similar to SQL in style -- is just another
nail in the coffin of those language types; it's perfectly possible to be
non-procedural without being opaque.  (Informix Ace, Unify RPT and Accell/
Language, and the database access code -- not involving frame descriptions --
of Progress are good examples of this brand of "semi-non-procedural" code
which gets the benefits of non-procedural code without the flaws.)

+---------------
| >   Some, Like Ingres, though, use the termcap syntax for this purpose,
| >   regardless of which operating system the product is running under.
|
| Given how difficult TERMCAP is to maintain I wouldn't consider this
| a plus.  AT&T converted to TERMINFO to make it faster; they missed the
| boat though because terminal descriptions belong in a database.
+---------------

It *is* in a database.  So what if it's hierarchical instead of relational?
And the problem with using a relational DBMS for this is that nobody will be
bothered to design a simple DBMS that can be standard Unix; instead we're
all having C-ISAM shoved down our throats.  (A simple B-tree library and
intermediate-level database routines have been posted to comp.sources.misc;
if someone with a bit more savvy in B-trees wants to finish implementing
the delete code we wouldn't need to license the database from someone else.
Termcap, after all, doesn't exactly need to be blazingly fast at -- or even
capable of -- TP1.)

Just stirring up the hornet's nest. . . .

++Brandon