[comp.databases] OLTP, New releases of Oracle and Rd

kworrell@urbsdc.Urbana.Gould.COM (08/05/88)

This brings up an interesting question.  Where should mirrorred
disks be implemented, in the DBMS or in the OS?

Gould has implemented mirrored disks in the OS making explicit
mirroring by the DBMS unnecessary.

If interested, I suggest you look for the following paper
at Uniforum 1989:

	Using Mirrorred Disks to Enhance Data Availability,
		Jim Brennan, Dave Healy,
		(both at Gould CSD, Urbana).

You can surely get some info from a Gould Marketing Rep
if you want to see one uses this under UTX/32 (our UN*X).

Kurt J. Worrell	                 USEnet1:    ihnp4!uiucuxc!ccvaxa!kworrell
Gould CSD-Urbana                 ARPAnet:    kworrell@gswd-vms.arpa
1101 E. University               !ARPAnet1:  kworrell@Gould.COM
Urbana, IL 61801                 !ARPAnet2:  kworrell@gswd-vms.Gould.COM
**** Standard Disclaimer ***     BELLnet:    (217) 384-8500, x740

friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) (08/06/88)

In article <28400002@urbsdc>, kworrell@urbsdc.Urbana.Gould.COM writes:

> This brings up an interesting question.  Where should mirrorred
> disks be implemented, in the DBMS or in the OS?
>
> Gould has implemented mirrored disks in the OS making explicit
> mirroring by the DBMS unnecessary.

AT&T has disk mirroring as well (in the O.S.) on their SCSI
devices; it seems pretty well-supported although we have not
used it yet.

I get the impression from the docs that mirroring is pretty
easy with SCSI because there is some kind of support for it
in the interface -- anybody know this?

--
Steve Friedl    V-Systems, Inc.  +1 714 545 6442    3B2-kind-of-guy
friedl@vsi.com     {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl    attmail!vsi!friedl

george@rebel.UUCP (George M. Sipe) (08/07/88)

In article <28400002@urbsdc> kworrell@urbsdc.Urbana.Gould.COM writes:
>This brings up an interesting question.  Where should mirrorred
>disks be implemented, in the DBMS or in the OS?
>
>Gould has implemented mirrored disks in the OS making explicit
>mirroring by the DBMS unnecessary.

and

In article <254@quintus.UUCP> jbeard@quintus.uucp (Jeff Beard) writes:
>Your criteria is the bread and butter of the Tandem Non-stop system.
>Suggest you contact a vendor representative for documentation.

Well, if we are going to be commercial here, Tolerant Systems offers
multiple disk mirroring called n-plexing.  It allows for use of
dissimilar media, automatic revives, and other features.  Additionally
TX is Unix - unlike Tandem.  Like Tandem, it is fault-tolerant to any
single point of hardware or software failure, loosely coupled, distributed,
and a single system image in a global name space.

Of use to db systems, it provides kernel implemented transaction framing,
255 fds per process, O_SYNC on open/fcntl, "crash proof" filesystems,
extent based files (up to 8MB per extent) on a per file basis, and many
other features.  Raw I/O is totally unnecessary, for instance.

You compare this to Gould and Tandem and draw your own conclusions.
Of course, like any vendor, we are thrilled to send you more info.

--
George M. Sipe,		Phone: (404) 662-1533
Tolerant Systems, 6961 Peachtree Industrial, Norcross, GA  30071

kworrell@urbsdc.Urbana.Gould.COM (08/08/88)

It looks like there is a consensus from people who do OS work:

	Gould                 - O. S. (un*x)
	Tandem                - O. S. (!un*x)
	Tolerant Systems      - O. S. (un*x)
	AT&T                  - O. S. (unix), SCSI only.

Does anybody from any of the DB corporations want to get a
short plug for the mirroring they provide?  Plus, we're always
interested in getting more OS opinions....

I am very interested in trying to get some standard benchmark
which will measure how fast these mirroring facilities do their
job.  In particular, I would like to see how mirroring in the
OS compares to mirroring in the DBMS (a problem since we don't
have anybody from DB corps who want to advertise their mirroring
facilities).

Does anybody here think that mirroring can be used to reduce the
amount of work in writing transaction logs (for rollback/recovery)?

Kurt J. Worrell	                 USEnet1:    uiucuxc!ccvaxa!kworrell

fst@mcgp1.UUCP (Skip Tavakkolian) (08/09/88)

In article <779@vsi.UUCP>, friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
> In article <28400002@urbsdc>, kworrell@urbsdc.Urbana.Gould.COM writes:
> > Gould has implemented mirrored disks in the OS making explicit
[deleted]
> AT&T has disk mirroring as well (in the O.S.) on their SCSI devices;
[deleted]
> Steve Friedl    V-Systems, Inc.  +1 714 545 6442    3B2-kind-of-guy

To the best of my knowledge, mirroring is only supported on the 3B4000.
If, in fact, it is available on the 3B2-500, and 600s, I sure like to know.

Sincerely
--
Fariborz ``Skip'' Tavakkolian
UUCP	...!uw-beaver!tikal!mcgp1!fst